Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
Nate0072
Enthusiast
Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505 (Silver)
Question Protection for the 505

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good commercial case for the 505?
Nate0072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
In buying a case for the Sony reader, you have to consider how you want to transport it, your personal preference for appearance, budget, weight, need for exact fit or oversized holder, and the desired level of protection.

If you check through this forum, there are homemade cases from plastic DVD boxes, a tin box with foam liner, commercial padded leather and vinyl covers, zippered pouches, neoprene pouches with velcro, modified daytimer and planners. There is even a trifold cover from Sony that is sold in Europe that would cost big $$$ to send to the USA.

For my use, I have a hardshell cd box from Walmart (Vaultz brand) that holds the reader, power supply, and portable light. It is large but has a carrying strap and can really take a beating...
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Hi,

I just bought a Reader 505 in Germany and am thinking about giving it some protection.
The Sony Case with Light that runs a whopping 49€ looks nice, would be cool but does not really add any protection in my opinion.
I use a Medge case for my iLiad (I think they called it the book jacket but I don't think they have it anymore) and that really protects the device, however, the Medge Sony Reader cases don't look that interesting in my opinion.

Maybe I'll try and do my own...my idea would be:

Neroprene outer material
Padding on the inside and plenty of extra material around the edges
Carbon fibre plates for front and back stiffening
Magnetic clip for holding it closed
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
single650
single650 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
I have just purchased a "Tuff Love" case for my PRS 505 and am very pleased with it. It appears well made and fit very well.

Much nicer than the standard cover.
single650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Quote:
I have just purchased a "Tuff Love" case for my PRS 505 and am very pleased with it.
Do you have a link for the store you purchased from? I did a web search for "tuff love" but didn't find anything that looked like a potential 505 case.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
I think its called 'Tuff Luv'

I know I saw some on Ebay if that helps!
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
single650

I got mine from Amazon UK they have both black and Pink varieties.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
spirit_wolf
_^^~
spirit_wolf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505, PRS-600
CommanderROR, I like your case specs. What is it you don't like about the M-edge case for the PRS-505?

Single650, is the front cover of the Tuff-Luv case hard enough to protect the e-ink screen from things like accidentally leaning on the reader with an elbow or banging against a sharp object?
spirit_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
http://www.i-nique.com/store.asp/c=212

There are the cases for the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
single650

The front cover is padded and will provide some protection - it is quite stiff. I don't think it would protect against a heavy load on it however
Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
spirit_wolf
_^^~
spirit_wolf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by single650 View Post
The front cover is padded and will provide some protection - it is quite stiff. I don't think it would protect against a heavy load on it however
Thanks. This really looks like one of the best cases available. Have you seen this thread? < https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42908 > I asked a friend to send me one. Might provide a little more protection when carrying the reader in a backpack, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
http://www.i-nique.com/store.asp/c=212
There are the cases for the 505.
Cool. Also found them on Amazon.
spirit_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote