Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #256
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Yeah I think some people can be hard to please. All I ask is that the ebooks display. I've never thought "I wish I could change the line-spacing" or anything like that. And I've never needed folders. As long as I can change the size of occasionally too small text font then I'm happy.
I agree..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #257
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Well I never needed to connect my Glo to a PC to set it up, so the Aura should be similar
Hallelujah. Thanks for the info, have some karma.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #258
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think the file you want (in Windows speak) is .kobo\Kobo\Kobo Reader.conf in internal memory of the Kobo.

Edit with a simple text editor. Find the [Reading] section. The first item is something like:
Code:
numPartialUpdatePageTurns=6
Just change the 6 to be what you prefer, in the range 1-99 according to Geoff. Just be aware that ghosting will get worse the higher you set it.
I was responding to the statement in post #247 that was referring to the Paperwhite and its config file, not the Kobo.

Last edited by Skydog; 04-19-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #259
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Hallelujah. Thanks for the info, have some karma.
Thanks, I just hope the Aura doesn't have multiple updates as soon as it arrives unlike the Glo
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #260
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The only way to know whether a device's unaltered OS is agreeable is to actually use it -- something which is not terribly easy for North Americans in the case of Kobos Glo and Aura HD.

The ability to choose one's own screensaver is not a rarefied or "picky" request. It gives me childish pleasure to see intricate Ernst Haeckel illustrations bedizening my Kindle Keyboard, for example, or jarred skeletal remains on my PRS-350.

I often read as an aid to writing and I'm not alone in that -- I know a lot of writers who start their day by reading.

Seeing a banal image just before I read is profoundly uninspiring. Using an e-reader that restricts the screensaver to cliche or proprietary images, or features a home screen filled with intrusive advertising, is like being stalked by a door-to-door salesperson when you're trying to compose a sarabande.

I found the unrooted Nook ST incredibly disappointing in that regard.

I'm hoping that Kobo doesn't treat its devices as advertising real estate. I've never owned a Kobo, so feel free to beat me to death with good news on that score.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-19-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #261
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No need to jailbreak the Kobo to do some of this stuff. Fonts can be added; the refresh rate edited; even some of the linkages to tracking removed.

But also, it is easy to do items like enable telnet access, and also people have done a lot of adding tweaks into the device through plugins that have been developed.
There is no need to jailbreak the PW to add custom fonts or, apparently, customize preferred page change options.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #262
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
There is no need to jailbreak the PW to add custom fonts or, apparently, customize preferred page change options.
According to your profile, you seem not to own a pre-Android Sony Reader, Skydog. Have you ever owned one in the past? If not, then I don't think you're familiar with the options I'm referencing. Note that the two people who have agreed with me on custom firmware are both Sony owners. The detailed options I'm talking about have to be experienced to be understood. I myself didn't know they'd be important to me until I was presented with them, and with the chance to use them daily.

A lot of new e-readers can be tremendously fun to use at first. The question is whether their limitations will become irksome over time -- particularly if you've grown accustomed to not being manipulated by an OS en route to reading your books.

If the price of admission is $160-190, I think it's fair to raise the question before people order.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-19-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #263
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I'm hoping that Kobo doesn't treat its devices as advertising real estate. I've never owned a Kobo, so feel free to beat me to death with good news on that score.
We, the users, had to beat on them (in Kobo forum), and hard, to ease on the advertising. And it is still bad, IMHO. On the other hand, they at least listen.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #264
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I disagree that Kobo is bad for advertising. On the home page for the Touch, Mini & Glo there is a prominent link for the Bookstore. That's it. Ignore the link and you will never see advertising on your Kobo.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #265
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I disagree that Kobo is bad for advertising. On the home page for the Touch, Mini & Glo there is a prominent link for the Bookstore. That's it. Ignore the link and you will never see advertising on your Kobo.
Absolutely agree. I've never accessed the Bookstore link on my reader and have never seen a single advert.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #266
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
That's right. I have never been bothered by advertisements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I hope that imbecile requirement to activate a new reader (or the one reset to factory settings) by connecting it to a machine running Kobo Desktop is gone.
Someone has already answered that, so I'm just weighing in. I was never able to use Kobo Desktop and my Mini works just fine
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #267
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

Care to display a custom text message with your name and phone number on the standby screen along with a custom image? Feel inclined to use a different kind of font than the included ones? Lamenting the absence of a font size between two of the gradations you're given stock? Fancy a home screen that can display only the books you've read or uploaded last? Hunger to rearrange books on your shelf according to twenty different criteria? Crave using your own dictionaries and disincluded languages? Motivated to change the way your reader shows read and unread books or the order in which it lists them? Do you daydream listlessly about disabling ads on a reader that wasn't marketed as including them? Do you grin lasciviously at the idea of changing text from ragged to justified and back? Will you bang your forehead against the nearest wall rhythmically to light meringue until your e-reader offers you more precise margin options?
BRAVO! I use my 2 kindles and my sony ONLY to read fiction novels, and if I could not root them in order to tweak the look of my documents, I would be disgruntled! And I hope that any future kindles can also be jailbroken and tweaked. If they can't, I don't know if I will buy one. (And signs point to this being the case with future Sonys.....time will tell)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #268
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
so I don't need a new reader. But I want one!
that makes it two of us
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #269
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Seeing a banal image just before I read is profoundly uninspiring.
Then get only books with nice cover

I say this because what you see when the book goes to sleep is the coverpage of the book you are reading. Seriously, I think I know where you are coming from - as a Pocketbook user, there is virtually nothing you cannot customise on a Pocketbook. Changing to Kobo was a shock to the system, but there are various tweaks you can use, including getting rid of wishlists and the like. There are some lovely developers over there, and there is one (still somewhat imperfect) kindle viewer port that allows you to navigate your reader, through folders which you could then access even if the kobo reader does not support this feature. on the other hand, i find the Kepub format that Kobo uses quite good, especially with footnotes (that you can preview in pop-ups) in non fiction books.

Having said that, I totally understand your point, it is a pity we have to compromise, we can only conclude that we on mobileread are not that representative of the market at large!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #270
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I don't need this but it looks so nice I have to admit that I want it. I will resist temptation.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote