Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book should we read for the June Discussion?
Persuasion by Jane Austen 15 39.47%
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Oh my gosh, I can't believe I made it back in time for the run-off! I decided to read the threads one by one, and just read the first round voting and was surprised that War of the Worlds didn't make it. Thank goodness! I wouldn't mind reading it, but it was pretty much last of what I would've liked to have read from the nominations and we just read Wells not too long ago (and I was thinking it had a good chance to win).

Anyway, then I opened this thread expecting to find a winner already determined, but the poll is still running, so yay. Of the two that made it, I'm definitely supporting Ivanhoe. I'd love to try it, and I've never been a big fan of Austen. At least Persuasion is one I haven't read though, if it should win. But my vote is for Ivanhoe.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Oh my gosh, I can't believe I made it back in time for the run-off! ...Anyway, then I opened this thread expecting to find a winner already determined, but the poll is still running, so yay. ...
I knew there was a reason I was late starting the poll this month!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Ivanhoe has won....Not sure if I will participate or not...
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Ivanhoe has won....Not sure if I will participate or not...
Well there is a film version. With Elizabeth Taylor as Rebecca.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
...or the TV Version from the 80's that I grew up with.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Free streaming for US Amazon Prime members.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Ivanhoe won, but it was a close race. For the first couple of days, Persuasion was in the lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Excellent news for us Prime members!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Excellent news for us Prime members!
Yes, that is good news. Thanks for the heads up!

But will watching it count for the book club??
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #24
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hmmm - at another time, I would have been excited to have Ivanhoe as a book club read as it's definitely on my agenda to read this. But I just can't see me consuming a 500+ book on top of my other reads at the moment.

Have fun though. I'm sure it will be a great read.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #25
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm going to give it a try ....completely missed it in Eng Lit class in high school...I chose Thomas Hardy instead. Plus, school just got out for the summer...so I'll have a little extra time to dive in. Just downloaded my copy from the the MobileRead Library: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32846 (PRC format)
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:48 AM   #26
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookatarian View Post
I'm going to give it a try ....completely missed it in Eng Lit class in high school...I chose Thomas Hardy instead. Plus, school just got out for the summer...so I'll have a little extra time to dive in. Just downloaded my copy from the the MobileRead Library: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32846 (PRC format)
Oh you poor thing - Thomas Hardy? That must've hurt.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #27
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookatarian View Post
I've downloaded that copy and it's on my Kindle.

The last time I read it was for my High School English class {too many years ago} and I was far more interested in scifi at that time {still am, for that matter}. Hence, it got a pretty cursory reading aimed at passing a test. This time I'll try to give it its due.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #28
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Oh you poor thing - Thomas Hardy? That must've hurt.
It soooo did! It was a long time ago, but I don't want to read his books again, ever. I am looking forward to seeing what I missed in Ivanhoe.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 AM   #29
Bookatarian
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I was far more interested in scifi at that time {still am, for that matter}. Hence, it got a pretty cursory reading aimed at passing a test.
Me too...and so did Thomas Hardy (all 3 of the books), enough to do my paper anyway. Tess was the best of the lot.

PS: Sorry for the double posting, I just saw how to multi-quote, but cannot find the delete.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #30
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I recall reading Ivanhoe in my early adolescent years. I was at that time interested in reading every fictional novel covering the history of England, from the time of Roman-Celtic conflicts up until the story of “Bonnie Prince Charlie.” Looking back I would characterize almost all of those books as romance novels for teenage boys. Not being by Walter Scott, I imagine that most of them are no longer even in print.

So I wonder a great deal just how much Ivanhoe will now appeal to me. That and I had forgotten just how long that book is. So I am not sure that I will not make do this month with just watching the film again.