Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
tonyt
Enthusiast
tonyt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Upgrading MAC - Help!

Hi
I am currently using Mac OSX 10.8 on a G4 Power PC with Caliber 5.14.

Can anyone out there suggest the best way to find / transfer my library and ensure a painless upgrade?

Also - ADEditions - what should I do and ditto Sony Library?

Will I have to re-register my reader - HELP - very confused!

Any other ideas / suggestions / help?

Many thanks

Tony
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Calibre is hella easy. Save your ebook folder on a thumb drive and transfer it to the new computer. When you install Calibre on the new computer just tell it where you put them.
For the Sony and ADE, It is better to register the new computer first and then de-register the old one.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Hi
Mac OS X is only up to version 10.6, and it won't work on a PPC machine. I think you made a typo.

I've never had any problems with my books living though an ugrade or either Calibre or Mac OS X. But it wouldn't hurt to have a backup.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Hi

Can anyone out there suggest the best way to find / transfer my library and ensure a painless upgrade?
Tony,

What do you have now and what are you upgrading to? Are you just upgrading your OS, or are you getting a new machine?

You possibly have 10.4.8? Tiger?

Snow Leopard will not run on a Power PC, it requires an Intel Mac.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
tonyt
Enthusiast
tonyt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Oops!

Thanks for that. I am running 10.5.8 - NOT 10.8! I am getting a new iMac with 10.6.? I can find / save and move my library with no problem - THANKS rcuadro!
I am after info on what to do with my reader (Sony 505) / ADE and Sony Library on my old machine to de-register, and in what order.
I am also after info on what to do with my new machine regarding ADE / Sony Library and my reader to re-regster, and in what order.
The sad thing is I hardly ever buy protected epub books - just wanted Dan Brownes latest at half price from Waterstones UK. Can I ignore ADE and Sony library and just use Caliber - I guess it just depends on whether I can find the latest titles from aother source - or will they all be DRM'd and need ADE/Sony library?
Thanks for your patience and help!
Tony
tonyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You don't need ADE on the Mac - the latest version of the Sony eBook Library software has the ADE functionality built-in.

You will still need the Sony software if you want to buy DRM-protected books; Calibre can't handle them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks for that. I am running 10.5.8 - NOT 10.8! I am getting a new iMac with 10.6.? I can find / save and move my library with no problem - THANKS rcuadro!
Ok.. those new iMac's look sweet... you getting the 27 incher... if so I will be turning greed.

Quote:
I am after info on what to do with my reader (Sony 505) / ADE and Sony Library on my old machine to de-register, and in what order.
It doesn't really matter what order. Just log into your account on your old machine and go to my account, and devices and dergister that machine. You have to do it FROM that old machine... or you have to call support.

But, you don't have to de-register it before you add another machine. As long as you have less than 6 devices registered you will be fine with having both registered. I actually have both my home iMac and my work Windows machine registered to my Sony account.

Quote:
I am also after info on what to do with my new machine regarding ADE / Sony Library and my reader to re-regster, and in what order.
The sad thing is I hardly ever buy protected epub books - just wanted Dan Brownes latest at half price from Waterstones UK. Can I ignore ADE and Sony library and just use Caliber - I guess it just depends on whether I can find the latest titles from aother source - or will they all be DRM'd and need ADE/Sony library?
No, you will need either ADE or Sony library to buy DRMed ePubs. The problem is if you want to use ADE you still need to install Sony eLibrary to enable ADE to talk to your Sony. That said you can just use Finder to move the books to your Sony.

If you don't want to use ADE, and just want to be able to buy ePubs then I would say just install Sony library software and register it to your Sony and Adobe accounts.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote