Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #16
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Martinez - A Nameless Witch
McKillip - RiddleMaster, Forgotten Beasts of Eld, Ombria in Shadow, Fool's Run, Changeling
Louise Cooper - Time's Master and Chaos Gate Triologies
Lilith SaintCrow - Working for the Devil / Dante Valentine Series
Katherine Kurtz's Deryni Series
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #17
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Better late than never ....

Scott Lynch - brilliant, I think you'll like 'em, and put 'em on yer Like List ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I would add Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea series to your list.
I would stay away from anything she's written.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #19
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Scott Lynch - brilliant, I think you'll like 'em, and put 'em on yer Like List ....

The Lies of Locke Lamora was great!

I've got the others on my TBR list.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:15 AM   #20
Kode
Kode began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
C.S. Friedman
Trudi Canavan
Kode is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #21
Kode
Kode began at the beginning.

Terry Brooks
Kode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:29 AM   #22
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
John C. Wright - The Chronicles of Chaos books. Not much fantasy written based on the Greek Titans and Gods so it's unusual.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #23
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would stay away from anything she (Ursula K. LeGuin)'s written.
I would suggest researching an author and making an informed decision.

The Earthsea trilogy is an interesting story, which came out at a time when there was a lot of EFP (extruded fantasy product) and proved that there was a market for things other than LOTR-clones.

It has an interesting protagonist who goes from prodigy to cautious student, a unique magic system, unique geography and a compelling story.

Awards:

1969 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award for Fiction
1979 Lewis Carroll Shelf Award for A Wizard of Earthsea
1972 Newbery Honor for The Tombs of Atuan
1973 National Book Award for Children's Books for The Farthest Shore
1990 Nebula Award for Best Novel for Tehanu
2002 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel for The Other Wind

Please suggest a series which has more awards rather than running down other suggestions, or at least explain what it is about the book which you mislike.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #24
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've read the second and third Earthsea books this year, and they've been two of my favourite books. I think the quality of the prose would just have been wasted on me as a child. I actually thought they were both better than the first one, which to my taste was a bit fractured and picaresque. The Tombs of Atuan and The Farthest Shore both seemed to tell a more complete and rounded story.

I've found her adult SF more of a mixed bag. Sometimes it's a bit more admirable than actually enjoyable, if you see what I mean.

Luckily, unlike JSWolf, I didn't make up my mind forever based on the first book I read, and then continually jump in with a dig any time Le Guin's name is mentioned. Although that is mainly because I had to read a second book to complete the Hugo winners.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #25
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought Daniel Abraham's Long Price series was good. Clear writing, not too complicated, but some interesting ideas and a nice setting.

The first book, A Shadow in Summer, could be read on its own without being comitted to read the whole series.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
I would suggest researching an author and making an informed decision.

The Earthsea trilogy is an interesting story, which came out at a time when there was a lot of EFP (extruded fantasy product) and proved that there was a market for things other than LOTR-clones.

It has an interesting protagonist who goes from prodigy to cautious student, a unique magic system, unique geography and a compelling story.

Awards:

1969 Boston Globe-Horn Book Award for Fiction
1979 Lewis Carroll Shelf Award for A Wizard of Earthsea
1972 Newbery Honor for The Tombs of Atuan
1973 National Book Award for Children's Books for The Farthest Shore
1990 Nebula Award for Best Novel for Tehanu
2002 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel for The Other Wind

Please suggest a series which has more awards rather than running down other suggestions, or at least explain what it is about the book which you mislike.
I've read books that have won awards and had heaps of praise to find they were rubbish. Last book I read like that was Cloud Atlas. Won some awards and had some praise heaped on it. Awful book though. So do not read a book just because it's won some award. A lot of award winning books aren't worthy of the awards.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #27
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
No counter-suggestion, no explanation of what you mislike about the book so that people could evaluate whether or no their opinion would align w/ yours.

Was there supposed to be a point to your post?
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #28
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I would suggest Michael J Sullivan and his The Riyria Revelations series and The Riyria Chronicles series.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/964...ia-revelations
https://www.goodreads.com/series/878...ria-chronicles
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #29
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
A couple off the top of my head that I haven't seen on here:

Michael Scott Rohan - Winter of the World series (good, classic fantasy). a

Tad Williams - anything really (IMO) but Otherland is his best series (again IMO) that combines fantasy with a bit of retro-futurism cyberpunk. Memory, Thorn, and Sorrow is his most famous series and much more traditional.

Chris Wooding- Tales of the Ketty Jay. More steampunk than fantasy, but it's awesome so I'm recommending it anyway. Think Firefly with airships, golems, and magic.

Greg Keys- Kingdom of Thorn and Bone. Kind of like Paul Kearney's stuff, but with more magic. Just a warning, the final book is kind of a letdown, but the rest of the series is great.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #30
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Based on some of your likes I would recommend (short list)
Richard Kadrey- Sandman Slim
Rob Thurman - Cal and Niko Leandros
Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris - Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences
Eddie Lacrosse - Alex Bledsoe
Simon R. Green - various series

I also second apache in the Garrett PI series.
Not like his other books. Funny and light.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote