Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
talios
talios began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
Angry My Kobobrick?

Last night I started noticing that whenever I powered on my Kobo reader it had forgotten the last page of the book I was on ( returning to a page I was previously at earlier ).

Thinking this may have been disk space related ( I had 8k free on the internal storage ) I moved about 200mb of ePub files to my external SD card, since then the units been stuck at "processing content" for several hours.

I managed somehow to reset it but putting a pin in the back and pressing random buttons, but now the unit just sits at "eReading: anytime, anywhere" as tho its starting up.

I don't seem to be able to power the unit down either.

I suspect the internal DB might have been corrupted ( and I seem to be seeing a few threads about that ) so am currently downloading the kobo-dir-fresh-1.4.zip file mentioned in other forums.

But before I start replacing DBs I was wondering if anyone else had seen a similar problem? Does this sound like a DB corruption issue?
talios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
talios

Interesting - being the impatiant guy I am I replaced the database, rebooted the Kobo (without my SD card installed ) and it booted fine, only had the 100 default books but I suspect if I plug it in via USB then restart it'll process and find them.

So..... I restarted the Kobo and plugged in the SD card... and blammo - its dead again. I wonder if its a bogus ePub on the SD card...
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
farrioth
Enthusiast
farrioth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by talios View Post
So..... I restarted the Kobo and plugged in the SD card... and blammo - its dead again. I wonder if its a bogus ePub on the SD card...
I haven't had the problems you describe, but I have had issues with bad ePub files. Calibre seems to frequently make malformed ePubs when converting from HTML (I suspect the program is lazy and just throws the HTML in a ZIP with some metadata), which can cause problems for the Kobo. If you have any ePubs converted from HTML, you may wish to try removing these.

Another possibility is that you have a corrupt filesystem on your SD card, or perhaps even a bad card.
farrioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The Kobo software was designed to accommodate loading one book at a time - notice you can only buy one book at a time? So when you throw 200 books at it all at once, it will seem to choke. In your case, I'm assuming all your books were once processed successfully, so it should simply be a matter of time - if your battery is charged fully. Note: Bad epubs will cause it to hang; new books should be added only a very few at a time.

You could try loading only ten books at a time onto the SD card, then processing them. It will take more work from you, but the total time should be about the same. Then you would have some idea how long you should have waited - assuming the battery held out.

Last edited by pholy; 09-05-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Addd Note for clarity and completeness.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
For the sake of clarity, I'd go ever further. I'd remove old
db, remove all books from flash, remove SD card. Then
would add factory made db and recharge. Finally would
add few books only, to internal flash. If goes fine... Else,
new post.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
When I upload ebooks to my Kobo via Calibre, I limit the amount to 15-20. Any more may well cause the device to lock up. I very much doubt that the Kobo is alone here amongst all the ereaders.

Even my smartphone and PDA running Mobipocket get upset whilst uploading 20+ ebooks via Mobipocket Desktop in one session.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Definitely only load 10 to 20 ebooks at a time, otherwise the Kobo chokes big time!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
The Kobo software was designed to accommodate loading one book at a time - notice you can only buy one book at a time?
I phoned Kobo tech support about this because it seemed very stupid to me. The woman said that the lack of a "shopping cart" was deliberate originally, because it was thought that a shopping cart was primarily to help with shipping costs ... and since Kobobooks didn't have shipping ...

She then said that they've had complaints about this and are working on implementing a shopping cart system so that one can purchase several books at a time.

I have downloaded several books at a time from libraries without freezing problems on my Kobo.

The only book I had trouble with in terms of the time it took to load up was the Elizabeth George book This Body of Death. It was 624 pages ... so a little longer than the average book, but still seemed to take longer to load up than I thought reasonable. I put it down to some formatting problem within ADE. I've finished that book and begun the next one ... no problems so far.

Just my two cents ...

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
talios

After resetting the database and slowly copying ePubs back to the unit - seems fine tho.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
I phoned Kobo tech support about this because it seemed very stupid to me. The woman said that the lack of a "shopping cart" was deliberate originally, because it was thought that a shopping cart was primarily to help with shipping costs ... and since Kobobooks didn't have shipping ...

She then said that they've had complaints about this and are working on implementing a shopping cart system so that one can purchase several books at a time.

I have downloaded several books at a time from libraries without freezing problems on my Kobo.

The only book I had trouble with in terms of the time it took to load up was the Elizabeth George book This Body of Death. It was 624 pages ... so a little longer than the average book, but still seemed to take longer to load up than I thought reasonable. I put it down to some formatting problem within ADE. I've finished that book and begun the next one ... no problems so far.

Just my two cents ...

Mary
That's really interesting. The iTunes store doesn't have a cart either. It never occurred to me that people would want one. What's the point? Maybe people want a last chance to figure back out?
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
That's really interesting. The iTunes store doesn't have a cart either. It never occurred to me that people would want one. What's the point? Maybe people want a last chance to figure back out?
From my perspective, if I want to purchase more than one book ... I want to be able to put 2, 3 or more books into a shopping cart and buy 'em all at once. I'd also rather have one charge on my credit card that represents the entire purchase and not one book at a time.

I suppose if you are just reading one book at a time ... and don't mind buying only one book at a time ... then you don't need a shopping cart. However, if, say, you were going on vacation ... and weren't going to necessarily have computer access ... you might still like to read. Thus you might pick up 4 or 5 books at a go.

I have no experience with iTunes ... so I don't know why it would also be cart-less.

Not having a shopping cart on the website is simply short-sighted to me. With a shopping cart you can still purchase just one book ... but you can purchase several at once. It covers all the bases ... and I'd have assumed that a competent web designer would have known that.

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
From my perspective, if I want to purchase more than one book ... I want to be able to put 2, 3 or more books into a shopping cart and buy 'em all at once. I'd also rather have one charge on my credit card that represents the entire purchase and not one book at a time.
I would have to agree fully (or rather my wife would). We just went to the UK for a month on very short notice; a fair amount of time the night before we left was spent by her buying 10 to 15 books from Kobo; a process that was repeated when we were in the UK.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 AM   #13
talios

Quote:
Originally Posted by talios View Post
After resetting the database and slowly copying ePubs back to the unit - seems fine tho.
Ok, so I'm all back up and running fine - all except for the ePubs I've added to the device via Adobe Digital Editions. After dragging the files from ADE over to the Kobo, and seeing that the Kobo's settings still say its registered to my email address, I can't view the ePubs on the device

I've tried deleting the whole "Digital Editions" directory and recopying the files across a few times, but no joy.

Anyone else seen this at all?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Check to see that you reset your date/time on the Kobo. That makes a difference. Did you try deauthorizing and then reauthorizing the Kobo and/or the computer? There are instructions in the FAQ on the mobile reads wiki. I'm assuming you are not getting a content locked message, or you would have mentioned it, right?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #15
talios

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Check to see that you reset your date/time on the Kobo. That makes a difference. Did you try deauthorizing and then reauthorizing the Kobo and/or the computer? There are instructions in the FAQ on the mobile reads wiki. I'm assuming you are not getting a content locked message, or you would have mentioned it, right?
The Kobo is telling me the content is locked and that I need to authorize it. I was actually just looking for how to deauth/reauth when I refreshed this thread.

Sadly, even after deauthing then reauthing I still get "the content is locked" message - I should have mentioned I was seeing that before hand.

I wonder if I have to copy the files back AGAIN from ADE to the device now.

Has anyone mentioned how horrible that software is lately?