Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
rittsi
Enthusiast
rittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 505, iphone 3GS, Kindle 3
Greetings from Belgium

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on the forum for awhile and thought it was finally time to introduce myself. I've been interested in ebooks since about a year ago but never really took the time to investigate dedicated ebook readers until I saw Amazon's Kindle on the cover of Newsweek. At the time I was reading books on my Nintendo DS and have since upgraded to Bookr on a psp slim.

Eventually I would like to purchase an e-ink device, but at the moment I'm just interested in following the recent developments. (Although I have to admit, had I lived in the States I would be very tempted by the Kindle.)

Personally, I love the idea of using an ebook reader. I'm a native English speaker and really miss being able to visit the local bookstore to buy/browse English books. (And even when it comes to Dutch literature, Antwerp does not really have much to offer.) Ebooks have basically solved that problem for me. I've also been using my psp to read pdf files for some of my classes. While it's certainly not ideal, it's meant that I don't have to carry as much with me when I'm traveling to and from campus.
rittsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
welcome.say hello to Albert for me.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello rittsi
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi rittsi and welcome to the Forum.

Are ebooks popular in Belgium?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
rittsi
Enthusiast
rittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enoughrittsi will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 505, iphone 3GS, Kindle 3
Quote:
welcome.say hello to Albert for me.
Haha. Will do.

Quote:
Unfortunately, they're not that popular. I think most people don't even know you can read them on something other than a pc. I hope that will change though!
rittsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Welcome, I lived for 3 years in Belgium in a little town called Meeuwen. I miss the Beer and the pomme frits. I remember going to a pub in Antwerp where they made you give them your shoes when your ordered a Kwak Beer. They would give you your shoes back when you returned the glass. Apparently they had bit of a problem with people taking the unique glass that the beer was served in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	494px-Kwak.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	12353  
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi rittsi and welcome to the Forum.

No way. Even pbooks: we haven't got the reading culture the way they have it eg in the uk.
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Ill tell you this-I have never seen ONE in my country.So youve stil got it good.

ps:whats your opinion on Mr. A?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hi, rittsi:

Welcome to MobileRead.

I share your problem about having very few books in English. I live in Peru, but the majority of books are Stephen King novels, current and old mystery novels. (I read King, but I already have all his work.)

If a new Haruki Murakami came out [Hopeful Prediction: Nobel Prize next year?) , I would have to order it from Amazon or hope that it would be quickly available for my Sony.

It would be great to see some literary criticism on the Gothic in literature or any published doctoral studies on Stephen King on the Sublime in Horror....but these are not available in bookstores in Peru. And when I want to read doctoral studies on horror, then I have to order it. When I was working on my doctorate, I had easy access to all the literary criticism I needed.

That leads me back to your situation: Ebooks are GREAT when it comes to reading literature that has gone into the public domain or for reading - mostly - current bestsellers or fiction.

I personally think the next big challenge - perhaps current challenge - is when PDF documents can be read on Readers. For me personally, this would allow the purchased download of literary texts. Once this happens, it will open the floodgates in academia and in the business world.

Anyway, these are my opinions.

So, I welcome you to MobileRead and may you find a lot of helpful informatin here. Hopefully, next year, you'll be able to carry the bulk of your texts on a Reader.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Welcome, I lived for 3 years in Belgium in a little town called Meeuwen. I miss the Beer and the pomme frits. I remember going to a pub in Antwerp where they made you give them your shoes when your ordered a Kwak Beer. They would give you your shoes back when you returned the glass. Apparently they had bit of a problem with people taking the unique glass that the beer was served in.
Noooooo, that particular pub is called "De Dulle Griet" and is actually in Gent. Sorry, sensitive issue
Old 04-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #11
WDecraene
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
ps:whats your opinion on Mr. A?
Well, I actually like the guy. Likes motorcycles and pretty women and actually didn't want the job in the first place. But don't get me started on his off-spring
Old 04-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #12
Lobolover
Gorosei

but you will have to start liking him in the end-the right divine cannot be taken away,you know.