Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Format for an omnibus?

I am about to release a special edition of my first for books with bonus materiel as a single unit. I believe this is called an "omnibus" edition? Anyways... can anyone recommend what seems to be a good structure? I was thinking..

Introduction page
<title page>
<cover of book 1>
<book 1>
<title page>
<cover of book 2>
<book 2>
<title page>
<cover of book 3>
<book 3>
<title page>
<cover of book 4>
<book 4>
<title page>
<bonus materiel 1>
<title page>
<bonus materiel 2>

I someone were to buy all 4 separately it would cost (free+2.99*3) roughly $9, so I was planing to ask $7.99 for the omnibus. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sounds good, though I wonder if a lot of people will see the $1 saved as worth the difference. It sounds more of a savings at $7.00 I would think which would be $2.33 a piece for the 3 + the free one. Then a person thinks "I'm only saving .33 per book, but it is 3 books I'm getting." instead of "I will only save $1.00 by buying the omnibus," (at the 7.99 vs. 7.00 price). Just how I see the difference in pricing. Good luck with the omnibus.

Last edited by crich70; 03-30-2013 at 09:11 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I always think a dollar saved is a dollar earned, and i always prefer omnibusses over single books, when it comes to ebooks, so 7.99$ sounds good to me.

Regarding the setup, I would probably swap title and cover for each book? The cover is the first thing you see on a book, so I would expect that first.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Regarding the setup, I would probably swap title and cover for each book? The cover is the first thing you see on a book, so I would expect that first.
I was thinking for the "Title Page" something like

The Cool Book Title
Released Easter of 33 A.D.

This book was really fun to write as I learned about stuff and applied that stuff. There there was this other stuff that came out of it and that guy did this thing that cause all this other stuff to happen. And so on.

As in a quick blurb about the writing of the book itself instead of a traditional copy right/title page.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I'd include a short preface- maybe half a page to a page- before each story. Just a few notes on what you were thinking about when you wrote it, any unexpected reactions to it, that sort of thing.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Oh yeah, or commenta after each book. And a bigger commentary at the end of the omnibus. I love reading that stuff.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I'd include a short preface- maybe half a page to a page- before each story. Just a few notes on what you were thinking about when you wrote it, any unexpected reactions to it, that sort of thing.
I am including a short blurb before each story like that and then a "FAQ" style section at the end. (plus a novella that provides additional information to the series)
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I am including a short blurb before each story like that and then a "FAQ" style section at the end. (plus a novella that provides additional information to the series)
Sounds good. Issac Asimov did something similar in his collected "Black Widower" tales. That is he included some stuff about each story in the book at the end of each story. Makes for interesting reading.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
Steve Vernon
Connoisseur
Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Vernon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm just putting together my own omnibus collection.

One thing I'd DEFINITELY recommend is a short teaser for the NEXT book of the series - if indeed you intend to have a next book.

Never hurts to waggle that bait.
Steve Vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard

I have 2 books in the series that I am working on. Started as one but decided to split the story in two... so I could put a teaser in. Hmmmm.