Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #16
Diffraction
Diffraction began at the beginning.

Device: none
First of all, thank you all for the detailed answers. I think between the lines I had already read some of this, but compiled like this it is even better.

I was dead set against getting the Sony before, but now I may be warming up to it. I guess I will have to decide between Sony and Hanlin. I definitely do not want 25sec boot-up time. With a toddler at home, the eBook needs to be like a "book", immediate shut-down and boot-up.

Thanks again,

D.
Diffraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diffraction View Post
I definitely do not want 25sec boot-up time. With a toddler at home, the eBook needs to be like a "book", immediate shut-down and boot-up.
I totally agree with you, waiting up to 45sec to start reading when you may only get 5 min to read before the toddler needs attention is tooooo long! I got around this on the Cybook by turning off the "Auto Power Off" option. I would then only have to boot-up my book once a day, preferably first thing in the day before I want to read.

I really like the 'suspend' mode as described for the BeBook. 4 weeks of battery time on standby seems great to me. Of course I'm always adding new books, mostly from the MobileRead collection, so my Cybook gets small charging sessions at least once a week and never really gets down to 0% anyway.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 04:16 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diffraction View Post
I was dead set against getting the Sony before, but now I may be warming up to it. I guess I will have to decide between Sony and Hanlin. I definitely do not want 25sec boot-up time. With a toddler at home, the eBook needs to be like a "book", immediate shut-down and boot-up.

Thanks again,

D.
But you don't have to sit there and "wait" for it. You pick up the CyBook, pressing the power switch as you do so, sit down in your chair, get yourself comfortable, and by the time you open the cover it's there ready for you to start reading. You do this automatically after a few days using it. It really is a total non-issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #19
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But you don't have to sit there and "wait" for it. You pick up the CyBook, pressing the power switch as you do so, sit down in your chair, get yourself comfortable, and by the time you open the cover it's there ready for you to start reading. You do this automatically after a few days using it. It really is a total non-issue.
Personal preference, really, because I think it depends on your reading style. I'll read when waiting in line (particularly this time of year) or other short timeframes - and 30-40 seconds feels like an eternity at that point. Even 15 seconds feels too long. So I always had to have mine with the power off disabled or was way too frustrating.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #20
Diffraction
Diffraction began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
Personal preference, really, because I think it depends on your reading style. I'll read when waiting in line (particularly this time of year) or other short timeframes - and 30-40 seconds feels like an eternity at that point. Even 15 seconds feels too long. So I always had to have mine with the power off disabled or was way too frustrating.
I think everyone has different "preferences". It depends on where you are in your life. I think the Cybook is probably the best choice if you are not hurried. Looking up words in the dictionary (I often skip over, because on the rare accounts that I do not know a word, I can guess from context), taking time to get comfortable while your book boots. It is the best way of enjoying a book, but a lot of us do not have that luxury.

I will check out the Bebook, the Sony, and maybe if I find one, the Cybook, before deciding.

Thanks again,

D.
Diffraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert