Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
nookware coming to Android and Winmo in "early 2010"

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/

Quote:
Coming in early 2010 - select BlackBerry®, Android™ and Windows Mobile smartphones
Now technically, that's not what it says. It says "lend me" tech, B&N's little book sharing mechanism, will be coming to those platforms in 2010. I'm going to take what I believe is a fairly logical leap and suggest that means those two platforms will have nookware* by then as well (BB already has the software which is why I didn't put it in the title).

Good news for me as a Windows Mobile user. I was reading on Pocketnow's archives last week about Borders bookstore having a tab on Sense UI as well. I can't remember if that was Android or WinMo Sense though.

All around, greater access means that smartphone platforms and users will really be able to take advantage of not being directly tied to a single storefront and be able to get better prices (by choosing the lowest priced location for one book at any given moment) without having to resort to quasi-legal or outright illegal DRM bypassing. The downside is that their books could be spread across multiple applications.

A good combination of applications might be having one application like Kindle or B&N eReader (nookware) to a store that has a fairly stable pricing structure -- kind of an every day low price shop, and combining that with one application linked to a store that does lots of big sales, like fictionwise's eReader (not nookware). You'd buy Kindle when there's no fictionwise sale and get a little lower price than fictionwise's every day price, and buy fictionwise during holidays when they mark stuff way down. The best of both worlds.

I've been watching closely for news of this, and haven't seen it posted anywhere yet. But if I missed a prior posting, I do apologize.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
There is already an eReader app for Android, so some B and N books will already work on that Platform. As a matter of fact, I use the free dictionary that B and N offers on my G1.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
There is already an eReader app for Android, so some B and N books will already work on that Platform. As a matter of fact, I use the free dictionary that B and N offers on my G1.
Last I checked, you couldn't know whether you were going to get an epub or pdb file from B&N until after you purchased it, making relying on fictionwise's eReader a a gamble. That eReader is also on Windows Mobile, but why roll the dice on a per book basis?

I look forward to more readers being on both platforms, and I hope the spectre of the 7series doesn't freeze winmo6 development.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote