Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Paperwhite - I keep losing my place

My Paperwhite is nearly 3 weeks old. I have lost count of the times I have lost my place reading a book on it.

The screen is the best I have ever seen but I just cannot get on with the touch screen. My thumb just wanders over the screen and before I know it I am suddenly 30 or so pages further on. Confusion then ensues trying to find my place again.

The bezel is too narrow for me, my hands are not large, just average size for a female. I tried putting it in its case upside down which did help but then I was forever ensuring that I had indeed only turned one page instead of concentrating on the story.

I have now given up and will be sending it to my sister as a gift.

I went to Argos yesterday and purchased the Kobo ST Glowlight. As well as having a touch screen, it has page-turning buttons on both sides -- Yay!. The bezel is wider and is a whole lot easier for me to hold. The screen is not as beautiful as the Paperwhite but, to my eyes, the difference is small. I read my book last night without the worry of losing my place.

The software on the device is quite good. Navigation is not so ultra sensitive as that on the Paperwhite. It seems to work out the page numbers itself and shows them at the bottom of the screen which I prefer over side margin page numbers. Connecting the Glowlight to the PC I can easily copy my own books over to the device using Windows Explorer.

The thing I absolutely hate though is Barnes & Noble's Desktop Software for the PC. Compared to Kindle for PC it is clunky and exasperating. You cannot associate the ePub file extension with it which means you can't double-click an epub file to open it in the app. You have to start the Nook PC app, then go to My Library/My Stuff and then click on the ADD New Item button, find your file and select OPEN. What a palaver!

When I first tried to register on their their PC app I was told my email address was already registered. I already knew that and persisted in entering my email address and password but it would not accept it. I turned to Google for help and learned that the B&N database is corrupted and the solution was to create a new account. This I did using the same email address and password as before and, lo and behold, it accepted it. Needless to say, I haven't tried purchasing any books from Barnes & Noble's store as yet.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry to hear that you couldn't get on with it. I find that the bottom bezel is wide enough to comfortably rest my thumb on. I just move my thumb up a little to turn the page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Did you try using the Back button? You would have to tap the top of the screen then tap the Back button, but I think that will take you back to where you were.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I feel for you and I have a similar problem: I keep touching the top right half to turn pages, and get the stupid menu in the way. I wish they had a narrower top touch area for the menu, because it is driving me nuts.
I love my PW, but I really, really hope that they will add page turn areas to the bezel of the next PW iteration. I like the touch screen, just not for turning pages.

Also, with the Amazon case around it, I find it a bit easier to hold, as it gives the bezel a bit more grip.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
If you can get into the habit of swiping to turn pages, you no longer have to worry about the "tap zones". A swipe works anywhere on the screen.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
My Paperwhite is nearly 3 weeks old. I have lost count of the times I have lost my place reading a book on it.

The screen is the best I have ever seen but I just cannot get on with the touch screen. My thumb just wanders over the screen and before I know it I am suddenly 30 or so pages further on. Confusion then ensues trying to find my place again.

The bezel is too narrow for me, my hands are not large, just average size for a female. I tried putting it in its case upside down which did help but then I was forever ensuring that I had indeed only turned one page instead of concentrating on the story.
I have been saying this for sometime and it's still true as bezels get smaller.

GET A COVER! A good cover makes holding the reader easier. A good cover does two things. It helps you hold the reader and it gives a level of protection for the reader. So a good cover is a win-win. Get one and you may find yourself surprised at how easy it is to use a touch only reader. I have a 650 with the light cover and I have no problem holding it and I've only used the page turn buttons to make sure they worked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Use bookmarks whenever you pause your reading. Also, sync to furthest page read when finished with a reading session.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Use bookmarks whenever you pause your reading. Also, sync to furthest page read when finished with a reading session.
That won't help. The issue is that the bezel is too small to read on a naked PW and thus the OP's thumb hits the screen and the pages turn while reading.

A good cover will give more room to hold the PW without the small bezel being an issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Cover

I did have a Tuff-Luv cover for it. It fitted very snuggly. I wanted a cover with a stand because I read while eating.

The problem I had only occurred reading in bed when laying on my side. With hindsight, I should have looked for a cover that had more width at the edges.

But, I still hope that Amazon will issue their future Paperwhites with page-turning buttons on the bezel. I like the touch screen in general but not for the repetitive act of turning pages.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I really don't have a problem with this. I have a cover that makes holding the PW pretty comfortable, so maybe that's the difference. I actually like the touchscreen much more than I though I would with just one exception; when reading the NYT it's more of a two-handed affair than it was using the D-pad on my old K3K. If Amazon could add a gesture for "back to section view" it would solve that problem.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
If you can get into the habit of swiping to turn pages, you no longer have to worry about the "tap zones". A swipe works anywhere on the screen.
True, alas I find it hard to unlearn the touch only motion that I am used to from my tablets.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote