Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 AM   #31
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Look... I *want* the iTablet/iBook/iNetbook, whatever it ends up being called, to be released. And I really, really want one. However, given how much the bought-without-a-restrictive-contract (which actually ends up costing the user a HUGE amount over the MSRP price of the iPhone) iPhone costs, I fully expect any iTablet will be quite a ways over $1,000.

I'll bet that it will be available for $299-$399 *WITH* an expensive 2-year contract for AT&T Wireless services.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:27 AM   #32
crovakiet
crovakiet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS300SC
The apple tablet is probably going to compete in the netbook arena. The display is not E-ink, so i doubt it will catch on in the e-reader arena unless everyone's eyes just magically happen to become super awesome and dont get strained/tired when looking at backlit screens.
crovakiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 03:57 AM   #33
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Interesting:

1. An Apple tablet has been rumoured since Apple rumours began - I seem to remember there was going to be one at the 2009 January launch bonanza. Hmm.
2. Tablets are not e-readers. They're laptops with handwriting recognition/drawing surfaces. You can read on the, sure, but you can read on a laptop. It's not the point.
3. The point is what it's designed for. E-readers are designed for people to read; laptops are for people who want to do lots of electronic things on the move, of which one might be reading. Tablets are designed for people who want to add drawing and note-taking to the list of things they do with a laptop. Apple might break the mould with a tablet - they've done it before - but it won't be cheap (Apple *does not do cheap*). Apple has a general strategy of not moving into a market until it's got a game-changer ready. iPod and iPhone are two successful examples. Apple-TV and Newton less so.
4. Analysts, bless their little cotton socks, have a marvellous track record of getting Apple wrong. My favourite is here:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...1517/index.htm

It's old, but it's a classic. My point is, don't let's jump to too many conclusions just yet.

And here's an example of someone only too ready to jump to conclusions right this minute:

http://www.tgdaily.com/consumer-elec...e-apple-tablet

Last edited by nick101; 12-10-2009 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Added priceless R Enderle item
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #34
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
if the world actually owned the keys to it's collective sense of humor, they could call a larger format device from ApPlE the Max iPad or Max iTouch or something along those lines.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #35
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
if the world actually owned the keys to it's collective sense of humor, they could call a larger format device from ApPlE the Max iPad or Max iTouch or something along those lines.
O h dear lord... Max iPad would be so incredibly funny!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #36
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crovakiet View Post
The apple tablet is probably going to compete in the netbook arena. The display is not E-ink, so i doubt it will catch on in the e-reader arena unless everyone's eyes just magically happen to become super awesome and dont get strained/tired when looking at backlit screens.
Hey, I must have super awesome eyes then... They don't get strained/tired when looking at backlit screens!

I couldn't care less about an apple tablet. But I found this on engadget that I liked much better:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/10/a...d-coming-soon/
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #37
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Whatever it's going to be what I thought was the most interesting point in the article is that Apple is supposedly negotiating with publishers for ebooks. That would definitely put pressure on Amazon, B&N, Sony, etc to compete. What I hope doesn't happen is another stinking DRM scheme to contend with.

Apple isn't known for its openness with software and hardware so I wouldn't be surprised if any Apple ebooks end up locked in to the one device or at best a social DRM that locks the ebooks into Apple devices. Publishers determine whether an ebook has DRM and not even Apple can change that. iTunes may now be DRM-free but not until after other MP3 outlets were allowed to do so.

*I am not an Apple fangirl even though I own a MacBook Pro (mostly run Win7 on it) and made a Dell Mini 10 Hackintosh for my pre-teen. Used to have a dual boot Win7/OSX but after I installed Win7 RTM I decided it wasn't worth the trouble reinstall OSX since I rarely used it.*
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #38
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I'll believe in a dedicated e-book device by Apple when I see it, when I think of an Apple Tablet I think of something akin to an iPhone but more Mac OSX like.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #39
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hey, I must have super awesome eyes then... They don't get strained/tired when looking at backlit screens!

I couldn't care less about an apple tablet. But I found this on engadget that I liked much better:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/10/a...d-coming-soon/
I find it funny that I already know I do not have super awesome vision (I wear prescription glasses and no, they aren't coated with anything), but I can read on a backlit screen for hours just fine, no eyestrain, no tiredness.

That link is pretty sweet! Needs to be bigger though. At least 8 inches.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #40
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I find it funny that I already know I do not have super awesome vision (I wear prescription glasses and no, they aren't coated with anything), but I can read on a backlit screen for hours just fine, no eyestrain, no tiredness.
Maybe this is why you wear prescription glasses....

LCD is much considerably better on your eyes, than the old tubes, but the fluorescent backlighting still flickers at a particular frequency, which may tire your eyes over extended periods of reading.

That's why I am hoping for OLED from Apple. And yes, it will likely be a bit pricey at first.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #41
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a Zune HD with an OLED display and it's subtly different from backlit LCD. Of course I haven't done any reading on it but I do like the display. According to the article Apple isn't using an OLED display. Who knows? It's still vaporware.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #42
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Maybe this is why you wear prescription glasses....

LCD is much considerably better on your eyes, than the old tubes, but the fluorescent backlighting still flickers at a particular frequency, which may tire your eyes over extended periods of reading.

That's why I am hoping for OLED from Apple. And yes, it will likely be a bit pricey at first.

LOL you got me. I should have clarified that I've worn glasses since childhood (WELL before widespread use of LCD OR older computer screens...I'm OLD). My vision hasn't deteriorated any more than expected in the last ten years though.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #43
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I have a Zune HD with an OLED display and it's subtly different from backlit LCD. Of course I haven't done any reading on it but I do like the display. According to the article Apple isn't using an OLED display. Who knows? It's still vaporware.
I underuse my Zune almost to a criminal degree. can it function as a reading device also?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #44
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Not the HD version but the other ones can. Check out the Zune Boards for the Zen Reader, it seems the more polished of the two available applications.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #45
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
have you used it? is it worth exploring?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple tablet, kindle killer