Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Daanish87
Daanish87 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony 600 has become super slow

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my old PRS600. It has become super slow in general and especially when highlighting and writing notes, sometimes taking more than a minute for notes to process and display. I mailed sony and they say it's because I charged my reader for too long.

Has anyone else had this issue? How did you solve it? I haven't tried a hard reset yet will that work?

Thanks!
Daanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Try a hard reset. If that doesn't work, back up all your books and notes etc and reformat the memory. In future, using an SD card instead of main memory may speed things up.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Try a hard reset. If that doesn't work, back up all your books and notes etc and reformat the memory. In future, using an SD card instead of main memory may speed things up.
Why would an SD-Card speed things up?
Whenever I had books on a memory card, all book operations (menus, page turning, etc.) became slower.

I'd rather try the "get all content off the reader" route to clear out memory first. Speed of the reader greatly depends on how much stuff (books) you have on the reader.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Forget the charged too long... how many notes do you have, there's a known issue with slowdown as the quantity of notes increases...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daanish87 View Post
I'm having an issue with my old PRS600. It has become super slow in general and especially when highlighting and writing notes, sometimes taking more than a minute for notes to process and display. I mailed sony and they say it's because I charged my reader for too long.

Has anyone else had this issue? How did you solve it? I haven't tried a hard reset yet will that work?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Daanish87
Daanish87 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey everyone I ended up hard resetting it which wiped everything out. I couldnt even back everything up because sony library wasn't allowing me to transfer i.e. I would transfer the book from the reader to the library and in the status it would complete and show 0 of 1 files transferred. It was pretty annoying, I found a folder that I though had the notes stored (with .annot extension). I saved that and tried copying it back after hard reset but apparently thats not how it works.

It's back to its old speed now. I'll definitely backup my notes more regularly now. On another note (pun not intended!), is there any way to save the notes on my comp aside from transferring to sony library?
Daanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Yes, the program is called PRS Note Reader.
you can copy the files from a hidden folder on the PRS600..

just a thought, but i'd try and make a winhex image in case the files are recoverable...

-A
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote