Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
bball2
bball2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Accidentally purchased a couple of books

So just got my kindle today and was looking around the amazon store, and realized just how easy it is to accidentally order books. If you click on the book title more than once (I probably clicked 3-4 times since it was slow to load) it automatically purchases the book without another screen at all. So after I got to the book page and downloaded a sample I realized that I had both the sample and the actual book on homepage.

Anyways, on a positive note, I love Amazon Customer Service, you can request a call, they called me in like 10 seconds after I clicked the button, and reversed the charges!
bball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
You can not "automatically" purchase a book on Amazon by clicking on the title, no matter how many times you click on it. You must have clicked on the "Buy Now" button.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
bball2
bball2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
You can not "automatically" purchase a book on Amazon by clicking on the title, no matter how many times you click on it. You must have clicked on the "Buy Now" button.
Beats me, I know it defaults to hovering over the buy button when you go to the page, but I'm sure that I didn't see any confirmation of the buy it now page that you usually see.
bball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I had my Kindle 2 at a family get together and my Brother-in-law wanted to see how it worked. So, I showed him how to open a book, turn pages and access the Amazon website. I went to the restroom and came back and he handed it back to me and said it was a neat little device.

It wasn't until I got home that I noticed he had "1-clicked" an erotic book.

My Kindle account is shared by my Wife and 4 of my kids who use the Ipod Touch.

Needless to say I immediately called Amazon and they reversed the charges and removed the title from my account.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I "accidentally" buy books all the time. At least, that's one of the excuses I'm thinking of telling the missus...
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
I don't have my Kindle yet, but I've heard that you can contact amazon to have them disable the one-click feature on the kindle. My question is, with one-click disabled, how does buying on the kindle work? Does the book simply go into the cart, awaiting one to click check out and then order? Are you prompted for a password at one point to complete the order (I would like this, especially if I want to share the account with the family).
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have shopped for books from my kindle. I do that from my laptop and have it sent to my kindle. And I do not have the 3g version of the kindle just wifi and I leave it off and only turn it on when I know I have a book to download.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I thought Amazon once pulled one on me when I found a book I did not purchase in my library. Very irate, but calm, (if that is possible) I called Amazon and explained to them that I never bought this book and that I was charged for this book. The CS was very polite and credited my account and gave me the book for free, even though though I did not care for the book. The CS insisted I accept the book as an Amazon courtesy.

It ends up I had bought the book for my niece for a class of hers* and since the purchase was not for me I completely forgot I bought the book. It's just not the kind of book I would ever read.

*Weeks after the call to amazon, my memory was triggered when I saw hard copy of that book downstairs, it seems non of my family likes to read books electronically. What I've found very odd about eBooks is that the older generation seems to like eBooks and the younger crowd seems to prefer physical books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
I don't have my Kindle yet, but I've heard that you can contact amazon to have them disable the one-click feature on the kindle. My question is, with one-click disabled, how does buying on the kindle work? Does the book simply go into the cart, awaiting one to click check out and then order? Are you prompted for a password at one point to complete the order (I would like this, especially if I want to share the account with the family).
Yes you can disable one click and at that point it acts just like a regular shopping cart. but if you disable the 1-Click you cannot buy books from your Kindle.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
u must need to click buy now button for purchasing,
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes you can disable one click and at that point it acts just like a regular shopping cart. but if you disable the 1-Click you cannot buy books from your Kindle.
So it's all or nothing. I suppose I can add books to the cart from my kindle, and then when I'm ready to buy, I can fire up the Amazon Android app on my phone, see the items in my cart, and checkout.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote