Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Tuff-Luv Embrace Leather Case for Kobo Glo

I received my Tuff-Luv "Embrace" Leather case for my Kobo Glo yesterday, and thought I could share a few pics and impressions.

The Pros

First thing to mention is that Tuff-Luv does not sell a Kobo Glo-specific case. They sell you a "Kobo Touch/Kindle 4" case. It shows a bit (see pics below) as there is space left at bottom and top of the Glo when in the case. Nothing major really, and frankly it does not really matter as the straps maintain a very tight grip on the Glo. It is not loose at all and there is no danger of the Glo slipping out of the case (although I don't know yet if straps will become loose over time - will see how it ages).

Overall, it is a very well-done case. Well stitched, with quality materials, professional look and feel. Leather is soft but thick. Suede used inside case is nice to the touch, and help maintain a secure grip. The strap to slip your hand and hold it easily and securely while having a cup of coffee in your other hand is a great idea.

The case adds of course some weight to the Glo, but it's not bothersome at all.

The Cons

There is only one drawback of this case and although it isn't a deal breaker for me, some people might be less tolerant about this. Look carefully at the picture where you see the case and the Glo by the edge, and you will instantly see the issue...Yes, you're right: the top right corner strap sits squarely over the sleep/power button of the Glo. Not good.

Now, it doesn't prevent you from using the button, as you can push away the strap and access it. But as mentioned, the straps are tight and stiff to hold the Glo securely in place, so you do have to finagle your finger a bit to switch the button.

So I tried a couple of options: first obvious one is to remove the top right strap and let it sit under the Glo, out of the way. It works without being too detrimental to holding the Glo in place but it looks weird.

Another option is actually to flick the button by going on the left side of the strap, rather than naturally trying to grab the button on the right side of the strap (fropm the corner of the Glo). This is my preferred option since the Glo button actually slides from left to right so pushing your finger just underneath the strap from the left to right works reasonably well all the time.

Finally, a third option I have imagined but not tried is to stick small pieces of velcro on the back of the Glo and in the case so that the Glo would hold without any of the 4 straps. Could work I guess, but the big drawback is that the Glo will not sit flat against the case.

Conclusion

I would have given 5 stars, but this strap issue downgrades it to 4 stars. Tuff-Luv will need to address this issue otherwise I think they may get complaints and returns from some people.

Last edited by Tzar; 11-09-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Put smaller images
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I had a similar problem with a Belkin case designed for a Kindle 4 that I picked up for $5 in a Target store until my perfectly fitted Speck case arrived for my Kobo Touch. (Those speck cases are nice. They're molded to fit -no straps. The reader is protected all the way around except for small cutouts for the switch and USB) I found another solution.

I attacked the stitches for the top part of the offending strap with an exacto knife, moved it to the right, and restitched it with black quilting thread. Not for the weak of heart, but doable with a hemostat(forceps) or needlenose pliers.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
[...] until my perfectly fitted Speck case arrived for my Kobo Touch. (Those speck cases are nice. They're molded to fit -no straps. The reader is protected all the way around except for small cutouts for the switch and USB)
Where did you get one for Kobo Touch? I can only see ones made for Kindle and Nook http://www.speckproducts.com/ereader-cases.html...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Where did you get one for Kobo Touch? I can only see ones made for Kindle and Nook http://www.speckproducts.com/ereader-cases.html...
I found a few references to Kobo products, but they all go to a 404 page. One is at the bottom of http://www.speckproducts.com/collections/folio. Some very nice looking cases, hopefully they the Kobo versions are coming back.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I found a few references to Kobo products, but they all go to a 404 page. One is at the bottom of http://www.speckproducts.com/collections/folio. Some very nice looking cases, hopefully they the Kobo versions are coming back.
Yep I encountered the same 404 sadness. I did find an amazon seller selling a Speck for Kobo Touch though! http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products.../dp/B0065GAU5S

Edit: oh, sorry, I didn't see they were out of stock
Edit2: oh, look, there's 3 new and 3 used ones available from that page from third parties
Old 11-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:

I attacked the stitches for the top part of the offending strap with an exacto knife, moved it to the right, and restitched it with black quilting thread. Not for the weak of heart, but doable with a hemostat(forceps) or needlenose pliers.
My sewing/stitching skills are so non-existent that I would have never thought of doing this

But that is probably the best, long-term solution.

I got used with my technique of just flicking the switch from the left side of the strap and it works very well. Doesn't bother me anymore.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mrs_Often,

I found mine while looking for cases for my Kobo Touch on Amazon. Several sellers had them for $25-35, but I lucked out and got mine for $10 or 11, including shipping! Best deal I've gotten in ages, unless you count buying my very lightly used (looks like brand New) Kobo Touch for $43, on eBay, including shipping! (Okay, it was really more like I sniped it in an eBay auction.) I have a couple Nook STRs, one bought, one assembled from broken units I bought cheaply on eBay, liked the Kobo Touch design and ability to do Mobi format as well and kept looking until I found an auction going for a really good price.

Now I just need to find a way to wait until I can find a Kobo Glo in that price range... or at least see what I can do with the surface mount white LEDs I imported from China. I'm kind of wondering how placing them behind the bezel with the IR LEDs would work without the diffuser light guide??? I need more time and ambition to tinker.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the pictures
But should I be given the choice I still would go with my current leather case because it is Glo specific and not general for several readers.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
TechniSol

Tzar,

I had to move it, it was directly over the switch, no flicking possible. Even moving it just barely allows me to flick it. Reminds me of a young lady I knew... The Speck case is a major improvement -well for the Kobo, the young lady not so much...
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Thanks for the info TechniSol! Once again, ebay seems to be the answer! It's a shame most good deals only ship to abroad for LOADS of money. Oh well. Congrats on the super fantastic deals you got!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
TechniSol

Mrs_Often,

Don't you have your own version of eBay for the Netherlands or Europe at least that would yield lower shipping costs? Or are the best secondhand deals just coming from the US?

Honestly, when buying secondhand electronics I tend to be down right cheap, more items will be listed -but I'm usually buying with the intention of modifying them or eventually reselling and I think part of the fun is in finding a good deal and spending those final seconds bidding. So often wanting is better than having, so I think enjoying the chase is worthwhile.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Mrs_Often,

Don't you have your own version of eBay for the Netherlands or Europe at least that would yield lower shipping costs? Or are the best secondhand deals just coming from the US?

Honestly, when buying secondhand electronics I tend to be down right cheap, more items will be listed -but I'm usually buying with the intention of modifying them or eventually reselling and I think part of the fun is in finding a good deal and spending those final seconds bidding. So often wanting is better than having, so I think enjoying the chase is worthwhile.
Yes, correct. We have ebay.nl, but they list the same stuff as long as it ships to the Netherlands. Ebay.com works here as well. And yes, the best deals come from the US usually, sometimes from elsewhere, but almost always with high shipping costs. Germany is good at ebay as well with lower shipping, but usually with other kinds of products. We also have a more local ebay-type website for buying and selling within the Netherlands where good deals are always to be gotten... but then it's really only local products, nothing like Kobo accessories.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Tzar.

That's a shame about the straps. I have a Tuff Luv case for my KT and it's great. It doesn't have straps but a full cover with a screen sized square cut out. Plus a couple of sections removed for the Home and On/Off buttons, plus the USB port.
The left half folds over the right and the flap has a magnetic press stud.

All in all it looks and works well.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
tm44
tm44 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
I've just bought a cover for my glo from geckocovers.com, they have covers specially made for the glo and not universal for touch/glo, they say they are getting the slimfit cases for the glo after christmas and looking at the slimfit case for the kobo touch on their site it looks great, i'll definitely be buying one.
So worth a look if anyone is wanting a proper case for their Glo
tm44 is offline   Reply With Quote