Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #12106
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Going to be a whole lot of scraping today...
Yep. I just hope my poor Purple Sandcherry survives.

Of course, the dog thinks I should be playing with him instead of taking pictures of ice covered objects in the backyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Purple Sandcherry Dec_2013.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	117050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picnic Table Dec_2013.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	117051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyland Dec_2013.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	117052  
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #12107
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Yikes! Your icy photos made me shiver!

Today we are having some really spooky unnatural weather. In the south we have 'hurricane weather' - days of warm, humid, gusty weather with ominous gray/black clouds and a sense of impending menace - very 'close' weather.
On Dec. 22 our high temps should shatter all records - it was 69 F when I got up, and going to hit 79 F this afternoon! I can't remember an Xmas season this strange ... meteorologically speaking ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #12108
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Oh, beautiful dog, Red! Hope your sand cherry survives. We haven't lost any trees (yet), but a lilac is in danger and some others have come down in our neighbourhood.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #12109
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Sitting here in a pair of shorts and about to go outside and read my Kindle on the deck. That should tell you everything you need to know about the weather in Tidewater.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #12110
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Sitting here in a pair of shorts and about to go outside and read my Kindle on the deck. That should tell you everything you need to know about the weather in Tidewater.
Same as weather in NC!

[can we send some warm breezes to the iced-in folk?]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #12111
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Reading my Kindle outside under the palm trees. I earned this having driven 1200 miles and over many snow-covered, icy mountain passes to get here (-9 the morning I left La Grande, Oregon). Worth it.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #12112
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Same as weather in NC!

[can we send some warm breezes to the iced-in folk?]
We certainly have some warmth to share. It's currently 84 "feels like" 86° F.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Three Days from Christmas 84 feels like 86.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	117078  
Old 12-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #12113
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'm not kidding about those temps!

29 actual degrees Celsius! Feels like 30° C!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013 12 22 Chesapeake temps..PNG
Views:	118
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	117079  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-22-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #12114
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
This blog post says it all: http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/12/3..._to_ice_storm/
Fortunately, I'm downtown, which was spared the worst of it - I had to scrape some ice off the sidewalks, but never lost power (so far). But there's no salt left in the stores, so that's the best I can do.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #12115
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
This blog post says it all: http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/12/3..._to_ice_storm/
Fortunately, I'm downtown, which was spared the worst of it - I had to scrape some ice off the sidewalks, but never lost power (so far). But there's no salt left in the stores, so that's the best I can do.
We lost power for 24 hours, but it's back now. I could not find salt but got some sand to at least provide some grip. I did however see my next-door neighbour return from grocery shopping (Food Basic's I think) and there were bags of salt in his trunk...

Of course, as I typed this the lights did flicker, but the UPS kept all going!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #12116
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Cold and pouring with rain. Windy too....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #12117
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm not kidding about those temps!

29 actual degrees Celsius! Feels like 30° C!
I am officially annoyed.

Temperature: -32.4C
Wind: SE 32km/h
Windchill: -49C

The temperature is up from the overnight low of -33.9C. Oh, and the sun will rise in about 15 minutes.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #12118
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
So you two cancel each other out
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #12119
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
We lost power for 24 hours, but it's back now. I could not find salt but got some sand to at least provide some grip. I did however see my next-door neighbour return from grocery shopping (Food Basic's I think) and there were bags of salt in his trunk...

Of course, as I typed this the lights did flicker, but the UPS kept all going!
I couldn't even get sand this morning. I'm thinking of untarping and emptying the Spawns sandbox...

I had two 20kg bags of salt before the storm, but I have elderly relatives who are none too steady on their feet in the best of weather so it's gone now.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #12120
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
We're having strong winds/gale. The peak is supposed to be tonight, but I'm a little worried since I have to bring my bike to the repair shop tomorrow morning and it's about 9 km from my place.
I guess I'll see tomorrow if it seems safe to ride there.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds and lightning and, hugo and lefty