Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
reidjr
reidjr began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook 500
Thinking abiut buying a sony ebook

I am really looking at getting the new sony ebook but i have some questions.

1)I am in canada i know we can't access the sony book store.Can i format books from say another store and put it on this device.

2)How hard is it to format the books for this player.

Thanks for your help and time.
reidjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead reidjr, glad you found us.

While it is true that you cannot currently purchase books from Sony Connect with a Canadian credit card, many from non-US countries have acquired prepaid "gift cards" for Sony Connect and purchased books that way.

Several publishers -- SteveJordanBooks and Fictionwise come to mind quickly -- also publish some (Fictionwise) or all (SteveJordanBooks) of their books in Sony format. Many people have reported excellent success in converting MS Reader formatted books (LIT) to the Sony format of LRF.

Now the tools to do this are free and available through links in the MobileRead Wiki. The two best tools are libprs500 and Book Designer. Both are well supported by their creators and have an extensive user community here at MobileRead.

How hard is it to format books for the Sony Reader? Not very hard at all to get something easily readable. It is a bit harder to get something great depending upon your source material.

By the way, Fictionwise has over 6,000 books formatted for the Sony and all of them were created with libprs500. (Don't worry, the files will work with either the PRS-500 or the PRS-505.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
How hard is it to format books for the Sony Reader? Not very hard at all to get something easily readable. It is a bit harder to get something great depending upon your source material.
I find a lot of the books I've converted are just as good as the original source. So I don't see the difference between good and great.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote