Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
sailorman
sailorman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Cool Screen fades in sunlight

I also experienced the screen fading (right side only) in direct sunlight. I called CS and they indicated they would get back to me but fired out a new unit the same day. The new K2 works fine and like others seems to have better contrast. Just out of currosity I measured the temp (IR) of the Kindle (both) while in direct sunlight and it was 95 deg or more which is right at the upper limit of the operating range. I have not had any fade on the New Kindle regardless of temp, even when I have left it laying in direct sunlight.

Last edited by sailorman; 03-14-2009 at 06:23 PM.
sailorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I just talked to Aria in Kindle CS and did you guys know it's the users causing the problem. They've "researched the problem" and when this happens it's screen damage from people holding the Kindle by the screen and breaking it or damaging it by trying to use a stylus on it. So apparently the sun problem is now imaginary. I'm sure this is just her not understanding the actual issue because when I asked how the screen could go back to normal after being out of the sun if it was broken she didn't know what to say.

Anyway, mine has a slight problem like this (nothing like the OP's) and I'd have actually been fine keeping it, but mine's being replaced because the longest the battery will hold a charge is about 36 hours with Whispernet turned off. I hope the new one doesn't have a big case of this "non existent" screen problem.

All in all I do have to say that my experience with CS was nothing but pleasant though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I just talked to Aria in Kindle CS and did you guys know it's the users causing the problem. They've "researched the problem" and when this happens it's screen damage from people holding the Kindle by the screen and breaking it or damaging it by trying to use a stylus on it. So apparently the sun problem is now imaginary. I'm sure this is just her not understanding the actual issue because when I asked how the screen could go back to normal after being out of the sun if it was broken she didn't know what to say.
Maybe she was just joking with you. I hope she was just joking with you.

What's with the stylus?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Maybe she was just joking with you. I hope she was just joking with you.

What's with the stylus?

She got pretty serious about it so I don't think she was joking.

As to the stylus she said some people thought they could use a stylus on it like with their PDAs even though it doesn't come with one. Having worked doing PC support years ago I can see this actually happening.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #20
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have a kindle 1, and it works at -20F. And in direct sunlight. Now if I just didn't hate Amazon . .
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #21
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Checked the new Kindle 2; sunlight doesn't appear to be a problem. But I'm glad I knew this could be an issue, so thanks much to the original poster and those who responded!
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #22
Starhawk
Enthusiast
Starhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2; Amazon 1 (returned in ancticipation of 2)
How quickly does this happen? 10 seconds in direct sunlight? 20 seconds? 2 minutes? 20 minutes?

Also, since we've mentioned "direct sunshine", does that mean the sunshine does need to be literally direct? Sunshine through a window does not cause this reaction?

I just want to make sure that I have all the info I need to verify whether a Kindle 2 does or does not have this problem...

Thanks!
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #23
MatthewH
MatthewH began at the beginning.

My Kindle 2 had this same issue. I didn't even realize it until an airplane flight last week where I happened to be by a window. Basically whenever I would refresh the screen (page forward, page back, alt G) with bright sunlight hitting it the newly drawn ink would be mostly faded. This happened immediately on refresh.

I called Kindle Support and they overnighted another unit out to me with no hassle. Now I just have to transfer over my Baen books that aren't attached to my Amazon account.
MatthewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #24
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
How quickly does this happen? 10 seconds in direct sunlight? 20 seconds? 2 minutes? 20 minutes?
It happens as soon as you hit the next page button. The new page text will be "washed out".

Quote:
Also, since we've mentioned "direct sunshine", does that mean the sunshine does need to be literally direct? Sunshine through a window does not cause this reaction?
Through the window is fine; the important thing is to be *in* the bright "shaft of light". If you are worried it's still not bright enough then go outside. My intuition tells me that it's a UV-light issue.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

I just want to make sure that I have all the info I need to verify whether a Kindle 2 does or does not have this problem...

Thanks!
This thread, says it happens right away. I was reading in direct sunlight for an hour yesterday out near the beach and had no fading problems. I've also tested mine by just leaving it in direct sunlight until it goes to sleep with no fading.

So it seems, if you have the fading issue, it's really noticeable and immediate. If you don't, you'll see no fading at all. In fact, the Kindle will look its best in direct sun.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #26
sailorman
sailorman began at the beginning.

Cool Kindle2 Sun fade followup

When my K2 experienced the sun fade it was it was with the sun to my back shining on the page I was reading. It was immediate, right side only, within seconds but the print contrast would restore when taken out of the direct sunlight and the page was changed or restored.

The new K2 they sent me has worked flawlessly. I use it daily, in the morning outdoors often in direct sunlight with no problems.
sailorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kindle 2, sunlight, text fading.