Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
ancle or ankle?

I'm now working on Round the Sofa by Elizabeth Gaskell. The 1859 Sampson Low edition contains the text:

'her foot had slipped upon the polished oak staircase, and her ancle had been sprained.'

I've no idea whether this was Mrs Gaskell's choice, or the publisher's or typesetter's decision.

I've more or less decided to silently change 'ancle' to 'ankle', and would be most grateful for feedback on the reasoning behind this decision.

- I don't want to leave the text unchanged - it just doesn't look right to me, and it's possible that readers may see it as an uncorrected typo.

- I don't want to mark the change with a footnote for two reasons:
-- When I first became interested in designing ebooks for the MR Library four years or so ago I looked at how others had designed their ebooks, and am certain that it was quite common for designers to write something like 'typos have been silently corrected'. I thought and still think that's a good example to follow.
-- I haven't come across any example of an author putting a footnote in a later version pointing out changes they have made. If anyone has an example of an author doing that please let me know.

What do other designers and readers think?

In case it needs to be written: I don't claim for a second that the choice I intend to make has any authority, or that anyone else should be impelled to make the same design choice. It just makes sense to me.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't think typos in the original text are an important heritage that should be preserved.

As a reader, I vote to correct it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My quick searching shows that ancle is a British spelling of ankle.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
My quick searching shows that ancle is a British spelling of ankle.
I think you'll find it's 'archaic.' It's not in my Oxford Paperback Dictionary, and not found at www.oxforddictionaries.com. And I've never seen it before. If it is archaic I think my original decision is still valid.

Could you tell me please where you found it?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:39 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The OED for a start....

Its safe to say that at the time the book was written, and the edition you are using, ancle was an accepted spelling of ankle.

Unfortunately I'm currently unable to access my library's web site, so can't get back to the OED. Hopefully I'll be able to in the morning,

This link should work for the next 3 days.
http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/7823?p...N1z5ijg&d=7823

Last edited by PeterT; 07-23-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
This scan has "ankle", and it seems to be as old (1858) as others that have "ancle". There may be other spelling changes, though. A search for "ancle" in Google Books yields more than a few 19th century results.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Have a look at the Google Ngram viewer with ancle/ankle (a fascinating tool). The spelling with a "c" was more common up to about 1830, after which it went into terminal decline. Mrs Gaskell would have seen the older spelling frequently in her younger days.

Mind you, I'm surprised that Victorian authors were able to mention the word at all without blushing. Perhaps they were talking about horses?
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
Mind you, I'm surprised that Victorian authors were able to mention the word at all without blushing. Perhaps they were talking about horses?
In which case it would be spelled, F.E.T.L.O.C.K
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Have a look at the Google Ngram viewer with ancle/ankle (a fascinating tool).
WOW... Love that tool! Never seen it before!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Have a look at the Google Ngram viewer with ancle/ankle (a fascinating tool). The spelling with a "c" was more common up to about 1830, after which it went into terminal decline. Mrs Gaskell would have seen the older spelling frequently in her younger days.

Thanks so much for the reference to NGram viewer. That looks to be an interesting and useful tool for future use. Karma on its way.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
This scan has "ankle", and it seems to be as old (1858) as others that have "ancle". There may be other spelling changes, though. A search for "ancle" in Google Books yields more than a few 19th century results.
Thanks, Jellby, for the notion of searching in Google Books. I didn't know that was possible.

I accept that ancle is an old spelling for ankle. But my original post still stands, and I really would appreciate feedback on my rationale for silently changing from ancle to ankle rather than leaving it or changing it and putting a footnote.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would leave ancle since you now know that it's valid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Unless your goal is to duplicate that specific edition of the book IMO you're fine either way and it doesn't seem the kind of change that needs elaborate notation. You're not really changing the word and either spelling is accepted for the time period.

I say do what you want and don't stress too much over it (I think I know why you're asking the question).

As a reader who appreciates the work people put into nice editions of PD works I always appreciate it when changes are noted somewhere, either in the posting of the book or in the front/back matter, but I don't know if this change is significant enough to note separately or not.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, I'd rather the original spelling as that's what the author used. But if you do change it, there could be a major incident. I would think leaving the word alone would be much safer for you given what's already happened.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:04 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
My take would probably be:

a. If you find other old or strange spellings, leave this as "ancle", on the assumption that this is the original and it's not wrong.

b. Otherwise (or if there are other instances of "ankle"), change it to "ankle" without notice (unless you give a full, detailed list of changes), based on the existence of contemporary editions with this spelling, which may indicate that this was actually a typo and unintended by the author.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote