Old 12-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
It would be a pain in the ass to get my books onto a Kindle. Of course, the purpose of this gadget is not to allow me to read my free text, but to force me to pay for whatever metered text Amazon thinks I should be reading.

Sure, it's not impossible for me to transfer some of my text files onto a Kindle, but it gets old after a while. I have hundreds of texts that I've downloaded in the form of PDFs, CHMs, DOCs, and just plain TXT.
Solution: Calibre
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #17
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
At this point of technological development, the Kindle is at the top of the game. It has a keyboard, it allows annotating, it has the web connection.

For the next step (doable right now), I would wish: (i) folder organization (I want to be able to organize my books the way I wish); (ii) fonts supporting full Unicode (or close to it) without hacking the Kindle; (iii) easier way to select links (right now I spend a lot of time fishing for the link with the joystick); (iv) better annotation capabilities.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
... For the next step (doable right now), I would wish: (i) folder organization (I want to be able to organize my books the way I wish) ...
Folders could be here soon. Check out this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=folders
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #19
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John T. View Post
I love my Kindle DX. However, I must say I hate the metallic sound of the text-to-speech voice. It's improved since the original version, but I still hate it.

Do you really hate it, or do you just not like it? Hate is a pretty strong term.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #20
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
biggest disadvantage is Jeff Bezos..he's trying to war with Wal Mart. Eventually this will cost Amazon big $$, ebook prices will go up. Kindle prices will go up
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert