Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
mhikl
Enthusiast
mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod touch
Sigil on Lion So Slow

I upgraded to Lion (OS X 7) and Sigil is suddenly painfully slow. I persevered but then Sigil crashed and I lost all my work. I closed all other apps but that hadn't helped so I shut down and then restarted the computer. Sigil was the only app open but it was still slow, though didn't seem quite as slow as previously but then the crash happened.

Curious if anyone else is having this problem. I have only 2.5 MB SDRAM and 4 is recommended but my MacBook (2.16) can't take 4.

On the positive, the improvements in Sigil (speed previously on Snow Leopard), stability and operations are commendable and Sigil had become very smooth to work with.

Cheers,
mhikl
mhikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I'm on Lion and was just using Sigil 0.3.4 to clean up the table of contents in some e-books and didn't notice a speed difference. I do have 4GB of RAM.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Output from building Sigil on Lion:

Quote:
/Users/john/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/473/gcc/include/QtCore/qglobal.h:320:6: warning: #warning "This version of Mac OS X is unsupported"
Until Qt gets an update for Lion any issues with Sigil on Lion can't really be fixed...
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

I am using Lion and Sigil 4.0 RC works jut fine. You can still build with QT 4.7.3 but you must point to the 10.6 SDK .

So I think your slowness issue must be machine specific.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@KevinH, Is there anything special you did to modify the build system for Lion? I can't get it to build at all on Lion.
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,

I downloaded XCode 4.1 dev tools from the app store (now free) but you must actually run the InstallXCode app manually.

I just pointed the dev tools to use the 10.6 SDK but it was not a build from scratch.

I will try a full build from scratch and look to see what is up.

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 07-23-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi user_none,

Here is my current build process on Lion for Sigil-0.4.0RC1

Build Instructions on Mac OS X Lion
Using CMake and Command Line Tools and not XCode Dev Environment
(Unfortunately I only use command line tools and don't know Xcode dev env at all).

1. download and install the latest Developer Tools from the Mac App Store
(XCode Version 4.1) - Note the Appstore actually give you an InstallXcode.app in
/Applications after download that you must run manually to do the actual install.

2. download and install CMake 2.8-5 from cmake.org (you do need the latest)

3. download and install qt libs/ide opensource for mac 4.73 (you do not need the entire 1 gig SDK unless you want it) from qt.nokia.com

4. in a new directory do the following:

unzip Sigil-0.4.0RC1-Code.zip
mkdir build

5. Unless you have done a special install with XCode you must build with the 10.6.sdk
which you can do by editing Sigil-0.4.0-Code/CMakeList.txt and making the following changes:

--- CMakeLists.txt~ 2011-04-22 10:18:00.000000000 -0400
+++ CMakeLists.txt 2011-07-23 14:29:03.000000000 -0400
@@ -41,12 +41,12 @@
endif()

# We need this to make sure g++ and the linker
-# create exes that can run on 10.5+
-set( CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET "10.5" )
+# create exes that can run on 10.6+
+set( CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET "10.6" )

-# Build fails with the 10.4 SDK, so we'll just have to use
-# the 10.5 one and hope for the best.
-set( CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT "/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk" )
+# Build fails with the 10.5 SDK, so we'll just have to use
+# the 10.6 one and hope for the best.
+set( CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT "/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" )

# Universal builds for mac
set( CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES "i386;x86_64" )

6. Then do the following:

cd build
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUIlD_TYPE=Release ../Sigil-0.4.0-Code/

and when it completes simply type

make

and cmake takes over and you can watch the progress of your build.

The build completed just fine. You will find the just built Sigil.app in the bin/ subdirectory created in your build directory.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-23-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 07-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The build completed just fine. You will find the just built Sigil.app in the bin/ subdirectory created in your build directory.
I guess I'm going to have to play with it some. I'm getting linker errors and missing vtable entries ... Some days I regret moving from Linux to OS X.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I guess I'm going to have to play with it some. I'm getting linker errors and missing vtable entries ... Some days I regret moving from Linux to OS X.
Hi,

You are probably building the latest trunk checkout whereas I just bult the Sigil 0.4.0 RC1 from the zip source archive you can download from the Sigil site.

You might want to try with that same source zip just to verify that your tool chain is working properly.

Take Care,

Kevin
Old 07-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
user_none

Thanks for your help Kevin. I was able to get it to build properly. I was using the Qt SDK because of the updater app. Once I removed it and installed the standalone Qt package the build succeeded.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
dreamwolf
dreamwolf began at the beginning.

Device: none
Red face RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post
I upgraded to Lion (OS X 7) and Sigil is suddenly painfully slow. I persevered but then Sigil crashed and I lost all my work. I closed all other apps but that hadn't helped so I shut down and then restarted the computer. Sigil was the only app open but it was still slow, though didn't seem quite as slow as previously but then the crash happened.

Curious if anyone else is having this problem. I have only 2.5 MB SDRAM and 4 is recommended but my MacBook (2.16) can't take 4.

On the positive, the improvements in Sigil (speed previously on Snow Leopard), stability and operations are commendable and Sigil had become very smooth to work with.

Cheers,
mhikl

DREAMWOLF RESPONSE: You have 2.5 MB SDRAM. LION is has so much current memory just waiting for responses from it's new swipe features. I would highly recommend upgrading to a machine using 4GB minimum for comfort for the next 4 years in my opinion. From what I've read in the currents, 2GB should be the bare minimum for any laptop. Good luck if you should decide to upgrade, it will be worth it!

Last edited by dreamwolf; 07-24-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: TYPO
dreamwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple os 7, lion os, slow, speed