Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
BarryR
Connoisseur
BarryR doesn't litterBarryR doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Would like to dim the screen more

I'd like to be able to dim the screen below the lowest level on my rooted color Nook for reading in bed / not disturbing the wife (and it would be more comfortable on my eyes in a pitch black room).

Is there a simple app or other way to do this?
I noticed FB Reader does this, but I'd rather continue to use the stock reader and also would like to dim the screen for other apps.
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
You can use either
- AdjBrightness (Don't set the brightness less than 5 !)
- Screen Filter
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
BarryR
Connoisseur

Thanks. They both work fine and are just what I needed!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruangra View Post
You can use either
- AdjBrightness (Don't set the brightness less than 5 !)
- Screen Filter
This can't be emphasized enough. I stupidly tried the "2" setting. After a complete panic attack because I rendered my screen useless (so dark couldn't see anything), I got home later that day and tried stepping into a dark closet. Somehow I got enough brightness to get to a setting to fix it.

And then inexplicably I went and did the same thing the next day. Thankfully THAT time when the Nook "flashed" on I was able to see where I needed to tap the screen to get a higher setting.

So learn from my mistakes! I wish I had after the first time.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
BarryR
Connoisseur

True that:

I tried it on 4 and had no problem reading it in a very dim room.
I then (stupidly and despite the warning) tried 3 and the screen was almost black.

I was able to hold it up to a light and see enough to change it back up.
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Haha Curiosity almost killed the cat!

Seriously I like adjbrightness more than screen filter because both do what they sa, ie adjbrightness deals with the brightness and screen filter keeps brightness but puts some sort of transparancy mask in front of the screen to give the illusion of more darkness
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
BarryR
Connoisseur

I'm using AdjBrightness with BarControl and it's a great combination.