Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Problem transferring books to new SD card

I have had my Nook for a little over a week, and am loving it. The only (major) complaint I have is the inability to organize the sideloaded books under "My Documents" into folders, to make it easier (quicker) to find what I'm looking for. Hopefully, that will be remedied in some future firmware upgrade.

But here is my problem: I have about 175 sideloaded books, that I have been storing on the internal memory. I just bought a 16GB microSD card, and want to transfer them all to the card. I inserted the card, copied the books (and added some music) to the card (just using Windows Explorer), and then unplugged the Nook. It said "Searching for New Content" for about 20 minutes, until I finally cancelled the process, then it showed no books present. So I took everything off the card, and tried again, this time loading about 20 books to the card through Calibre. Calibre shows the books as being present on the card, and when I view the Nook and card in Windows Explorer, it shows the books as present on the card. When I disconnect, it goes through the "Searching for New Content" routine, and again hangs up. The books never show up under "My Documents" - it just says "No items". The card is formatted Fat32. And when I look under "Settings" on the Nook, it shows the card present, and shows the correct amount of available memory. I tried removing the card, re-formatting it and re-installing it, and re-loading the books, with the same result.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there some type of directory or file structure requirements that I am not following?
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Okay; problem solved (although I don't really have any idea what was causing it). After another re-format, two more sideloads, a lot of cursing, two beers, and a hard reset, they showed up. Apparently, getting my Nook to do what I want it to is somewhat similar to getting my four year old to do what I want him to: it has to be in the mood to cooperate.

Thanks for your help. Well, nobody really had a chance to help...thanks for your interest...whatever...move along; nothing to see here.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Squeak
Squeak began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Just a thought, but when I side load new stuff onto my Nook with Calibre, I have to shut off my Nook and then turn it back on before the new stuff shows. Sometimes even the old stuff won't show up until I restart.

Hope this helps any future readers.

~Squeak~
Squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Hi folks!

Just got my Nook about 48 hours ago. Loving it so far!

I was having sideloding issues too. Nothing showing up when the Nook searched for new content. I realized that my microSD card was not being help firmly in place by the silver clip I flipped down over it in the back. Don't know if this is just mine, or if it is a reason to exchange it, but I finally got the card to remain seated and all my books were found.

Just my experience so far.
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I, too, was having problems sideloading certain ebooks to my nook. In my case, it had nothing to do with an SD card, as I'm only using the nook's built-in memory.

For me, the problem seemed to be with PDB books. I'm not sure why, as the nook is supposed to recognise eReader format, but any time I tried to transfer books to my nook, it would keep "Checking for New Content" indefinitely. But if I transfer the same books after converting them to EPUB, they would go over without a problem.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Chisaiyama
Curmudgeonus Maximus
Chisaiyama began at the beginning.

Device: Jet Book Lite, Nook, EB-1150, Axim X51v, Aluratek
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I, too, was having problems sideloading certain ebooks to my nook. In my case, it had nothing to do with an SD card, as I'm only using the nook's built-in memory.

For me, the problem seemed to be with PDB books. I'm not sure why, as the nook is supposed to recognise eReader format, but any time I tried to transfer books to my nook, it would keep "Checking for New Content" indefinitely. But if I transfer the same books after converting them to EPUB, they would go over without a problem.
I just bought my daughter a NOOK for her birthday and we have quite a collection of previously purchased .pdb books I wanted to load onto her unit and I was having the same problem. After a great deal of effort, time, expletives etc. I finally discovered that the problem was with the "unsecured" e.g. no DRM .pdb files. The DRMed .pdbs worked just fine but I had to convert the non-DRM pdbs to ePub also and then they worked just fine. But do you think they could put that into the manual somewhere? NO! I even took the unit to my local B&N store and the resident NOOK expert (he actuall seemed to be quite knowlegeable on the things) tried for an hour or so to get them to show up and they wouldn't.

I spent about 8 hours of trial and error before I finally hit on the proper solution. The fellow at B&N did at least turn me on to the Calibre software for which I shall be eternally grateful.
Chisaiyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Well, that makes the Nook a bit less attractive to anyone who has de-DRMed their Fictionwise and eReader collections... Good thing B&N isn't really marketing to the FW and eR customers.

Has anyone looked at the PDB-->EPUB files on the Nook? Some of the PDBs I've converted to EPUB look awful compared to their original source PDB.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote