Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
SteveV
SteveV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Nook Color compatibility with PDF magazines

Hi all,

Will be travelling to USA from Australia in a couple of weeks and am interested in picking up a Nook Color when I am there.

I get a lot of magazines in basic pdf format and read the via Adobe Reader on my computer.

Wondering if the NOOK Color will allow me to do the same? I imagine that all I would have to do is sideload them from my PC?

If the NOOK is no good for this, what else can be recommended in color. I also intend to use as a reader for novels etc.

Thanks all, great forum.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Can you tell us where to get such a magazine so we could test it out?
drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
SteveV

Quote:
Originally Posted by drv View Post
Can you tell us where to get such a magazine so we could test it out?
Home Theater magazine subscription sent digitally from USA.

I read them via Adobe Reader on my PC.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
face
face began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
I would imagine most, if not all magazines, are layered PDFs and the Nook does not display them well at all. Simple PDFs it does well with.
face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Home Theater magazine subscription sent digitally from USA.

I read them via Adobe Reader on my PC.

Thanks
I meant where to get a *free* copy. I doubt anyone will want to subscribe to a magazine just to test out this feature.
drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Hi all,

Will be travelling to USA from Australia in a couple of weeks and am interested in picking up a Nook Color when I am there.

I get a lot of magazines in basic pdf format and read the via Adobe Reader on my computer.

Wondering if the NOOK Color will allow me to do the same? I imagine that all I would have to do is sideload them from my PC?

If the NOOK is no good for this, what else can be recommended in color. I also intend to use as a reader for novels etc.

Thanks all, great forum.
I have not seen a PDF on the PC that did not work on the nook/mobile device. Most PDF rendering device especially Adobe Readers handle most if not all PDF.

Some PDF readers handle some PDF better than others, the stock nook PDF reader is okay. Personally I prefer ezPDF or RepligGo. Even Adobe Reader for Android is better than the stock nook PDF reader.

Unfortunately you have to root your nook to have access to these apps.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by face View Post
I would imagine most, if not all magazines, are layered PDFs and the Nook does not display them well at all. Simple PDFs it does well with.

I disagree, I love what the nook color does with magazines, it's the best possible solution to display magazines on a 7 inch screen.

Love the article scroller, etc. I think they did an excellent job with it.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
SteveV

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I disagree, I love what the nook color does with magazines, it's the best possible solution to display magazines on a 7 inch screen.

Thanks all for your input.

I have made up my mind and will purchase when I get over there.

Steve.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
face
face began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
Are the magazines you are reading epub or PDF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

face is offline   Reply With Quote