Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #136
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I think they did a good job and hope it does well.

I can't tell if touching the screen is required for menu navigation, or if they did something clever with the page turn buttons having multiple roles for nav somehow. At this point touching the screen for any reason is a deal killer for me, but I'm just one consumer. I would be sorely disappointed if the next Kindle required touchscreen interaction. I don't mind it being there, so long as it's optional. If Amazon goes that route, I suppose I won't have a choice.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #137
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Yes, squat. Thank you whoever said that. That's what bugs me about it.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #138
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You are not taking into account the stand-by time. Two months of stand-by is going to have a large impact on the battery; if you read more than 30 minutes a day it will certainly last you less than 2 months, but it should give you more than 30 hours reading time, I reckon.
I was wondering about that but was thinking that maybe they're saving power better in standby than active use.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #139
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Does anyone know if the B&N stores are demo-ing these yet? OR do we have to wait until 6/10?
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #140
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow24 View Post
I thought they did say in the live chat that it was IR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It uses the same IR touch the Sony and Kobo use.
thanks much. they didnt put it in the specs that I can find
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #141
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
It does look strange. Perhaps there's a reason they didn't go with an elongated look. I want something that's comfy to hold for a long time. If it is, I'll be happy. I don't want to read with it in a cover. Maybe it offers a good balance with a light attached to the device. I'll need to bring one when I do a hands on.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #142
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I don't know looks like a regular reader to me. Kinda vanilla.

kinda like the device itself will "disappear" while reading , which is agood thing.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #143
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I'm sure you'll be all over the Nook threads posting five things in a row to tell them all about it.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #144
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I think I'm going to have to buy this. The Kobo was also tempting me, but this has the good of the Sony(touchscreen, public library access, thin and light, reads epubs and pdfs) and more(the wifi, larger screen, more accessories, expandable memory, larger store). My sister's been wanting a ebook reader and she says she'll buy my old (I swear it's only 5 months old and it's 'old')PRS-350 for $70 so I can buy this.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #145
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oh this looks pretty nice! Well done, B&N. Can't wait till August when I'll play with one (in the store).
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #146
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
meh. I don't think this adds to my current dilemma about which e-reader to buy. (which isn't a bad thing, actually). What I'm hoping it will do is drive prices down on the others I'm still debating on, and it has, at least with the other Nooks. Now I'll wait a bit to see what Amazon does....

I did find the new Kobo much more interesting than this.

The Tyrion Lannister of e-readers indeed, but then again, Tyrion is one of the shrewdest characters in the series.....
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #147
Dulin's Books
Wizard

there's video at engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/24/b...nces-new-nook/

when the BN person is asked "how did you do that" about how they manage to only do a full refresh every 6 pages the guy says something about "proprietary secrets"

what baloney. first the fact that the reporter doesnt know the difference between partial refresh and full refresh just annoys me. Second that htey try to claim some special secret sauce and dont get called on it int he vidoe is even more annoying.

LOTS of other eink devices allow a partial refresh. and the ones I know that do allow you to CHOOSE whether to full refresh or partial for varying number of pages between refreshes. Nook does it every 6 pages (no mention of choice) and they act like its a wonderful new thing.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #148
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Nook does it every 6 pages (no mention of choice) and they act like its a wonderful new thing.
Maybe they did perfect it in software in some way?
If not, then there had a better be force-refresh button, like Kindle's alt-G, because four or five pages worth of built-up eink ghosting would be far worse than a fraction of a second of flicker in my book.

Last edited by ApK; 05-24-2011 at 01:54 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #149
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I love my K3, but if I had to choose from what will be on offer shortly, it'd definitely be dismissed, even at KSO prices or less.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #150
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Based on looks alone, the Kobo is at the top so far.

Edit: I should say based on looks, basic specs, and pricing, I like Kobo best so far.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote