Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
cpl625
cpl625 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Archive.org book on Kobo question

I'd like to read this book http://www.archive.org/details/TheWorldOfYesterday on my Kobo but I'm not sure how to assemble an ebook from the files listed there. There's a large .djvu file and then tons of html, rtf, and txt files. How can I combine them all into either a .txt, an epub, or any good format for uploading to calibre and then reading on the kobo?

Thanks!
cpl625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
everklear
Enthusiast
everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.

I'm not too familiar with the archive.org books, but the list of download links is bewildering and unhelpful. They almost all appear to be fragments of the book. Right down at the bottom of the list of download links on the left-hand side of the page is one called "DjVu" with a size of (22.7 M).

DjVu files that contain embedded text can be converted to other formats with Calibre. Depending on the content of that DjVu file, trying that conversion might give you useful results.

Alternatively, you could read the DjVu file using a reader on another platform. Check the "External links" section of the DjVu page on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DjVu. This is not helpful in providing a method to read the book on your Kobo, but would allow you to read the book.
everklear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
novou
Pointed Pontification.
novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!novou rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch (Black)
That page looks funky, usually archive.org is much neater. everklear is right, the DjVu file looks to be the proper one, but you should also report the issue to the librarians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive.org FAQ
If you see an error with a book digitized by the Internet Archive, we'd appreciate knowing about it!
Please send an email with the URL (web address) of the book, and description of the problem, to info -at- archive.org
novou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
cpl625

I tried converting the DjVu with calibre but just got an epub with a title page. Are there any tricks to converting a DjVu with calibre's conversion?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
cpl625

By the way, DJView works great for reading on the computer, so thanks for the links to that. Now I'd just like to get it on the kobo...
Advert