Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Why in the world would I bother to complain to the publisher?

I'll just go to Amazon, Barnes, Borders, Diesel, BooksOnBoard or any one of numerous other stores and buy the book and download it.

Heck, I'm pretty sure I can just go to my Library Overdrive and check it out.

Why would Google eBooks be restricted from providing what every other eBook store delivers for the exact same prices? Why would a customer want to mess with it?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Why would Google eBooks be restricted from providing what every other eBook store delivers for the exact same prices? Why would a customer want to mess with it?
It's not Google that dictates it. It's the publisher. Who hopes people will be stupid enough to fall into their trap.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #18
ebookrights
Banned
ebookrights began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It's not Google that dictates it. It's the publisher. Who hopes people will be stupid enough to fall into their trap.
Someone is gonna to complain that Google should not allow them doing it, like Google is the moral enforcer in our brave new online world.

Let's not forget that Google is a money making business and it resides in a world that's seen far more time without the Internet.

Clash of cultures, I guess.

P.S. I'm still saddened by the fact that Google is restricting access to its eBook platform for people outside the US. I will do with public domain books for now, but well...
ebookrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #19
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Just downloaded and tried the iOS app on the iPad. Some of the features:

Nice search feature, decent formatting (though it depends on the book), a day and night mode, adjustable typeface (select from one of seven fonts), change text size, and line height.

You have the option of viewing Flowing Text or the Scanned pages (for books that have them) and I suspect the scanned page option requires an internet connection.

There is no landscape option and it does not respond to device orientation changes. Bummer.

Anyway, these are some quick thoughts.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #20
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookrights View Post
Someone is gonna to complain that Google should not allow them doing it, like Google is the moral enforcer in our brave new online world.

Let's not forget that Google is a money making business and it resides in a world that's seen far more time without the Internet.

Clash of cultures, I guess.
I don't think people will complain. I think they'll just click their way over to another store.

At least I will.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think people will complain. I think they'll just click their way over to another store.

At least I will.
Let's hope so. Because that's the only way to get it into their tiny brains that people don't want to be restricted in what device they can use.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #22
ebookrights
Banned

Quote:

At least I will.
I guess, for the majority people out there, buying ebooks from different stores and doing all the conversion and transferring and archiving, is just too much.

Besides, I'm quite fond of the feature that syncs the last read position (and hopefully, highlights) between different platforms. And you can't get this without a book from the store.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #23
ebookrights
Banned

Quote:
Let's hope so. Because that's the only way to get it into their tiny brains that people don't want to be restricted in what device they can use.
I hope so.

Maybe it's a good time to re-visit how Apple started selling DRM free...

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

P.S. I understand Apple does not have the best history of "protecting the customers". I haven't thought much about the differences between the music and publishing industry either. Still I hope DRM-free and portable formats will be the future.

Either that or we're going to be like the times as described by "1984", or at least, the Amazon fiasco with "1984" will happen again and again.

Last edited by ebookrights; 12-06-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #24
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I guess, for the majority people out there, buying ebooks from different stores and doing all the conversion and transferring and archiving, is just too much.

Besides, I'm quite fond of the feature that syncs the last read position (and hopefully, highlights) between different platforms. And you can't get this without a book from the store.
No matter how much features they add, if I can't read it on all my devices, why would I need it anyway? I have several devices (total of 7 in the house), and I could those cloud books on a total of (drum roll): 0.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #25
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
Quote:
P.S. I'm still saddened by the fact that Google is restricting access to its eBook platform for people outside the US. I will do with public domain books for now, but well...
Second you on that. Hopefully the lack of access to the paid version of the store is only for today/ 2-3 days. I'll wait a bit more before I comment anymore on this decision.
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #26
ebookrights
Banned

Quote:
No matter how much features they add, if I can't read it on all my devices, why would I need it anyway? I have several devices (total of 7 in the house), and I could those cloud books on a total of (drum roll): 0.
I understand your sentiments.

I was evaluating different ebook platforms back then, and almost settled on Amazon's Kindle. But stopped at the last minute to wait for Google's.

If anyone is going to make DRM-free and portable/interchangeable ebook formats happen on a large scale, my guess is on Google. I mean, rather than Amazon, B&N, Borders......
Old 12-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #27
abookreader
Wizard

Quote:
Ah yes the "People are helpless and stupid so let us take care of you" mode of thinking.

From what I understand Google has a scanned library of out of print books that maybe is not be available in other stores and they are working to get those available. I might be interested in checking that out but as far as their "cloud service" I'm not a fan.

Because as I said, if I'm only getting the right to visit the book - I'm not interested in paying full retail price for that service. I already have a Public Library who keeps a whole bunch of books that I can visit - both electronically and physical.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #28
ebookrights
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini View Post
Second you on that. Hopefully the lack of access to the paid version of the store is only for today/ 2-3 days. I'll wait a bit more before I comment anymore on this decision.
I wish so as well, but I read that non-US access is at least into (early-)2011.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ah yes the "People are helpless and stupid so let us take care of you" mode of thinking.

From what I understand Google has a scanned library of out of print books that maybe is not be available in other stores and they are working to get those available. I might be interested in checking that out but as far as their "cloud service" I'm not a fan.

Because as I said, if I'm only getting the right to visit the book - I'm not interested in paying full retail price for that service. I already have a Public Library who keeps a whole bunch of books that I can visit - both electronically and physical.
Yes, calling it an ebook library instead of an ebook store would be much more to the truth then. And have prices correspondingly, naturally.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #30
ebookrights
Banned

Quote:
Not necessarily helpless and stupid, but lazy (and enjoy convenience).

Tags
ebook, google