Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #136
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
So you're saying that it's ok for Amazon to terminate someone's account and lock them out of all their legitimately-purchased digital content because they asked for their mail-order goods to be delivered in undamaged condition once too often?

well this guy Amazon told him in detail how much he was returning.. I forgot how much it was but it was over 5 returns I think in a month. And yes I think it's right to lock them out.. it's on Amazon's dime to return and it adds up..
Old 02-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #137
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
How can you talk about "these situations" when you don't know the situation?
Okay, it is down to: Amazon or the OP. Choosing between my past experience with Amazon as buyer and seller and an inconsistent story of an unknown person - you can guess where my sympathies are ...
Because I've heard stories like this from a variety of people in variety of circumstances, and while I'm perfectly willing to believe that Amazon is not prone to frequent errors in these things, I am also inclined to believe that in some of the case, at best, someone did something unbeknownst to the legitimate account holder, and Amazon has made it very difficult for them to figure out what happened and get things made right. Not everyone gets a gift certificate for the full value of their digital library with one simple phone call.

For example, while I might hypothetically suspect that fulltimer's shareware mogul Son-in-Law was actually pirating copyrighted software and may have done something to implicate fulltimer's account, I would also be willing to believe that fulltimer may have had no idea about it, and no reason to think that their account would have been involved.
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #138
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
well this guy Amazon told him in detail how much he was returning.. I forgot how much it was but it was over 5 returns I think in a month. And yes I think it's right to lock them out.. it's on Amazon's dime to return and it adds up..
That's ridiculous. Yes, returns add up. But that's the policy, and it's why people are willing to shop sight-unseen. I see nothing in the user agreement that says "...and if you get damaged stuff, just suck it up. We offer free returns, but don't take us up on the offer, or else!"

Maybe cut them off, and say "no more free returns for you...you eat too much for this all-you-can-eat-buffet!" But by what logic or rational can you justify locking them out of all their illegitimately purchased content?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #139
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm scared and frustrated too. Someone hold me.
Don't look at me.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #140
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That's ridiculous. Yes, returns add up. But that's the policy, and it's why people are willing to shop sight-unseen. I see nothing in the user agreement that says "...and if you get damaged stuff, just suck it up. We offer free returns, but don't take us up on the offer, or else!"

Maybe cut them off, and say "no more free returns for you...you eat too much for this all-you-can-eat-buffet!" But by what logic or rational can you justify locking them out of all their illegitimately purchased content?
Typically in cases like this, the answer isn't the "too much returns", but that Amazon caught Mr. Cracked Case returning his fifth set of movies in a month's time, and the system flagged him, and then they did a google search of his email address and found a user named with those exact movies/musics being torrented/sold on ebay/amazon marketplace. :P

It's not THAT they return things. It's that often times, they return things after ripping them, and then try to sell the rips on AMZN marketplace.

I'd also suspect that Fulltimer's S-I-L was selling pirated software as well as shareware, and they only got half the story.
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #141
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
So you're saying that it's ok for Amazon to terminate someone's account and lock them out of all their legitimately-purchased digital content because they asked for their mail-order goods to be delivered in undamaged condition once too often?
shouldn't damaged items be taken up with the postmaster? i simply don't see how everything that amazon was shipping this guy was broken or damaged. either hes the unluckiest guy on earth or his mailman was playing kickball. amazon shouldn't have to eat those costs.

there are also simply a lot of o.c.d. types out there. "oh, my book has a nick in the corner! return return return!"

abuse of policy ruins it for everyone.

and as for digital content, its very easy to buy a book/movie, strip the drm, then return for a refund. why should one have perpetual access to their ill-gotten goods?

Last edited by xg4bx; 02-21-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #142
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Then Amazon should stop sending out damaged goods.

I've pretty much abandoned ordering physical goods from Amazon over an incident I had with them. This thread has been an eye opener to say the least.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #143
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Then Amazon should stop sending out damaged goods.

I've pretty much abandoned ordering physical goods from Amazon over an incident I had with them. This thread has been an eye opener to say the least.
Seriously?

A guy comes in with a story that clearly is omitting things, if not completely lying on things (as detailed by his "I only closed one account" vs his earlier "I made sure all my past accounts were closed" and other such changes) .. and that opens your eyes?

If anything, for me, it leaves me more confused. What did he do? What else is he being dishonest about? The only people that HAVEN'T changed their story in this are Amazon. They don't want him as a customer. That much is clear.

Otherwise I'm really confused about how this opened up eyes?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #144
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
Seriously?
I never said whether I believed him or not. I said it's been an eye opener. There have been other stories in here and I've read a few things outside this board; not to mention my own experience.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #145
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
there are also simply a lot of o.c.d. types out there. "oh, my book has a nick in the corner! return return return!"

abuse of policy ruins it for everyone.

It's like that a lot on blu-ray.com little stuff like a dent in the slip cover or a little scratch on it they return the whole thing.. I've gotten a movie from Amazon with a little crack in the top spine part of the case but I'm not going to cry and return it.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #146
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
and in every case I've heard about.. people I know and trust.. have come back and said "Fraud."
I wonder whether they consider fraud situations where people buy books outside of their geographical region. A lot of people from mobilereads do that.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #147
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Wow, I cant believe some of you guys.

If I by a product and it is damaged, I will return it. Some people get unlucky on items that they get, be it a scratch on the cover, missing pixels, etc, return it.

A lot of the posters attacking the OP, have not read the whole thread, the OP has stated multiple times the story.

I have had dealings with different companies over the years that they sometimes do not tell the reason behind what they do, they never admit fault.

Sometimes people are unlucky with purchases like me. I bought a Qosmio laptop from Bestbuy, I took it home and discovered the speakers were buzzing, so I exchanged it. I took that one home and it had a lot of dead pixels in the middle that distracted me from matching movies and doing things, so I exchanged it. The Customer Service people were giving me dirty looks. So after a couple of years the Qosmio I have, the speakers are coming undone in the speaker housing, so its starting to buzz.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #148
ApK

Quote:
It's like that a lot on blu-ray.com little stuff like a dent in the slip cover
OH! I hear slip cover, I think of those things that go over sofas...makes a little more sense in context now.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #149
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacoob View Post
I wonder whether they consider fraud situations where people buy books outside of their geographical region. A lot of people from mobilereads do that.
Hmmm...
Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #150
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by yacoob View Post
I attempted this once (although with B&N rather than Amazon), and it did not end well (order cancelled, refund, and whatnot). So I don't do that anymore. Well, thankfully, Amazon and other stores are selling more books in Germany nowadays (even though its sometimes more expensive than the US store), so the need for it also vanished mostly.

I know others still do it though; I hope they never get banned like this. I'd hate to lose my Amazon account even if I did backup all of my books.
Closed Thread