Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #46
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
ApK

You have to buy those derringers used now and the price is pretty high. You can get new two shot ones almost any caliber for $300 or so new.

I liked the special magazine issue on the guns in the Appaloosa movie about 2008. I wish I could collect some of those old guns from about 1800 on up, but my wife said she would need a new larger house (maybe just for her.) I said "well, you have a barn" and the conversation went down hill from there.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #47
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Hammerless?
The shells were probably smokeless powder as well!

And no ram rod.
Isn't "hammerless" the term they use for shotguns with no external hammer? Wikipedia agrees with me, if that means anything to you . We did our own reloading at school as well. Clay target shooting was a fun if rather expensive sport, it only really happened for us because a couple of our teachers were enthusiasts. I learned to shoot on the farm, just part of growing as a farm kid, like driving a tractor etc., but it was participating in this sport where I really learned about gun safety. (After which I was often horrified to see the cavalier way that other people used them.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #48
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
you heed physics admonition!

:
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #49
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
you heed physics admonition!

:
Forsooth!

(I'm a sucker for puns, it seemed like too good a chance to let slip. )
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #50
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Isn't "hammerless" the term they use for shotguns with no external hammer?
I have heard them called that - but it is a bit silly of a term.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #51
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Isn't "hammerless" the term they use for shotguns with no external hammer? Wikipedia agrees with me, if that means anything to you .
Then Wikipedia agrees with both of us.

Reread the post to, as they say sometimes, "get my drift."
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #52
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Not one I can "get away with"? (Trying and make it seem I like I'm still on topic. )

Quote:
Then Wikipedia agrees with both of us.

Reread the post to, as they say sometimes, "get my drift."
Oh. Whoops. I was going to try and use the excuse that it was getting late, but that post of mine was early evening ... so my excuse must be that it wasn't late enough.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #53
frahse
occasional author

by gmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Hammerless is a standard designation for many weapons. Shotguns, pistols, etc. Just means no external hammer and that has many ramifications, but this isn't a firearms blog.

My concealed carry for example is hammerless. Less chance of being snagged on the draw.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #54
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
by gmw

Hammerless is a standard designation for many weapons. Shotguns, pistols, etc. Just means no external hammer and that has many ramifications, but this isn't a firearms blog.

My concealed carry for example is hammerless. Less chance of being snagged on the draw.
Do you work in Law Enforcement frahse?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #55
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Do you work in Law Enforcement frahse?
No, but I am a good old Southern Boy, proud and true, and was in the military. Always loved shooting. Started with a pea shooter, and moved up. Quite a ways up actually.

It is only lately as I get older, that I am clearing out a ton of stuff I have collected over the years, guns, rolling stock, light watercraft, old electronics, clothes, old family stuff, etc.
I have begin to realize that the important stuff is things that have been in the family. A great new gun or an acquired antique muzzle loader doesn't come close to the intrinsic value of dad's old S&W snub nose which we had to turn the attic inside out to find, and mom wanted out of the house when he passed.
That gun has history, almost like a patina.

I realized that I had to reduce in size or buy another barn. We have two now, her big one and mine and hers which also is a garage.