Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #46
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
If I understand Rowling's objection to ebooks it is because they might facilitate piracy. That seems a bit ironical to me in view of the arguments in this thread.
Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Rowling is a muggle with respect to technology and thus can not help her muggled views on publishing platforms.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #47
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Rowling "loves" ebooks...
http://www.mediabistro.com/ebooknews...-ebooks_b12076
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #48
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Its about freaking time. Now finalize your $$$$$$ contract and release them already.

Its been pirated in every possible way now and imagine how much money she could have made if only she'd embrace the technology
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #49
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
<dryly>

I'm so glad that she sees the wonder and magic of ebooks when she doesn't want to be inconvenienced with paper books.

Now maybe we can get on with releasing the HP books in (legal) ebook form so that handicapped children who can only read on computers can experience the HP world along with everyone else.

Oh, yeah, and it'd be nice to stop chopping down so many trees. Whenever you want to get around to helping with that, J.K., that'd be great. Kthx.

</dryly>

Sorry. I woke up the wrong side of the bed this morning, it seems.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #50
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've said this before, so sorry if you already read this.

Ms. Rowling was opposed to HP ebooks because she said children don't own readers and she wrote the books for children.

I guess back when she said that it was true and a valid argument. Now the reader availability has shifted. Many own readers now or color readers/tablets.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #51
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Just because I own a paper copy does not give me the right to have it on an ereader unless the author allows for such distribution.
Would you apply the same to converting your CDs to MPs for use with an iPod?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #52
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post

Ms. Rowling was opposed to HP ebooks because she said children don't own readers and she wrote the books for children.

I guess back when she said that it was true and a valid argument. Now the reader availability has shifted. Many own readers now or color readers/tablets.
more than that: now their main audience for all over these years are already grownups! I see a business oportunity here...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Would you apply the same to converting your CDs to MPs for use with an iPod?
Apple & oranges. If you scanned your own pbooks and made ebooks for yourself from them... then it might be comparable. It still might be illegal depending on your jurisdiction, but it would be more on par with making copies of your legally purchased mp3's (some of which give you the explicit right to make a certain number of copies).

I'm not going to judge people for downloading illegal copies of ebooks. Just don't try to dream up scenarios where it sounds justified. I don't do it myself, but if you're going to do it... just own it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #54
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Apple & oranges. If you scanned your own pbooks and made ebooks for yourself from them... then it might be comparable. It still might be illegal depending on your jurisdiction, but it would be more on par with making copies of your legally purchased mp3's (some of which give you the explicit right to make a certain number of copies).

I'm not going to judge people for downloading illegal copies of ebooks. Just don't try to dream up scenarios where it sounds justified. I don't do it myself, but if you're going to do it... just own it.
Agreed. As far as I know, we are allowed to back up our CDs. That is not the case for books.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #55
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Considering that a lot of Mobile Readers start with their smart phone and later upgrade to something a little larger, and considering that teens and tweens are some of the biggest consumers of smart phones and other gadgets, this probably just goes to show that just because someone managed to strike a vibe with the market via their fantasy book doesn't mean they understand a darn thing about technology trends or demographic buying habits.

At any rate, the version I've always heard is that she's afraid of piracy, which just makes her even MORE out of touch because that ship sailed 12 hours after the book series was finished.

Saying she doesn't feel the need to make her books accessible to adults (why not???) would lead me to assume that there's no "big print" versions of her books, which are usually marketed to older audiences. I very much doubt those haven't been created -- the "but these are for kids, no adults allowed!" argument smacks of an after-the-fact justification that makes less sense than her piracy reason.

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-20-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #56
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ana, you confuse two things: I said, and I hope I remember it correctly, she wrote the books for children. This does not mean she does not want grown ups to read them. Also this is a very old argument, if my recollection does not forsake me. Maybe she did not anticipate back then how popular they would become with grown ups.

Also the everyone has a smartphone argument is invalid. Since when do people have them? See!

Anyway, it looks like whatever she does, people are not happy.

BTW, they are childrens books in my eyes and I will never understand why a grown up wants to read it. I read the first book and while I could see the fantasy and imagination that went into this book, all I felt was a little sadness for not having had the opportunity to have read them as a child. But they are unreadable/ I can't stand to read them now in at my age.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #57
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

@Poppaea (I love that avatar so much!!)

Sure, but saying you won't publish them in eBook form because eBooks are for adults DOES imply that you don't want to facilitate grown ups reading them. If she did say that and didn't mean it that way, then... she fails logic forever? I would say so, anyway.

I'm not sure how people aren't happy no matter what she does -- is someone arguing that she should NOT release the books in ebook form? I missed that.

The last HP book was published 6 months after the iPhone was released. And she hasn't been living in a bubble since then -- the last time I went to HPB, I saw four different runs of HP on display. She's apparently maintained all this time that kids don't have access to eReaders.

And, again, this doesn't address the handicapped kids. A niche market? Maybe. But I get annoyed with "beloved childrens' authors" just sort of forget that not everyone has the same access to their books.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #58
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

No, I said I remember she said (sic!) Kids don't have ereaders. That's a big difference. You are twisting those words!!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #59
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
No, I said I remember she said (sic!) Kids don't have ereaders. That's a big difference. You are twisting those words!!
No, I'm sorry, that's not my intention -- just how I see it. If you're saying, "I won't publish in eBook format because kids don't have eReaders", then you're acknowledging implicitly that adults DO and you don't care if they have access to your books or not.

Anyway, based on what she said in 2007, her main reason is that she just really likes paper:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...no-ebook_x.htm

So I stand by my tree killing statement above.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #60
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I'm saying it's OK to do so if there is no legal means to get the e-copy.

If you don't provide a decent legal alternative, don't complain about piracy. Period.
Translation : It's OK to steal something if there is no legal means to get what I want.

If you don't give me want I want within the law of the land, don't complain if I steal it from you.

I'm sorry. but I find it pathetic that people try to justify themselves in this way, simply because it isn't a physical object.

Society has taken the decision that intellectual property is no different from physical property - it belongs to the owner/creator.
They have every right to decide who, how, or where they sell it.
You don't even have the "justification" of poverty, because the author is not selling, so you can't legally "not buy it" !

Just don't try to cloak your act of theft iwith a veil of morality, because of a noble cause.
You just want it, so you steal it.
It's theft, pure and simple.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote