Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Updating to 0.33g

I was going to update my jetBook to 0.33g but it looks like the update is only available as a .exe. I had assumed it was a self extracting zip file and those should be handled fine by my unzip program. However after trying several different compression programs nothing can recognize whatever it is. Lovely, jut lovely.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

[sigh] Tried it on the Mac and still can't get in open. Guess non-Wintel users are out of luck.
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
[sigh] Tried it on the Mac and still can't get in open. Guess non-Wintel users are out of luck.
You could probably have one of the users here email it to you or put it online somewhere. I can open it with 7-zip, so it must be extractable with some Mac program.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Did you try to just rename it .zip. Usually that works when it is a self-extractor.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Teyrnon
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
You could probably have one of the users here email it to you or put it online somewhere. I can open it with 7-zip, so it must be extractable with some Mac program.
Just installed 7zip and tried it. Didn't work. Can anyone tell me what archive format it is?
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Teyrnon
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did you try to just rename it .zip. Usually that works when it is a self-extractor.
Yeah, one of the first things I tried. It's not a zip archive, whatever it is.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Teyrnon
Groupie

Quote:
Yeah, one of the first things I tried. It's not a zip archive, whatever it is.
Right, looks like it was a rar.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
'The Unarchiver' Mac freeware (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...narchiver.html) recognized it and uncompressed it first time I tried.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Teyrnon
Groupie

Well, after many frustrations and tendinitis flare-ups I've got it updated. I'm seeing some improvements in how it handles epub files.

So, is there a list of what formats are supported as of 0.33g?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Well, after many frustrations and tendinitis flare-ups I've got it updated. I'm seeing some improvements in how it handles epub files.

So, is there a list of what formats are supported as of 0.33g?
ePub, Mobi, PRC, RTF, .txt, .pdf, .fb2 + HTML
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
'The Unarchiver' Mac freeware (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...narchiver.html) recognized it and uncompressed it first time I tried.
Mmm... that didn't work for me.

I am kind of annoyed at Ectaco for doing this. Part of the whole reason I bought the Jetbook was that it was essentially agnostic to what sort of computer I was using (I don't like MS Windows).

I will have to see what other tools are available.

For the heck of it, I tried logging into the anonymous ftp site and downloading the firmware with a .zip extension and a file downloaded, and it appeared to update the firmware.. but it won't open any books -- it just provides an hourglass ... Not exactly what I was hoping for. My guess is that it was an alpha release of the firmware.

Did see that Jetbook is using fbreader though.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
Teyrnon
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Mmm... that didn't work for me.
Try changing the .exe extension to .rar. Make sure you have a decompression utility that understands .rar.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
For the heck of it, I tried logging into the anonymous ftp site
Link?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Try changing the .exe extension to .rar. Make sure you have a decompression utility that understands .rar.
Actually that didn't work... there is an RAR in there, but they are packaging some other stuff in there as well. I needed to download file juicer then ran that, and finally was able to extract the rar.

--
Bill
Old 09-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
bill_mchale
Wizard

So I appear to have successfully uploaded the firm ware, but things still are not, shall we say perfect. Some epubs appear to hang the reader. In particular the ones I am having problems with are some (but not all) that I have downloaded from feedbooks. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

--
Bill