Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
mapex
mapex began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T2
Unhappy Financial Times recipe downloading slowly, empty pages

I have been using the Calibre recipe “Financial Times – UK printed edition” for months. It has worked flawlessly but today a problem appeared.

The download takes very long (7-12 minutes), possibly because it downloads in only one thread. Some articles are downloaded, others not at all. The final epub has far too few pages, and some pages are empty.

Can you help me fix this problem? I attach the faulty epub file and the download log that shows some errors.
Attached Files
File Type: epub 110624 Financial Times epub.epub (258.3 KB, 276 views)
File Type: txt 110624 FT download log.txt (106.5 KB, 236 views)
mapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:00 AM   #2
mapex

The author of the recipe was so kind to solve this issue. An updated recipe will be included in the next Calibre release.

It can also be downloaded here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/801655
Old 08-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
lucina
lucina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
There is some bug in the recipe, and some articles come empty.
For example
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/380d5...44feabdc0.html
This is an excerpt from the log.
Code:
Processing images...
Recursion limit reached. Skipping links in http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d226ec48-bd0f-11e0-bdb1-00144feabdc0.html
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d226ec48-bd0f-11e0-bdb1-00144feabdc0.html saved to /tmp/calibre_0.8.13_tmp_Enhk8N/SVlk4o_plumber/feed_5/article_1/d226ec48-bd0f-11e0-bdb1-00144feabdc0.xhtml
Downloading
Fetching http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/73c4fe86-bdbb-11e0-babc-00144feabdc0.html
Downloaded article: The hunting of the snark from http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/380d5122-bdb1-11e0-babc-00144feabdc0.html
Downloaded article: The rage of middle age from http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d226ec48-bd0f-11e0-bdb1-00144feabdc0.html
Processing images...
Recursion limit reached. Skipping links in http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/13e98b16-bdd0-11e0-babc-00144feabdc0.html
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/13e98b16-bdd0-11e0-babc-00144feabdc0.html saved to /tmp/calibre_0.8.13_tmp_Enhk8N/SVlk4o_plumber/feed_5/article_3/13e98b16-bdd0-11e0-babc-00144feabdc0.xhtml
Downloading
Fetching http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/6e46b4f6-b85a-11e0-8d23-00144feabdc0.html
Downloaded article: The List: Unusual things banned at rock gigs from http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/13e98b16-bdd0-11e0-babc-00144feabdc0.html
Processing images...
Recursion limit reached. Skipping links in http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/73c4fe86-bdbb-11e0-babc-00144feabdc0.html
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/73c4fe86-bdbb-11e0-babc-00144feabdc0.html saved to /tmp/calibre_0.8.13_tmp_Enhk8N/SVlk4o_plumber/feed_5/article_4/73c4fe86-bdbb-11e0-babc-00144feabdc0.xhtml
The failure to download is consistent. I tried it three times before bothering to post here, and the same articles were failing. In fact, most of the magazine section came empty today.
I cannot see any difference between the pages that are downloaded and those that are not.

Last edited by lucina; 08-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.
lucina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucina View Post
There is some bug in the recipe, and some articles come empty.

The failure to download is consistent. I tried it three times before bothering to post here, and the same articles were failing. In fact, most of the magazine section came empty today.
I cannot see any difference between the pages that are downloaded and those that are not.
I just tried downloading FT UK edition and it works OK. Are you talking about that recipe or the other one?
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
lucina

Yes, that is the recipe that is not behaving. I suspected my bandwidth is too low, and maybe it times out. But it is just too much of a coincidence that for the last 3-4 weekends it works perfectly on Lex articles and not at all on Magazine articles. Also, it fails daily to get the main Analysis article. (The one that fills page 5 on paper.)
Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucina View Post
Yes, that is the recipe that is not behaving. I suspected my bandwidth is too low, and maybe it times out. But it is just too much of a coincidence that for the last 3-4 weekends it works perfectly on Lex articles and not at all on Magazine articles. Also, it fails daily to get the main Analysis article. (The one that fills page 5 on paper.)
That kind of explanation is completely useless. I do not read FT in paper nor do I have an access to paper edition, hence how can I know which articles are missing?

If you want to treat this properly you need to tell me exactly what is missing:

For example: In edition from August 16 Calibre did not download these (put links to the articles)

Than I can actually do something about that.

Again I tested the download and all coment&analysis articles are being downloaded.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
lucina

I can't reproduce it today, as the Magazine is only published on weekends. I will update once the weekend edition is published.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
lucina

Here is a new one

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 58, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 181, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.py", line 937, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/conversion.py", line 204, in __call__
File "site-packages/calibre/web/feeds/input.py", line 101, in convert
File "site-packages/calibre/web/feeds/news.py", line 634, in __init__
File "/tmp/calibre_0.8.14_tmp_UHj4WF/WLfy14_recipes/recipe0.py", line 46, in get_browser
br.select_form(name='loginForm')
File "site-packages/mechanize/_mechanize.py", line 524, in select_form
FormNotFoundError: no form matching name 'loginForm'
Old 08-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
kiklop74
Guru

Fixed recipe can be found here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/829417

Will be included in the next release of Calibre.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 AM   #10
mapex

There is still a problem. On weekends, the FT has some additional sections: "Life & Arts" and "House & Home" and "FT Magazine". The newly updated FT recipe (as of August 20) does not download any text for the articles in these weekend sections. I attach the downloaded EPUB file and the Calibre download log. Your help is much appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Financial Times - UK printed edition [Sa - calibre.epub (934.0 KB, 235 views)
File Type: txt 110820_FT download log.txt (262.5 KB, 210 views)
Old 08-20-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
kiklop74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapex View Post
There is still a problem. On weekends, the FT has some additional sections: "Life & Arts" and "House & Home" and "FT Magazine". The newly updated FT recipe (as of August 20) does not download any text for the articles in these weekend sections. I attach the downloaded EPUB file and the Calibre download log. Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks for reporting this. I will take a look today.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
kiklop74
Guru

Finally managed to resolve all issues with this recipe. Updated version will be included in next release of Calibre. Meanwhile you can test the recipe from here

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/831695
Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
piet8stevens
piet8stevens began at the beginning.

FT Magazine no longer downloading for the last 2 weeks or so

Hi, I have been using the FT UK recipe for a year or so without problems. For the last 2 weeks, the additional sections are no longer being downloaded, again. It looks similar to what has been reported here before: the Life & Arts section is there on the FT web-site, but it is not in the .mobi file. My calibre version is 0.9.27. I downloaded your old bug fixes, but they generate an error when I try to run it from Calibre: (this is the "Details" from the last bugfix)
Fetch news from Financial Times - UK printed edition
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.9.27
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': 'original',
'chapter': None,
'chapter_mark': 'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': None,
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_compress': False,
'dont_download_recipe': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'embed_font_family': None,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'filter_css': None,
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x03D79170>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'lrf': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'mobi_file_type': 'old',
'mobi_ignore_margins': False,
'mobi_keep_original_images': False,
'mobi_toc_at_start': False,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_inline_navbars': True,
'no_inline_toc': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleOutput object at 0x03D794B0>,
'page_breaks_before': None,
'personal_doc': '[PDOC]',
'prefer_author_sort': False,
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': False,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': None,
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': '',
'search_replace': None,
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'share_not_sync': False,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': '',
'sr1_search': '',
'sr2_replace': '',
'sr2_search': '',
'sr3_replace': '',
'sr3_search': '',
'start_reading_at': None,
'subset_embedded_fonts': False,
'tags': None,
'test': False,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'toc_title': None,
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: Recipe Input running
Using custom recipe
Python function terminated unexpectedly
unbound method get_browser() must be called with BasicNewsRecipe instance as first argument (got nothing instead) (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 189, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1009, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 239, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\recipe_ input.py", line 113, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\news.py", line 869, in __init__
File "<string>", line 43, in get_browser
TypeError: unbound method get_browser() must be called with BasicNewsRecipe instance as first argument (got nothing instead)

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Piet
piet8stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
mapex

The problem is not the recipe but the redesigned FT.com. The recipe gets the links from http://www.ft.com/intl/uk-edition. The standard sections are up to date, but the weekend sections "Life & Arts" and "House & Home" are not displayed there. This has been an occasional problem even with the previous webdesign.

What you can do: email to help@ft.com. Report the missing weekend sections, but please do not mention Calibre (it would only confuse them). The more people complain, the faster the issue will be fixed.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
piet8stevens
piet8stevens began at the beginning.

FT weekend edition

Thank you for your fast reply.

I am confused: when I click on the link in your post, I get the UK edition and I do see the Life & Arts section. So, then, how do I report this to the FT?

Thanks,

Piet
piet8stevens is offline   Reply With Quote