Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #18106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I finished "Parker Pyne Investigates" last night. This was Agatha Christie's 22nd book, and was originally published in 1934. It's a collection of short stories, featuring the eponymous Mr Parker Pyne, who runs an agency promising to make people happy. Some excellent stories in this one, with very ingenious plots.

One interesting aspect of this book is that it introduces (in very minor roles) two people who will become prominent in later Christie books: the novelist Ariadne Oliver, and Miss Lemon, who in this book is Parker Pyne's secretary, but who subsequently becomes Hercule Poirot's secretary.

A good short story collection which is well worth reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #18107
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Just finished Mrs. Mike by Ben and Nancy Freedman; I couldn't go to bed until I had finished it. I don't know how I would describe it other than I want to say powerful. The life and culture are true to what I have read of the time period in other stories. I liked that the story didn't have copious details, but told the story as relating facts to those familiar with that life and time period. I'm terrible at explaining it all, but this is definitely a book I would recommend.
Spoiler:
'Mrs. Mike' is a love story, a true story; the story of Katherine Mary O’Fallon, a sixteen year-old Irish girl from Boston, and Sergeant Mike Flannigan of the Canadian Mounted Police who meet at her uncle’s ranch in Alberta, Canada where she is sent to recover from pleurisy. They meet, they court, they marry and, following Mike’s orders, move to Hudson’s Hope far into the interior of Alberta.
But it is more than a love story between two people: it is also a love story of the land and animals, of the beavers and the ice, the northern lights and the fires, of whooping cough and whiskey running. It is a love story of the First Peoples and their struggles, the immigrants and their hopes and all the people who came and went through Mike and Kathy’s lives.

Still free at Amazon and I was made aware of the book from the Deals forum post by mitford13.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #18108
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
The next one that I enjoyed reading was The Blood Gospel (The Order of the Sanguines 01) by James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell. "The unlikely trio of a military forensic expert, a Vatican priest, and archaeologist come together when an earthquake in Israel uncovers buried tomb, including a missing book rumored to have been written by Christ's own hand" My son loaned this to me, but, after starting the pback, I really wanted it on my Kfire. So, I found it at my library and downloaded it. My son didn't like it and, since we enjoy a lot of the same books, I was afraid I wouldn't like it. I loved it and look forward to what happens in the second book. Sergeant Stone from the City of Screams by James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell is in this book.
I've read Blood Gospel too this year and also loved it. A couple of weeks ago Blood Brothers, a short story, was released.

I just finished The Secrets of Pain (#11 Merrily Watkins) by Phil Rickman. Another great story, though not much to do with Merrily's job as the Hereford Deliverance vicar. Having tied up several story lines in the last couple of books, I feel that Rickman is starting several new ones in this book.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #18109
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Currently reading The Atlantis Gene by A.G. Riddle.

Quote:
THE ATLANTIS GENE is a thought-provoking technothriller about global genetic experiments, ancient conspiracies, and the mysteries of human evolution. Its complex characters and historical and scientific details will stay with you long after you finish. This fast-paced adventure is the first book in A.G. Riddle's Origin Mystery Series.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #18110
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Happily in the middle of "Ten Word Game," one of Jonathan Gash's 'Lovejoy' series. I find the book Lovejoy character just as enjoyable as the TV series character, and so I'm having a delightful time reading!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #18111
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
F&SF November/December 2013 edited by Gordon van Gelder.

F&SF has a tendency to publish 'literary' fantasy, which I dislike. but not in this issue, so far.
A good issue, as least as far as the fiction goes. I confess I tend to skip the book and film review sections.

Next up: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. Bought early last month using a Kobo coupon for $1.59 or so.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #18112
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished The Last Testament: A Memoir by God (Author) with David Javerbaum (Author, Contributor). Since there are no quotations I could list and no summary I could give outside of the opt-in Politics and Religion section that would do justice to this hilarious book, I'll simply provide the Kindle link and let you good folks read the Amazon write-up for yourselves.

David Javerbaum, who is listed on the credits as co-author and contributor along with God, is the former head writer and executive producer of 'The Daily Show With Jon Stewart,' which, if you've ever seen the show, should tell you something about the tenor of this work.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #18113
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. Bought early last month using a Kobo coupon for $1.59 or so.
Wow. That was very good. Defintely a good buy! Recommended.

Next: One from the October 2013 Baen Bundle, Phoenix Rising by Ryk Spoor

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-11-2013 at 07:37 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #18114
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Currently reading The Atlantis Gene by A.G. Riddle.
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this. It has a ton of reviews on Amazon (over 2,000) and I've never heard of the author. The book is free to Amazon Prime members so I may give it a shot eventually as well.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #18115
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this. It has a ton of reviews on Amazon (over 2,000) and I've never heard of the author. The book is free to Amazon Prime members so I may give it a shot eventually as well.
I had a change of mind. I decided to read The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey instead. I might read The Atlantis Gene next.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #18116
BookGyrlinMO
Connoisseur
BookGyrlinMO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I had a change of mind. I decided to read The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey instead. I might read The Atlantis Gene next.
I quite enjoyed The Snow Child, hope you do too.

I finished "The Lost Wife" last night. Will be starting "You are One of Them" today.

BookGyrlinMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #18117
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGyrlinMO View Post
I quite enjoyed The Snow Child, hope you do too.
Thank you! It's really good so far. Love the sense of mystery in the story and the way the author describes things.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #18118
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Finished Kindred by Octavia Butler, as recommended in this thread. I only realised at the end that it was written in 1979 - it still feels very contemporary. Really enjoyed the story (despite the sometimes harrowing subject matter) and gave it 5 stars on Goodreads.

Now reading Crashed by Timothy Hallinan, a Junior Bender mystery. Fun story about a career burglar for whom things do not always go to plan. Reminds me quite a lot of the Bernie Rhodenbarr stories by Robert Block.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #18119
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool my annual re-read

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
... Next, I'm going back to my annual re-read (I paused this re-read a while back so it would end a little closer to the Publication date of Book #15, Skin Game) of Jim Butcher's, The Dresden Files. with Changes (The Dresden Files #12)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
My re-read of Changes was just plain awesome! I've skipped all the associated short stories during this re-read, So I've decided to add them here toward the end of the re-read. There are 7 short stories that I'm aware of that haven't yet made it into a Dresden Files collection including one which hasn't yet been published anywhere. And then there's Side Jobs (Stories From the Dresden Files) which I'm reading next.
After reading Side Jobs I next read the 7 short stories published in assorted anthologies that I'd mentioned above including the one which hasn't actually been published yet anywhere, but since there's an excerpt available I've included that excerpt in this re-reading. Now on to Ghost Story!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #18120
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
But first, a diversion to read Shadow of Saganami, the first book in the Saganami side-line of the Honorverse. I really needed to read this before I went any further in the mainline story. Much better to read about all the events in the Talbot cluster and then come back to Honor.

Meanwhile, when I want a break from the Honorverse, I've been reading the new Jack Frost mysteries. And enjoying them a lot.
Well, that diversion certainly took longer than I'd planned. But it was a good read, and definitely better than the last couple of mainline Honor books. Now, back to War of Honor. And some Alice Munro short stories I managed to check out of the BC Library site.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote