Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Andyp133
Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS 350, Kobo Aura HD
PRS350 or PRS650 ?

I have a PRS 505 which I love and it's still working fine and looks like new after nearly 2 years but I'm thinking of getting a new 350 or 650. My only problem is wondering if the 350 with the smaller screen will give me any problems reading a suitable size font. Does anybody with the 350 find the screen too small when you use a size comfortable to read so that you have to turn the page every few sentences ? Is the smallest text too small to read ? Has anyone found changing from bigger screen to smaller screen a problem ?
Andyp133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
This is a very personal decision, and really does spark different emotions for different people. Her is my experience. I owned both the 505 and the 600, and was used to the 6" screen size. When the 300 was released, I took one look at it, and knew it was not for me. however the was not just because of the smaller screen, but also the reduced feature set, and poorer build quality. When the 350/650 were announced, I planned to get a 650, in line with my previous purchases. However, I surprised myself, and ended up with a 350. This was partly because the 650 did not show up in US stores as early as the 350. Additionally, the 350 has almost the exact same feature set as the 650, other than the size of the screen. Anyway, I bought the 350 with the plan of trying it out, and then exchanging it for the 650 when it finally showed up in stores. To my great surprised, I loved the 350. The size of the screen does not bother me at all. The smallest font size is usually too small to be useful, but this really depends on the publisher. Most of the time I use the small and medium fonts. The 350 is incredibly light weight, and the external shell has much smaller dimensions than the 300 did. Thus, the portability improved a lot. Anyway, I really like the form factor, and am not bothered by the screen size at all. However, as I said, you may feel differently. My suggestion is that if you know that you want a Sony reader, then buy the 350, try it out for a few days, and then exchange it for the 650, if you feel you need to. Sony stores will wave the restocking fee if you are exchange for an item of greater value within 14 days.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I suggest you try the two in person in a store. It is really a matter of personal preference, and adequacy to your very personal way of reading, since both devices are pretty much very similar except the screen size. Portability, readability, features... i think you have to see by yourself to really weigh all those variable factors and decide which ones are more important to you.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Andyp133
Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Andyp133 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Yeah, thanks for your comments. I'm liking the portability of the 350. Will have a look in store to see what the readability is like for me. Either way i'm sure I will be pleased with one or the other.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Take a look yourself but i'm sure you'd go for the 650 if the additional cost isn't a matter.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
wlwbishop
wlwbishop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650, iPad
i bought 350 and then returned it and bought a 650 because waterstones doesn't have display models. yet i had to pay 10 pounds restocking fee. bad customer service in the UK typical!
btw, 650 is a very good option
wlwbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Andyp133

I went to Waterstones, after trying out the 350 I bought one. Special offer at £130 for a short time. I'm absolutely chuffed with it. After just one day with it I'm very pleased.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You bought an item, didn't like it and returned it... nothing wrong with it, you just decided you wanted the 650... OK, your decision but now Waterstones have to return your 350 to Sony for them to check and designate as a refurb because it can't be sold as a new item (that's the law as it's been used). So how much time did you get from the assistants in dealing with this? That's two visits (at least) plus the time involved in documenting the return, preparing it for return, returning it and then dealing with the credit from Sony etc. And they charged you £10!!!! Wow, really bad service

Personally, as a former retail shop owner and manager, I think that the average customer gets away with murder in shops today... I still fail to see why anyone expects to return something just because they don't like it, nobody twisted their arm to buy in the first place and a returned item means an item that can no longer be sold as new... profit margins are tight enough as it is (one reason I got out of retail, too much effort for too little return).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlwbishop View Post
i bought 350 and then returned it and bought a 650 because waterstones doesn't have display models. yet i had to pay 10 pounds restocking fee. bad customer service in the UK typical!
btw, 650 is a very good option
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I had the same dilemma, and I decided on a 350. The screen is of much better quality than the 505. I can easily read the 350 at a much smaller font than the 505, and the 350 is so much more portable that I carry it with me more often than I did the 505.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
wlwbishop
wlwbishop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650, iPad
well. my story is actually a lot longer than what i've described on here. but comparing to the northamerican standard, i consider the customer service poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
You bought an item, didn't like it and returned it... nothing wrong with it, you just decided you wanted the 650... OK, your decision but now Waterstones have to return your 350 to Sony for them to check and designate as a refurb because it can't be sold as a new item (that's the law as it's been used). So how much time did you get from the assistants in dealing with this? That's two visits (at least) plus the time involved in documenting the return, preparing it for return, returning it and then dealing with the credit from Sony etc. And they charged you £10!!!! Wow, really bad service

Personally, as a former retail shop owner and manager, I think that the average customer gets away with murder in shops today... I still fail to see why anyone expects to return something just because they don't like it, nobody twisted their arm to buy in the first place and a returned item means an item that can no longer be sold as new... profit margins are tight enough as it is (one reason I got out of retail, too much effort for too little return).
wlwbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Andyp133

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I had the same dilemma, and I decided on a 350. The screen is of much better quality than the 505. I can easily read the 350 at a much smaller font than the 505, and the 350 is so much more portable that I carry it with me more often than I did the 505.
That also is my view too. My only worry is that the more I carry it around the more chance of a mishap. Just have to be careful. I'm far more clingy to my ereaders than I am about other possesions that cost a lot more money.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
wild one
wild one began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I think, the 650 is the right decision for home readers, depending on its size.

Even for me with large hands it ain't easy to hold the 650 with one hand only. People who have small hands and want to take a Sony for outdoor reading, choose the 350.

Despite that, each of it is a good choice.
wild one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
They are both quite portable. 650 is smaller then 505 and even then 300 )))
Personally I've preffered 650 because the bigger screen means more comfortable reading experience for me...
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Both are portable, but if you mainly travel around the place then go the 350
I have the 650 and it's great, but i do find it a pain to chuck in a backpack or murse and haul around; it's just a bit big for it and if you have a fair bit in a bag you risk stuff bashing into it, even with a cover.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I don't find my 650 all that bulky, even with a somewhat heavy cover - fits in the outside compartment of my man-purse with room to spare, as well as in the pocket of my coats.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote