Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Skinny on K4

I have a K3, and very happy with it. New Kindles are rumoured, but they may or may not be what I'm wishing for. In case they are not, I'm thinking of getting a new K3 as a backup, in case something happens to my present eReader.

However, I looked at the lineup and the K4 SO (if they ship those internationally) looks like a sweet deal. But there are some concerns. There seems to be some restrictions on WiFi usage. Can I tether it or not to a Smartphone? I would need that capability in case I want to get some new books while on the move.

Covers. The Leather cover with light looks nice, but it costs almost the same as the K4. Seems almost obscene to spend as much on a cover as on the device. I might be willing to do it if it works properly. The Amazon lighted cover for the K3 has the light at a 45 deg angle from right and above, this doesn't cover the last few lines as well as I'd want. I often need to enlarge the font to make sure I can read those lines. How is the cover for the K4?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
in order to connect your kindle by wifi to a smartphone, the phone's wifi needs to support infrastructure mode, so it depends which phone you have. googling the name of your phone and wifi infrastructure mode might give you some idea, i think some phones need to be hacked to support it but some might work as is, and some can't do it at all.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, if I can connect my K3 I assume the K4 will work as well.

At any rate, I'm going to wait a little while and see if Amazon will announce any new models soon. If those aren't interesting enough, I assume that the older models will have some kind of price reduction. This isn't an urgent purchase, but more for backup purposes.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
At any rate, I'm going to wait a little while and see if Amazon will announce any new models soon. If those aren't interesting enough, I assume that the older models will have some kind of price reduction. This isn't an urgent purchase, but more for backup purposes.
I'm thinking that Amazon will keep the K4 when they introduce the next generation Kindles; and they'll be priced at $49.

This past April, Walmart was selling new K4's for $49 (31 GBP/ 40 EUR). It's now my preferred ereader and my K3 is now a backup.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

SO with a mail-in coupon?
The SO doesn't go on export, I'm stuck with the basic model. Do you have the lighted cover? Does the light cover the whole screen?
Right now that set is $170 which is perhaps at the high end of what I'm willing to part with.
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
SO with a mail-in coupon?
The SO doesn't go on export, I'm stuck with the basic model. Do you have the lighted cover? Does the light cover the whole screen?
Right now that set is $170 which is perhaps at the high end of what I'm willing to part with.
It was a K4 SO and the sale was - pay full price ($79) and get a free $30 gift card immediately. I then used the gift card to buy groceries.

I don't have a lighted cover. I use a lamp.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
I have the Lighted cover for the K4 SO. It has a tiny light that swings out from the top center and it runs on the K4's battery power. Small thing, but it covers the whole screen pretty well, better I think than the 45 degree angle pull-out one on my K3 WiFi/3G. Overall I like it.

Like TubeMonkey, the K4 SO is my preferred e-reader over the K3. Because it seems so much lighter and smaller than the K3. Actually it is only a few ounces difference, but it does make a difference if you read for long periods.

I can't say about tethering it to your phone there, but I have a mobile hotspot on my Droid X phone and the K4 catches it just fine.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Sounds like I have it covered. My only peeve is the price for the cover, compared to a K4 SO it's some 85% of the price. To me a cover should be 30 - 35% of the device. I will perhaps take a look at M-Edge and some othe places. I put in a bid on Tradera (Swedish eBay), so far it is the highest bid.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Soo, I got my K4 today. Amazingly light to hold, but the cover is a more plastic feel than I expected, and actually heavier. Also, it is a lot harder to get the K4 out of the cover than getting it in. The light seems to do a nice job even if the beam is concentrated on a small area in the middle from the second or third line of text.

I registered this one with Amazon UK, now I just have to figure out if I can move some of my gift card balance to from the US account to the new UK account.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Soo, I got my K4 today. Amazingly light to hold, but the cover is a more plastic feel than I expected, and actually heavier.
You'll like your K4. I like mine better than my K3.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Soo, I got my K4 today. Amazingly light to hold, but the cover is a more plastic feel than I expected, and actually heavier. Also, it is a lot harder to get the K4 out of the cover than getting it in. The light seems to do a nice job even if the beam is concentrated on a small area in the middle from the second or third line of text.

I registered this one with Amazon UK, now I just have to figure out if I can move some of my gift card balance to from the US account to the new UK account.
Congrats! I read on my Everyday. I use a Marware Eco-Flip cover on mine. My only problem is sometimes the K4 freezes up for no reason but this a very rare problem for me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote