Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
neubin
neubin began at the beginning.

Viewing pdf's on the reader

I am interested in purchasing the Sony Reader but am curious about how preexisting pdf’s look on the device. (Sorry if this has been discussed in detail somewhere on the forum but I haven’t been able to locate anything that directly answers my questions.)

So, if I have pdf document are they able to be viewed on the reader? How do they look? Does one have to use some kind of software to convert it? Are there any issues if the .pdf is protected or not?

Any info provided would be greatly appreciated.
neubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
timmins
eBook Obsessive
timmins began at the beginning.

Device: tc1100, q1, hw6945, h6315, x3i
Let's put it this way... I bought the Sony Reader at 1pm, and by 7pm it was being returned. I don't mean to sound overly negative but PDFs were the main format for my use. I browsed this forum and used both tools out there to bump up contrast and format for the screen... but in the end, a book that is 800 pages just took too much effort.

The text is very faint, and the margins are usually to blame for the scaling of text being too small. I found it very unusable and until Sony finds a clear solution I will continue using one of my tablets.
timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by neubin
So, if I have pdf document are they able to be viewed on the reader? How do they look? Does one have to use some kind of software to convert it? Are there any issues if the .pdf is protected or not?
The Reader can't be used with DRMed PDF files.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
baker101
baker101 began at the beginning.

using pdarastafarian made my pdfs look very nice and clear.
baker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
baker101

have you tried pdfrastafarian?

i converted a pdf of mine to lrf file and am very pleased with the outcome. if size is an issue, i just convert it to landscape mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmins
Let's put it this way... I bought the Sony Reader at 1pm, and by 7pm it was being returned. I don't mean to sound overly negative but PDFs were the main format for my use. I browsed this forum and used both tools out there to bump up contrast and format for the screen... but in the end, a book that is 800 pages just took too much effort.

The text is very faint, and the margins are usually to blame for the scaling of text being too small. I found it very unusable and until Sony finds a clear solution I will continue using one of my tablets.
Advert
Old 01-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
JimCuk
Enthusiast
JimCuk began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500
PDFFrastaFarian is a solution that works well. I mainly wanted the reader for PDFs and they look perfect with the help of FrastaFarian.

I have no problems using the device with them I was worried there would be issues and almost didnt buy one but im glad I took the leap.

timmins: Obviously you didnt put in the effort to find out the work arounds, its not perfect IE the Sony software should handle it itself. But the community has come to the rescue.
JimCuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
JimCuk
Enthusiast

PS. Even DRMed PDF files can be used if you have the software to crack them...
Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
For some of the books I had in PDF I converted them to RTF. All of the graphics were gone but the text remained.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCuk
PS. Even DRMed PDF files can be used if you have the software to crack them...
And that would be...
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
timmins
eBook Obsessive

Quote:
timmins: Obviously you didnt put in the effort to find out the work arounds, its not perfect IE the Sony software should handle it itself. But the community has come to the rescue.
Actually Jim, I think I even said in my post I put the effort in. Like you said it's not perfect... it's not even close to acceptable.

Maybe you enjoy sitting for hours while an 800 page PDF converts... I don't.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #11
timmins
eBook Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker101
have you tried pdfrastafarian?

i converted a pdf of mine to lrf file and am very pleased with the outcome.
did you read my post?

yes, I was very disappointed with the time consuming effort and lackluster results.

Last edited by timmins; 01-15-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #12
baker101

i dont know what books you are converting, but for my programming books, they all come out crystal clear with teh rasta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmins
did you read my post?

yes, I was very disappointed with the time consuming effort and lackluster results.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #13
JimCuk
Enthusiast

It comes out very clear, yes it takes a while (like an hour for say 800 pages on my PC) but how long does it take to read 800 pages? you wont be doing it every day.

SoCal bob check your PMs :P
Old 01-16-2007, 10:17 AM   #14
timmins
eBook Obsessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker101
i dont know what books you are converting, but for my programming books, they all come out crystal clear with teh rasta.
It was an 800 pg Wrox book - either one about APIs or some PHP5 book. I never really said it didn't come out crystal clear. I just can't imagine why someone would pay $300 for a device that needs so much pre-processing of a file in order to read. My biggest gripe is why would I want to buy a device where I have to convert all of my PDFs into butchered versions?

As fair as it is to speak your experience, I think it was very fair for me to speak up in a post where someone is considering a device for PDF reading. It is not optimal, and IMO it's not acceptable. If the OP was asking how LIT or RTF look... I would have chimed in a said spectacular.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
timmins
eBook Obsessive

Quote:
It comes out very clear, yes it takes a while (like an hour for say 800 pages on my PC) but how long does it take to read 800 pages? you wont be doing it every day.

SoCal bob check your PMs :P
If I had to do it for every PDF I own or read I would be doing it every day for the next two years.

Is it really that hard to have an opposing opinion on this forum? Just curious...