Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
A Jetbook or Jetbook Lite W/larger screen. Possible?

I like the simplicity of the Jetbook. I like the screen. I don't mind not having Wifi or 3g uploading via USB is fine.

I like all of the methods of control as they work fine for me.

So how hard would it be for ECTACO to make a larger screen model while keeping the form and function identical including the VGA reflective TFT screen?

Is there a limit with the screens?

I would like a screen with the following dimensions.

Length = 6.875 inches
Width= 5 inches

This would provide a screen size of 8.75" (measured diagonally)

The ratio would be at 1.375 (6.875 / 5) which is the same as a standard sheet of paper (11 / 8.5)

Anyway is this possible?
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
I don't know if it's possible. I believe the screen is manufactured by Toshiba if I'm not mistaken.

I would actually like to see an increase in the resolution of the screen. Maybe like the 600x800 that most readers are.
kolrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolrone View Post
I don't know if it's possible. I believe the screen is manufactured by Toshiba if I'm not mistaken.

I would actually like to see an increase in the resolution of the screen. Maybe like the 600x800 that most readers are.
640x480 on 5" screen looks the same as 600x800 on 6" screen
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
I'd still like the 5-inch form factor though just the higher resolution
kolrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
TFT Reflective Screens

There are TFT reflective color screens to 19 inch.

How bout a 7.5 inch 1200 x 900 dual mode TFT display. It is reflective AND it has led back lighting also so you can read in low light conditions. You can turn the back light on and off. This display is already made by Olpc.

They even have a 7.5 inch 1200x900 B&W reflective and when you turn the back lighting on it is COLOR!

This unit would kick the Ipad in the Butt.

Why not take two 5 inch jetbook displays and hinge them so they fold over to each other so you can still have the same size as the jetbook and yet it would fold and fit in your pocket. The CPU that is in the jetbook already would support two displays. You would just have a small seam that would be less than half a text line wide. The resolution would then be 640x960.

This is all with the same technology the jetbook is based on right now.

This is the first ebook that really uses the reflective TFT technology. If they sell large numbers of them I am sure you will see more with different size screens.

Last edited by gr8npwrfl; 01-30-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: spelling
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
There are TFT reflective color screens to 19 inch.

How bout a 7.5 inch 1200 x 900 dual mode TFT display. It is reflective AND it has led back lighting also so you can read in low light conditions. You can turn the back light on and off. This display is already made by Olpc.

They even have a 7.5 inch 1200x900 B&W reflective and when you turn the back lighting on it is COLOR!

This unit would kick the Ipad in the Butt.

Why not take two 5 inch jetbook displays and hinge them so they fold over to each other so you can still have the same size as the jetbook and yet it would fold and fit in your pocket. The CPU that is in the jetbook already would support two displays. You would just have a small seam that would be less than half a text line wide. The resolution would then be 640x960.

This is all with the same technology the jetbook is based on right now.

This is the first ebook that really uses the reflective TFT technology. If they sell large numbers of them I am sure you will see more with different size screens.

Some really good ideas I like it
Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
lhartfield
lhartfield began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook Lite
They are all good ideas but if any of them are implemented the jetBook Lite will no longer have a $150 list price. I am quite happy with what I got for the money I spent.
lhartfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
If the screen is enlarged, they'd probably need to upgrade the battery as well.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhartfield View Post
They are all good ideas but if any of them are implemented the jetBook Lite will no longer have a $150 list price. I am quite happy with what I got for the money I spent.
no doubt but they could offer both. I would pay more for a larger screen
Old 04-16-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
CraneTseng
CraneTseng began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite (Black), Pandigital Novel 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
And a stronger hand as well... Bigger (smarter) screen = more weight, harder to hold in one hand, more sensible to physical impacts.
Being above the age of 40, the smaller and simpler the better is my philosophy... With gadgets either
CraneTseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneTseng View Post
And a stronger hand as well... Bigger (smarter) screen = more weight, harder to hold in one hand, more sensible to physical impacts.
Being above the age of 40, the smaller and simpler the better is my philosophy... With gadgets either
I 100% agree. I like the real pocket size of my jetBook.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
That would also have to go in hand with a processor upgrade as well. Any news if the JB is going to upgraded soon? The JB has been out a while now and most ereaders released now are running 400mhz+ CPU. Be interesting to know if Ectaco have in the pipeline a new model in the mix for release.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
I'm not convinced that an increase in screen size to 6.875" will be of much benefit. At this size, we'll still not going to be able to properly read pdfs.

As for possible improvements:

I'll second the on/off backlight as I do a lot of reading at night in bed ... and that earlight peddled by etaco is the most useless invention ever.

I would like to see part of the back of the jetbook rubberized.

I would also like to see the mini-usb port outside of the plastic cover. Right now, I need to take the jetbook partially out of the travel case to remove the plastic cover to get to the mini-usb port for charging.
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post

I would like to see part of the back of the jetbook rubberized.

The rubber like material that you find in the handles of hand tools, can
be painted on many materials. You might even "Dip" the JB, as you
would a pair of pliers. They even sell it in spray cans.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #15
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
A bigger jetbook or jetbook lite would defeat the purpose of having an ereader, IMHO. Small size is good. It fits right in my pants pocket.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote