Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
dorkmania
dorkmania began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo touch or Eco-reader or Kindle?

So I'm looking to buy an e-reader as I have way too many paperbacks and not enough space to put them.

I've done a bit of research and I've narrowed my choices down to the Kobo touch, the Eco-reader or the Kindle.

The main reason why I am hesitant to get a Kindle is because I've read reviews of them freezing/dying etc and I live in Australia so sending one back to get repaired would be a bit of a hassle and expensive.

I'm considering the eco-reader because it's Australian, however, it seems a bit pricey. I haven't read any bad reviews of it yet.

I'm also thinking of ordering the Kobo touch from the Borders US site as I've read about others doing the same.

I'm ONLY going to be reading books on it. I don't care if it has wifi or can connect to the internet. I would like to buy from a company that has good customer service/support if the e-reader breaks/freezes/battery dies. I would prefer that the cost would be under $200 (the Sony is out of my price range).

Please help me decide
dorkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Are you planning on using a library to source your books? I have an Eco eclipse which I love but it's not compatible with Overdrive which seems to be used by most libraries. Don't ask me why, but it's on the Overdrive list of incompatible devices. If I were a bit more clued up I could maybe get around it but I've I've ordered a Sony. The Kobo looks good too but I've had no reply to an email I sent them a week ago so dunno what their service is like. If you're not going to borrow from libraries then I can recomemnd the Eco reader or eclipse as a very good basic reader. I had the eco reader first but gave it to my mother and got an eclipse because of the smaller size.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkmania View Post
The main reason why I am hesitant to get a Kindle is because I've read reviews of them freezing/dying etc and I live in Australia so sending one back to get repaired would be a bit of a hassle and expensive.
Honestly, the only times I've seen current generation Kindles "freezing" is when the battery is allowed to go dead. And overnight charging fixes that quite nicely.

Quote:
I would like to buy from a company that has good customer service/support if the e-reader breaks/freezes/battery dies.
Amazon's Kindle Customer Server is second to none. Seriously, they appear to go above and beyond for folks. And this is true wherever you are, not just in the US.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
I think that sent your kindle back to USA to get repaired is not going to cost you any money. Amazon pays shipping charges. Besides, Amazon Costumer Service is simply the best. If you have a problem with the screen, usually the companies don't consider that kind of problem is covered under the warranty, but Amazon does, and changes your device for another one totally free.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 07-07-2011 at 11:11 PM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote