Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Bookerblood
Bookerblood doesn't litterBookerblood doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Can some one help please?

Hi,

Whilst I am not very "techy" I have built up a library of over 10,000 ebooks and have accessed them via Calibre.

Yesterday thinking backup (I thought) I did two things:
1. Clicked on library metadata backup
2. Switched the database to an external hard drive - use existing database at new location.

Now the C Drive calibre folder just has metadata.opf files and no books or covers

As I say I just wanted to have a copy of the database in case on C Drive failure.

So can anyone help and say:

1. What is the best way to get the books back into the C Drive main library folder and
2. What is the best way to get a full backup od the C Drive master in future.

Many, many thanks in anticipation

(Bewildered) Booker
Bookerblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerblood View Post
Hi,

Whilst I am not very "techy" I have built up a library of over 10,000 ebooks and have accessed them via Calibre.

Yesterday thinking backup (I thought) I did two things:
1. Clicked on library metadata backup
2. Switched the database to an external hard drive - use existing database at new location.

Now the C Drive calibre folder just has metadata.opf files and no books or covers

As I say I just wanted to have a copy of the database in case on C Drive failure.

So can anyone help and say:

1. What is the best way to get the books back into the C Drive main library folder and
2. What is the best way to get a full backup od the C Drive master in future.

Many, many thanks in anticipation

(Bewildered) Booker
Backup Metadata only refreshes the file stored (metadata.opf) WITH (in the same folder as) the title. With 10K books, this is a long process (1 file per title) . You can check the (progress) status from the Library Maintenance menu

You just MOVED the Library to an external drive???

COPY it back. If you added books to the empty Library it gets trickier. Ask if needed, Before proceeding.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2015, 02:15 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Which option did you use to (try to) switch the library?

There are 3 options there:
  1. Open a library calibre doesn't know about yet, adding it to the quick-switch list.
  2. Create a brand-new, empty library.
  3. Move (not copy) the current library to somewhere else.

None of those options creates a backup. To create a backup you will need software that specializes in backups. MS Synctoy, command-line utilities like Rsync, or other file-syncing software (FreeFileSync if you are careful to avoid the malware it tries to install shame it went downhill) can do that for you.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:51 AM   #4
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
I have my full calibre library of books and Magazines on my C Drive and using Free File Sync I make a backup of this folder to an external Drive.

This is a complete copy of the library and can be accessed at any time. I run Free file sync any time I modify the library to keep it up to date. This I believe is the simplest way of backing up your library safely.
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:57 AM   #5
Bookerblood
Bookerblood doesn't litterBookerblood doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Thank you all.

Realise what I've done and have copied back. The suggestions for backup are valued and I'll investigate further.

Regards.
Bookerblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert