Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Free Offline GPS app

Alk Technologies has produced a free version of its offline navagation app Copilot Live, called CoPilot GPS.

2D display only and no voice prompts, but would be good for the casual user for those times when there's no WiFi for Google maps or for those who just want to try it out. Maps are downloaded from within the app and stored on your device, so you do need to plan ahead and download the proper regions before you get lost . These are street maps only, so no help if you get lost in the woods, but may help if you get lost in an unfamilar city and pigeons keep eating your trail of breadcrumbs...
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I have tried Navfree: Free GPS Navigation.

it works offline

Available in the Google Play store.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Second on Navfree. I loaded the USA version on my tablet and ran it through a few tests while out driving. It seems to be a good offline GPS package.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Haven't tried Navfree yet. When it first came out there was no map of Canada listed as available, so I didn't dig any further and forgot about it. How's the routing and route recalculation? Copilot will give two alternative routes (total 3 routes) and the routes editable by dragging. Route recalc is pretty snappy and logical ( for me anyway). I tried the Sygic GPS trial from Google Play and while I prefered it over Copilot for it's interface, routing was pretty bad, and re-routing absolutely sucked. It kept trying to have me make a u-turn on a four lane divided highway (not exit and re-enter at the ramps, but an actual u-turn ).

ETA: Reviews of Navfree seem to indicate you need to be online to search maps for address unless you have the USA version.

Quote:
love the app in principle. anyway, if you are truely offline (like i am with my tablet without 3g data plan) on the road, you wont be able to search addresses, cities, streets, pois or anything. i know that this limitation does not exist on the us version of the app though... anyway, it's not an offline navigator, as long as i cannot search my destination while i'm offline. the only offline 'emergency workaroud' so far is to find and set your approx destination on the actual offline map. as long as you roughly know where you want to go and can find it on the map, you are fine. the maps show city names and street names, but no house numbers.
So useless for me.

Last edited by 5thWiggle; 05-16-2012 at 09:30 AM.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I have Navigon USA and Canada, paid version (Navigon is owned by Garmin) on my tablet which is wifi, no 3G and it works offline once the app and maps have been downloaded. Well worth the $40 I paid for it and cheaper (more convenient) than getting another device (some would say I have too many already) GPS on my Galaxy Tab works extremely well. My daughter took the TomTom I had to use in her car but I prefer using the Tab anyways because of the bigger screen...
I can't image going back to Google maps or any other static map to find my way around!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert