Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
bwrobel
bwrobel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard wifi only
retrieving unsaved note from kindle keyboard wifi model.

Hi, I just spent a week in switzerland, I borrowed my wife's kindle keyboard wifi only for the trip. At the conclusion off the trip when on the airplane, after two days of not sleeping, I spent 2 hours writing a note in Paul Auster's New York Trilogy. I placed the kindle down to go to restroom. I did not save the note. When I returned the kindle was either on the home page table of contents or turned off. I can't remember. I figure if the former, I mistakenly hit the home button when I put it down. If the latter, the kindle may have timed out from lack of use and turned off. Suffice to say I lost the note. What I wrote I can not recreate. It was a stream of conscience prose that spewed forth from an intensely emotional trip that was conjured by the loss of my father the week before, travel, landscape, art, architecture, people and language. I would love more than anything to retrieve what I wrote, what I was thinking. I was almost running on delirium after five days of intense snow boarding in the alps and two days in Geneva without sleep where all sorts of interesting things happened. Is there anyway to retrieve a note that was unsaved. I have heard that on hard drives even if a document or file is deleted it can be retrievable by a computer expert. Is there any chance this is the case with the kindle. Note, the note was never saved then deleted, it was rather drafted and cleared by either hitting home or turning off from lack of use. Perhaps a safety back up was created that can be accessed? Any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.
bwrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Crikey.

That's a tough one.

i) I'm unsure about how the unsaved note mechanism would operate when the note was never saved. I dont use it.

ii) assuming that it was ever "in memory" and was never "hard written" it would probably have been splattered by now.

iii) I am assuming you have NOT rebooted since that time or you can forget b) below /tmp gets clobbered after a reboot

right so...

a) assuming it did ever get written to a "backup" then I would firstly back up my entire FAT partition. (there are tools on here for that) and then grep the lot for known words.

like grep -r "geneva" ./backupOfFatMounted/*

b) also backup the /var partition (just in case it is in /tmp) and repeat process a)
also maybe just do a hex search for known terms - why not.

c) assuming it made it onto the MMC chip (for whatever reason) I would backup my entire device (same tools) and the use a HEX EDITOR to do the same search.

as you can probably tell - there is an increasing amount of desperation in each of these steps...

I would politely suggest that if you make it to b) and have failed... then it is gone. But hey, you were backing up everything anyways...

k3flasher with dpavlins incremental dump patch could do the backup.

grep is on all? unix based systems... GHex can search hexwise.

Hope that helps.

Perhaps someone else has a greater knowledge of the notes system, Mine is just a BIG HAMMER solution.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert