Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Missing book

A book I am reading -- Full Circle, by Ellen MacArthur -- suddenly refused to open, and there was an error message saying the file may be corrupted.

I deleted the book and connected to Kobo Desktop to reload it. It was on Desktop, which synced annotations with my KT but said all my books were on my reader. Not so.

I then connected to my Kobo account through my browser, went to my library, and found that the book was not listed there. I searched for it, and when I selected it I was told that it was already in my library. I clicked on the button below the cover picture on the search results page, and when I then went to my library the book was now there.

I re-connected my KT by WiFi and pressed the sync button, but when sync was completed the missing book was still missing.

I then started Desktop again, and now the book was missing from there also and was not downloaded when Desktop synced.

I went back to my Kobo account through the browser, and found that the book had again disappeared from my library.

I am using ver 2.1.1 which I manually installed some weeks ago. I have bought and downloaded and read several books since then without problem, so feel there must be some other problem. (Even if there were a problem on the reader, the book should still download to the Desktop, right?)

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Tom K.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Go to the Kobo store on the Kobo Touch and enter the title or author of your book. When the search returns the title of the book select BUY NOW. If Kobo has a record of your purchase, a screen will be presented with a DOWNLOAD button. Touch the DOWNLOAD button and your book will be downloaded to your e-reader. The next time you load the Desktop application your book should also be added there.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
I noticed that you didn't do a restart of your touch. I've had a couple of screwy things happen that have been resolved with a simple restart. Probably won't help in your case but wouldn't hurt to try.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
If you are unable to restore your book by the previous suggestions I would contact Kobo. They should have a record of your purchase and may be able to assist you.

This is precisely why I download all of my books as epubs, remove DRM and then back them up. Once you have your book back again perhaps you should consider a suitable back up system to make sure this doesn't happen to you again.

Last edited by HarleyB; 10-14-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Can't spell
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Go to the Kobo store on the Kobo Touch and enter the title or author of your book. When the search returns the title of the book select BUY NOW. If Kobo has a record of your purchase, a screen will be presented with a DOWNLOAD button. Touch the DOWNLOAD button and your book will be downloaded to your e-reader. The next time you load the Desktop application your book should also be added there.
Thanks, Joe63. I just did that, but Kobo now seems to be offering a different edition of this book. Instead of being put in my library it was downloaded to ADE. It has a different cover, and the page numbers are not chapter-by-chapter but are of the whole book.

Anyway I do have it in ADE and on my KT, but not in Desktop or in My Library. Have I done something wrong, or is it that they've probably switched to a different edition of the book?

Thanks,
Tom K.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Once you have your book back again perhaps you should consider a suitable back up system to make sure this doesn't happen to you again.
Thanks HarleyB. I've been able to retrieve the book, and will consider your back-up suggestion.
Tom K.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidoid View Post
I noticed that you didn't do a restart of your touch. I've had a couple of screwy things happen that have been resolved with a simple restart. Probably won't help in your case but wouldn't hurt to try.
Tried it and it didn't help. But thanks for the suggestion.
Tom K.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
Thanks, Joe63. I just did that, but Kobo now seems to be offering a different edition of this book. Instead of being put in my library it was downloaded to ADE. It has a different cover, and the page numbers are not chapter-by-chapter but are of the whole book.

Anyway I do have it in ADE and on my KT, but not in Desktop or in My Library. Have I done something wrong, or is it that they've probably switched to a different edition of the book?

Thanks,
Tom K.
Yes, you have done something wrong. You appear to have applied my instructions to retrieve your book by using your computer and the Kobo website. To have your book downloaded to your Touch you must access the Kobo store via your Touch. From the main screen in version 2.1.4 of the firmware access the Kobo store via the find icon (magnifying glass) or via Find Books>Search Kobo. Please note that if you are able to successfully follow these instructions that you will now end up with two copies of the same book - the KEPUB version and the ADE EPUB version.

Last edited by Joe563; 10-14-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: More info
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Yes, you have done something wrong.
Thanks Joe563. This time I followed your instructions to the letter and now have the Kobo version of the book.
Thanks again.
Tom K.