Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
nellow
nellow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
No Title Header in 0.4.91?

I always liked the option to show a header, which defaulted to "Title by Autor", which means you can see at a glance what book you currently have without leavin gpage. This seems to have gone on latest release. Can I petition to get it back please! Using Sony 505.
nellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
nellow
nellow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ahh...I see it is only lost when I convert to epub format. LRF supports it ok.

Is there any advantage to using epub on the Sony 505 instead of LRF when converting? I do like fully justified pages, and it seems epub defaults to no right justification.
nellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
EPUB crashes less.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Is there any way to get right justification on epub files? I too like a book fully justified.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, that's a limitation of the epub rendering software.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
will it be possible at some time to include a header in epub (i mean just a simple, invariable "title by author" or similar, on every page) ? i love my page headers... i've just found how to do this in lrf but i don't see how to do it in epub.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The EPUB spec (as far as I know) doesn't have support for header and footers. It needs an Adobe proprietary extension to EPUB to support them. So while it probably will happen eventually, it's not a priority
Old 12-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The EPUB spec (as far as I know) doesn't have support for header and footers. It needs an Adobe proprietary extension to EPUB to support them. So while it probably will happen eventually, it's not a priority
what about a div with :
Code:
display: oeb-page-head;
would that work ?

i can maybe add that manually, if necessary.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 12-15-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I don't know, try it and see
Old 12-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I don't know, try it and see
heh, i will... i tried it already in the built-in viewer, it doesn't work there but i'm hoping it will work on the real device. but i don't have a sony (yet) so i can't test it for real. when i test it, if it works, can you add it to calibre ?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can test it using either Adobe DE or the sony connect software. If it works, it's easy enough to add to calibre.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

ah, okay ! thanks for the tip. i'll let you know. (just have to install the sony / adobe soft first )
Old 12-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Is there any way to get right justification on epub files? I too like a book fully justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
No, that's a limitation of the epub rendering software.
I'm quite surprised by that, nay shocked (get over it!). Is there really no right justification in EPUB? How strange and disappointing.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I'm quite surprised by that, nay shocked (get over it!). Is there really no right justification in EPUB? How strange and disappointing.
i suppose it depends on your perspective : i'd rather not see reflowable texts justified, since you can't manage the tracking and kerning (spaces between words on a line of text, or between letters of a word). justified text done badly is really ugly, full of holes and odd spacing and "rivers". i much prefer left aligned. i do realise i'm in the minority in that view.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I will have to give it a go some time - it is probably one of those things that you can get use to quite easily.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote