Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I rate it a 10. I have an ipad2 as well, and I still think the Fire is an amazing device. Granted, it doesn't do everything an iPad does, but I don't think it was intended to compete with the iPad. Well, not completely anyway. I think for those who can't afford an iPad or want a supplement, this will be just the thing.

I read on it, watched a tv show, played some Plants vs Zombies, checked my email, listened to Pandora and did some web browsing. Works very well and the price is very good.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
I'm at a 9 or 10. This is my first tablet (couldn't fathom--or afford--to pay any more than $199), and I've been extremely pleased with pretty much all aspects of it.

Plus, I love the security of it being backed by Amazon's Customer Service and knowing that they create software updates on a regular basis to deal with things that come up.

I'm a very happy camper!
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I give it an 8 out of 10.

I bought this for reading in bed but the default reading app is too bright for night time reading. No collection features or Personal Doc cloud. So that takes a point off.

Mantano which is my epub Reader works on the Fire. So I am a happy camper! add ColorDict with my dictionaries and it's pure bliss!

Battery life is Excellent! Amazon has remove some of the major bugs that Android 2.3+ has. Like WiFi sleep freeze issue and the Battery Yo-Yo issue. It seems to be very stable! Not one Force Close issue yet. This alone makes it worth it. I found a toggle on/off WiFi program so with touch of the icon I can turn WiFi on or off or I can do it from the Notification bar. This will save me battery life. It reconnects in seconds and + for the Fire!

I can sideload apps that are non Amazon content. So far all apps I have added work just fine. The Dropbox app works so this makes me happy. I do miss my Widgets So a half point off for that.

The interface is nice but Carousel is horrible! Another half a point off If it only showed the last few items used or you could pick and choose what's on it then it would not be so bad. For me it's never ending because I have 1000+ books in my archive. A useless features but I do like the favorite shelves feature.

Video playback is amazing! I watch part of a movie with my free Prime and it was an incredible experience! Music sounds really good and the sound is way better then I was expecting!
I wish it had subtitles though but I don't plan to use this feature much.

Screen is very responsive! I told hubby to stop poking the screen unlike our phones it just needs a gentle touch when playing games.

I really love this device! It does everything I need it to do.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-17-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would say an 8 its a real nice tablet but needs better interaction with the cloud, it was inferred the fire could pull stuff you put up there but it cannot.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I would say an 8 its a real nice tablet but needs better interaction with the cloud, it was inferred the fire could pull stuff you put up there but it cannot.
I'm trying to understand this, so please don't think I'm being confrontational. Where was this inferred? I've looked at the product page and don't see any reference to being able to do so. Was this mentioned at the press event or somewhere else?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
...tightly knit access to the entire Amazon ecosytem...
I'm still using the NOOK app for some of my magazines (The Economist, The Atlantic, Bloomberg Markets, and the Nation). There are no specific Kindle Fire editions for these. What you get is basically an RSS feed. Which is fine for the eInk Kindles. I found a few magazines that are Kindle Fire specific, but the selection is paltry. I hope this improves very soon. I'd like to give up the NOOK app if I can.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm still using the NOOK app for some of my magazines (The Economist, The Atlantic, Bloomberg Markets, and the Nation). There are no specific Kindle Fire editions for these. What you get is basically an RSS feed. Which is fine for the eInk Kindles. I found a few magazines that are Kindle Fire specific, but the selection is paltry. I hope this improves very soon. I'd like to give up the NOOK app if I can.
I'm trying to find a RSS Reader for the Fire. Right now I'm using the Pulse app that comes on the fire which isn't the best.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #23
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'm trying to find a RSS Reader for the Fire. Right now I'm using the Pulse app that comes on the fire which isn't the best.
Can you grab something from the Android Market and use that? I use BeyondPod on my Sony Tablet, but didn't pull it off because it's the Honeycomb version. I'll have to download the standard one and use that. I use it for podcasts and other feeds.

Last edited by SCION; 11-17-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Can you grab something from the Android Market and use that? I use BeyondPod on my Sony Tablet, but didn't pull it off because it's the Honeycomb version. I'll have to download the standard one and use that. I use it for podcasts and other feeds.
The problem is I need a RSS Reader that doesn't use Google's synch feature that is taken out of the Fire. I tried one from the app store but it wouldn't synch even though it says it's Fire compatible.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #25
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The problem is I need a RSS Reader that doesn't use Google's synch feature that is taken out of the Fire. I tried one from the app store but it wouldn't synch even though it says it's Fire compatible.
BeyondPod doesn't. You can enter in the URLs manually or if you want to sync with GoogleReader you have to enter your Gmail info (username/password). It doesn't look for this info on the device.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
BeyondPod doesn't. You can enter in the URLs manually or if you want to sync with GoogleReader you have to enter your Gmail info (username/password). It doesn't look for this info on the device.
Okay will give it a shot! Ah that's the app hubby uses for school podcasts.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #27
BethQB
BethQB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
As an ipad owner who is switching to the Fire happily this is my take:

Out of the box: 7
-Carousel needs options or to go completely
-What is the point of the amazon cloud drive other than music, I hope this is coming in an update
-Appstore is limited

With fixes that require only base techie know how: 9.5
-Go Launcher EX takes care of the carousel but can't get the bookshelf without a workaround
-Sideloaded dolphin browser, DoggCatcher (podcasts) and Dropbox so far
BethQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #28
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I got DOSBox and Windows 3.1 to run on the Fire this morning. 10/10 for me. .
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I got DOSBox and Windows 3.1 to run on the Fire this morning. 10/10 for me. .
Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #30
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
Not love at first sight for me. Last night I cancelled my cover order thinking today I'd return it, but then I changed my mind - reordered the cover. I'm right on this side of the fence. Maybe as I learn more about it, it'll grow on me.

One of my main issues with it is web browsing and it being slow/unresponsive and stuttery - compared to my iPad. I love that is has flash so DD can play things like starfall.com - BUT then the screen is pretty small for that - can't figure out how to get a true full screen - and when she tries to touch things and move them, it's just not overly responsive, IMO. A lot of misses - and for a 3-year-old, the attention span doesn't make room for many of those before she gets frustrated.

We'll see, though.

Edited to add: I realize the iPad is $300 more - but the "Silk" browser was heavily pushed and I had faith that it was going to be "Smooth" (like Silk) ... I don't see it.

Last edited by Jowi; 11-18-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote