Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7", Kobo Aura
e-book applications

I purchased a Sony 650 & it will be delivered Tues. I have not owned a reader prior to this; so, question.

Do I need to load specific site (Border's, local library, Barnes & Noble, etc) applications to my computer to then load books onto the reader? It appears that ePub may be the best format. Thanks.
travelingsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Miss Understood
Enthusiast
Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook, Sony PRS-350 (pink!); IPad2
You can use most sites that sell epubs for your Sony reader, however Barnes & Nobles uses their own DRM that is not compatible with the Sony readers. If you want to be able to read ebooks from B&N you will have to remove the DRM from your purchases.

Regarding the applications, Sony has it's own library application and to use library books you will need Adobe Digital Editions on your computer. That being said, I don't use the Sony software at all, I use Calibre to manage my library and put books on my reader.

Last edited by Miss Understood; 05-01-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Miss Understood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I believe that if you are running Windows OS, you need to have the Sony software installed for ADE books, but need not use it.

EPUB is preferred, although you should be able to read PDF books as well - those lose their nice formatting at larger sizes is all.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:58 AM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can download library books with the Sony Reader Library, no need for Adobe Digital Editions.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 AM   #5
Kiwiscott
eReader Noob
Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Kiwiscott is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS 300, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Kobo Mini
I will second the vote for Calibre useage, its been a year and I still havent installed the Sony software.
Calibre is perfect for transfering files to the reader.
Kiwiscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Do I understand correctly that I do not need to download ADE onto my computer to obtain library books? They will load into the Sony software?

Also, will library books download directly into Calibre & not need ADE?

Sorry for all of the questions; but, soooo new & green to this. I will be purchasing books from Sony & Border's, etc now that I have the reader. But, I have used the local public library also.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, I use the Sony software to transfer books to my ereader. When you download and install the Sony software it will create an Adobe ID for you too. You can use it to transfer library books or even other DRM'ed books from sites like Borders or Kobo. You can go ahead and install the software now and test it out to get things set-up before your new ereader arrives.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Thank you everyone for your assistance. Bookworm girl thank you for your tips, I will install the Sony software as suggested & get it set up. I changed my mind on the ereader & had Sony send a 950; whats a little more money spent when you enjoy reading.