Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
vanpelten
vanpelten began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre upload to Kindle doesn't transfer APNX anymore

This is odd! I never had any problems of this sort before, but I removed a mobi file from my Kindle (via Calibre) in order to tweak the original epub. When I converted it back to mobi and transferred it to my Kindle, no more page numbers! I looked at the doc files, and sure enough, there was no APNX.

I tried this with a second book...just removing it w/Calibre and re-transferring it back to my Kindle. Again, no more APNX with the page info.

This has been an invaluable tool, with the means to add a page-numbering system when I read. It's gone now.

Using version 0.8.53. Any clues? Something in the output that I'm missing?

Help!!!
vanpelten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpelten View Post
This is odd! I never had any problems of this sort before, but I removed a mobi file from my Kindle (via Calibre) in order to tweak the original epub. When I converted it back to mobi and transferred it to my Kindle, no more page numbers! I looked at the doc files, and sure enough, there was no APNX.

I tried this with a second book...just removing it w/Calibre and re-transferring it back to my Kindle. Again, no more APNX with the page info.

This has been an invaluable tool, with the means to add a page-numbering system when I read. It's gone now.

Using version 0.8.53. Any clues? Something in the output that I'm missing?

Help!!!
Have you checked the tick mark status in Preferences: Plugins: Device interface: <your model> , click the customize button
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works for me. Run calibre in debug mode (right click the preferences button) and post the debug output when sending a file to your Kindle. What OS are you on? Which Kindle are you using?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
vanpelten

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Have you checked the tick mark status in Preferences: Plugins: Device interface: <your model> , click the customize button
Yes, and there's no mention in the preferences for my Kindle regarding APNX functions. The only items checked are the usual; azw, mobi, prc, etc. Also, "read metadata from files on device" and "use sub directories" are also checked...that's been the default because I haven't changed any of them.

This is very strange...and discouraging ?( I even tried the old standby of rebooting my pc...but only the bare mobi files are transferred to the device. There must be some simple solution...perhaps a corruption occurred within Calibre?
Old 05-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
vanpelten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Works for me. Run calibre in debug mode (right click the preferences button) and post the debug output when sending a file to your Kindle. What OS are you on? Which Kindle are you using?
Using the same Kindle I've always used...Kindle Keyboard. Using Windows XP-SP3. With hundreds of books, this has never happened until now. Will run calibre in the debug and report back.
Advert
Old 05-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
vanpelten

Quote:
Ok, here's the log:

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.53
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
Windows
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.1
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
DEBUG: 0.0 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= None
DEBUG: 0.0 USBMS: dirs are: H:\ documents
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 0.6 USBMS: scan from root False H:\documents
DEBUG: 3.1 USBMS: count found in cache: 500, count of files in metadata: 500, need_sync: False
DEBUG: 3.1 USBMS: Finished fetching list of books from device. oncard= None
DEBUG: 3.1 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= carda
DEBUG: 3.1 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= cardb
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
Started up in 24.41 seconds with 461 books
Job: 3 Upload 1 books to device:One Man's Initiation: 1917 started
Device using plugboard mobi KINDLE2 None
Setting metadata in: One Man's Initiation: 1917 at: C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\calibre_0.8.53_tmp_ xdorzm\h65it5caltmpfmt.mobi
DEBUG: 47.7 USBMS: uploading 1 books
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 272, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\driver.py", line 389, in upload_cover
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\driver.py", line 434, in upload_apnx
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'path' referenced before assignment
DEBUG: 48.6 USBMS: finished uploading 1 books
DeviceJob: 3 Upload 1 books to device:One Man's Initiation: 1917 done, calling callback
DEBUG: 48.6 USBMS: adding metadata for 1 books
DEBUG: 48.6 USBMS: finished adding metadata
DeviceJob: 3 Upload 1 books to device:One Man's Initiation: 1917 callback returned
Job: 4 Send metadata to device started
DEBUG: 48.8 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
Job: 3 Upload 1 books to device:One Man's Initiation: 1917 finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 50.5 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 4 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 4 Send metadata to device callback returned
Job: 4 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.
Job: 5 Delete books from device started
DEBUG: 220.5 USBMS: deleting 1 books
DEBUG: 220.6 USBMS: finished deleting 1 books
DeviceJob: 5 Delete books from device done, calling callback
DEBUG: 220.6 USBMS: removing metadata for 1 books
DEBUG: 220.6 USBMS: finished removing metadata for 1 books
DeviceJob: 5 Delete books from device callback returned
Job: 6 Send metadata to device started
DEBUG: 220.9 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
Job: 5 Delete books from device finished
No details available.
DEBUG: 222.3 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 6 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 6 Send metadata to device callback returned
Job: 6 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.

PS: I hope this is the correct log -- it popped up when I closed Calibre in debug mode.

Last edited by vanpelten; 05-26-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, that helps. It's a bug affecting only older kindles, will be fixed in next release.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
vanpelten

Quote:
Ah, that helps. It's a bug affecting only older kindles, will be fixed in next release.
Many, many thanks Kovid!! I downloaded and installed the previous version, 0.8.52, and all is back to "normal"...the APNX & MBP are transferred to my Kindle along with the books -- page numbers are there again.

What a relief!!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
krbo
Enthusiast
krbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Quote:
Hi Kovid,

Not only older one but Kindle 4 also (non-touch).

I am confirming bug with my both Kindles (3 (keyboard) and 4) .

log from Kindle 4:

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.53
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.1
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Started up in 4.17 seconds with 83 books
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
DEBUG: 0.0 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= None
DEBUG: 0.0 USBMS: dirs are: H:\ documents
DEBUG: 0.1 USBMS: scan from root False H:\documents
DEBUG: 0.2 USBMS: count found in cache: 16, count of files in metadata: 16, need_sync: False
DEBUG: 0.2 USBMS: Finished fetching list of books from device. oncard= None
DEBUG: 0.2 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= carda
DEBUG: 0.2 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= cardb
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
Job: 3 Upload 1 books to device:Plamen started
Device using plugboard mobi KINDLE2 None
Setting metadata in: Plamen at: C:\Users\Bond\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_0.8.53_tm p__u7lhx\pbib_wcaltmpfmt.mobi
DEBUG: 10.7 USBMS: uploading 1 books
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 272, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\driver.py", line 389, in upload_cover
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\driver.py", line 434, in upload_apnx
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'path' referenced before assignment
DEBUG: 11.4 USBMS: finished uploading 1 books
DeviceJob: 3 Upload 1 books to device:Plamen done, calling callback
DEBUG: 11.4 USBMS: adding metadata for 1 books
DEBUG: 11.4 USBMS: finished adding metadata
DeviceJob: 3 Upload 1 books to device:Plamen callback returned
Job: 4 Send metadata to device started
DEBUG: 11.4 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 11.5 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 4 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 4 Send metadata to device callback returned
Job: 3 Upload 1 books to device:Plamen finished
No details available.
Job: 4 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.
krbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
krbo
Enthusiast
krbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of light

For such cases I would like to suggest easier calibre downgrade then the uninstall/install routine.

Just a simple question "Are you really sure to install older version?"

Of course if that is easily achievable to code for you.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

By older kindles, I mean kindles that have non KF8 enabled firmware. So I guess the correct term is "older kindle firmware".
Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
krbo
Enthusiast

Oh, it's clear now.

I really thought in light of series "4" and "Fire" that "3 keyboard" is an older system.

Will wait for next Calibre update rather then downgrade, I will not even manage to read latest book before you publish update.

thanks a lot!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
vanpelten

Typical Calibre & Co. the fixed version came out within a few days -- what took you so long?

Old 06-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
krbo
Enthusiast

Kovid is a great men, I didn' manage to read 30 pages and fix is here.

Big thanks!