Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 01-06-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iSilo/X V4.2 released

iSilo and iSiloX V4.2 were released earlier today and are now ready for your download.

New highlights of the reader iSilo:
- Added image map support.
- Beta of iSilo on the Symbian UIQ platform, to lead to the first release of iSilo on that platform.
- Addressing of miscellaneous issues.
Detailed list of changes.

New highlights of the the convertor iSiloX:
- Added RSS conversion capability (GREAT!!!)
- Added handling of image maps.
- Addressing of miscellaneous issues
Detailed list of changes.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
The mac version is also out too...It has support for rss feeds now.
Advert
Old 01-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
rbentley101
rbentley101 began at the beginning.

RSS Feeds

Alexander,

Thank you for the updates on Isilo. I am interested in trying RSS feeds, but I have never used them before. Can you provide a quick explanation and maybe a sample site with settings?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can find a quick RSS intro on our RSS page.

I would be grateful for a quick reply if it was helpful to you.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
rbentley101

Alex,

I am probably being dense, but can I use Isilo as an aggregator? If so how do I set it up?
Advert
Old 01-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Nope, iSiloX supporting RSS feeds means you can use iSiloX to browse RSS feeds as if they were HTML pages. Simply add the URL of the RSS feed the 'document source'.

For example, use:
http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmaddicts/index.rdf

as the url.

If you are new to RSS feeds, and like to aggregate them, I recommend you to test FeedDemon (if you are a Windows user) or NewNewsWire (if you are using Mac). Give it a try, it is a great way of reading news on the Net!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #7
rbentley101

I tried that url but I get an error message of "unsupported content type". I am using version 4.2. What am I doing wrong?
Old 01-09-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Oups... Indeed, this particular feed (RSS 1.0) doesn't work with iSiloX yet. Sorry, I should have checked before. Try for instance this one (RSS 2.0) instead:

http://www.brighthand.com/feeds/rss.php
Old 01-10-2005, 10:34 PM   #9
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
iSilo 4.2 and such...

I like NewsMac as my Mac RSS aggregator. I don't know if the others have this feature, but NewsMac uses iSiloXC to convert my RSS feeds into an iSilo document for offline reading. It's kinda cool.

I'm having trouble converting several RSS feeds using the newest iSilo 4.2. I have opened a few threads in the iSilo forums and am waiting patiently for some feedback from the people over there.

My current thing is to set my iSilo channels to convert early in the morning. Then as soon as I wake up, I open NewsMac (I've got it set to download my RSS's and convert them using iSiloXC as soon as I open it) and get ready for the day while my beloved, but ancient (iMac DV 400MHz, poor thing) computer crunches away at that computation. Then I hotSync to install everything and away I go.
Now I'm curious, what do y'all do? What process do you guys follow to get your readabilities on?
POL9A
Old 01-11-2005, 04:27 AM   #10
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
I am afraid to admit, but RSS has replaced a lot of my iSiloX/offline-browser activities. Currently, I use FeedDemon for Windows, which does a great job in fetching me the latest news. There is hardly any news left in the of the day for me to clip or download using iSiloX.

That doesn't mean iSilo has become useless for me! On the contrary, I use it more than ever before for reading my e-books
Old 01-11-2005, 09:35 PM   #11
dillon65
Connoisseur
dillon65 began at the beginning.

Device: TX
Hello Morpheus:

Explain how the RRS works, I have read the explaination, what I means is; do you use a PPC, or a Palm, do you use internet explorer? With RSS, do you not have to sync at some point.

dillon
Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #12
Arnaud
Enthusiast
Arnaud began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
New highlights of the the convertor iSiloX:
- Added RSS conversion capability (GREAT!!!)

[...]
Hi Alexander, hello everyone !

As many of you, the RSS thing has somehow been a complete stranger to me.
(Maybe because Safari doesn't support them, and the idea to switch from one software - the RSS aggregator, like NetNewsWire- to the browser, is something I don't wanna do.
But as I'm slowly switching from Safari to Firefox - before the version of SafariRSS that will come with Tiger- I'm getting interested in the RSS thing ... without completely understanding it.)

I mean, I understand the use in Firefox : I've just discovered the "Sage" extension, and indeed it's useful.

But THE thing I don't understand - and I've made a blog entry out of it is the use of RSS on a Palm.
I've tried two solutions (HandRSS, Newsmac coupled with iSiloXC) and I still don't get it.

I mean, are we supposed to read/get only the excerpts ?
Or the RSS+iSilo thing means we can get the full articles from the xml or rss pages ?

To put it another way : are we supposed to put 0 or 1 link depth ?

(That's a clear and good question )

Because as I understand it, the RSS page now is "iSilo formatted" with this 4.2 version, but the article linked itself won't be (why should it, since it's the normal web page).

Am i clear on this ?
(I'm confused already, I'm having trouble explaining it in french, so imagine in english !
Old 02-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #13
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaud
To put it another way : are we supposed to put 0 or 1 link depth ?
I use RSS channels in iSiloX with a link depth of 1 (off-site.) My channels vary between 200KB-1,200KB depending on the complexity of the RSS channel (BBC news vs. PC news,...)

I just discovered the use of excluding links to keep iSilo channels small, but I'm still learning how to underdstand inclusive URL's otherwise I'd have some concrete suggestions on how to have a link depth of 1 (off-site) but still the smallest possible file sizes.
POL9A