Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #14161
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm almost done with Ash. It started off well but I'm sad to say it's becoming a bit boring. If I read "the senior psychologist/investigator" much more I'll go nuts.

It's almost as if adjectives are being totally overused to fill the book out, and one scene in particular went on for far too long.

I should hopefully finish it tonight then I can move on to Little Star.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #14162
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I am on a (re) read of Lord of the Rings and enjoying in immensely. It is so soothing to read an old favorite and I hadn't read it since before the first movie came out, except in bits and pieces as fanfic research.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #14163
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Just starting 'Master and Commander.' I'm 50 pages in and hooked like a flounder!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #14164
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Whale Song by Cheryl K Tardif.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #14165
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Just starting 'Master and Commander.' I'm 50 pages in and hooked like a flounder!

Stitchawl

I just Started Desolation Island.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #14166
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
I envy you that first exposure to the O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin books! Mine was so long ago that it has faded a bit, but each time I come back to the series for a re-read, it's a fresh and exciting adventure.

For those who prefer, there are excellent audio book versions of all the novels. This was actually my first exposure to them, back when audio book meant "Books on Tape".
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #14167
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Meanwhile, I'm struggling through An Infamous Army. One of my least favourite Heyer's. And at the same time, I'm listening to Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. A good book, but with some real dead spots at the beginning.
Finished An Infamous Army. Finally. Heyer should stick to romance.

Meanwhile, nearly done with Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, read by Kevin Collins. More on that in the audiobook thread.

Started the new Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes book by Laurie King: Garment of Shadows. I'm hooked, as always. This is an excellent series and highly recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #14168
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Laurie R. King and Hugh Howey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished my re-read of the first book in the James Potter series by G. Norman Lippert, James Potter and the The Hall of Elders Crossing. As with the first time I read it this was a very fun read this second time around as well.

I've decided to spread out the James Potter fun by interspersing the three Potter books with other types of stories so Im going to next read the just released 12th Mary Russell novel, Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
... Started the new Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes book by Laurie King: Garment of Shadows. I'm hooked, as always. This is an excellent series and highly recommended.
I just finished reading of the twelfth (and just released) novel in the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King, Garment of Shadows. It was great , exciting, suspenseful, engaging and that makes it a lot like the other eleven books in the series though also different in many ways! They all are like this. a lot like the others, but also quite different.

On now to the third book in Hugh Howey's Molly Fyde series, Molly Fyde and the Blood of Billions! I feel the need to be traveling on a starship for a while!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #14169
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
For the past year, I have been (re)discovering an author named Quentin Patrick. In the UK and US he is known under the names Q. Patrick/Patrick Quentin/Jonathan Stagge. All three names (four if we count the Norwegian variant of the name) are pseudonyms for Hugh Callingham Wheeler, Richard Wilson Webb, Martha Mott Kelley and Mary Louise White Aswell who wrote mysteries together for more than 20 years under the three aliases.

His books (I say "he" and "his" because it is is more convenient and natural to me) are not easy to find here in Norway, even though he was a very popular author and printed in large numbers. Unfortunately it's been a long time since the last reprint, and many of his books have begun to disappear from the libraries because of wear. His most famous book, "The Death and the Maiden", is the only one that is regularly reprinted at least once a decade.

He wrote mysteries of the classical kind, in the era called The Golden Age of Detective Fiction. The plots are very good, the characters interesting (not exactly believable and realistic, but charming and picturesque), and the focus for the reader is on the detective intrigue with its arsenal of clues and red herrings, i.e. puzzles of the classical kind.

I was just wondering if this author is as forgotten in UK and US as he is here in Norway? During the 1950's to the 1970's, he was very popular. Even during the war (second world war), with paper rationing and all, Q. Patrick was one of the authors "chosen" to be translated and published. Today he is almost sadly forgotten.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #14170
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Patrick Quentin on Amazon in USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post
For the past year, I have been (re)discovering an author named Quentin Patrick. In the UK and US he is known under the names Q. Patrick/Patrick Quentin/Jonathan Stagge. All three names (four if we count the Norwegian variant of the name) are pseudonyms for Hugh Callingham Wheeler, Richard Wilson Webb, Martha Mott Kelley and Mary Louise White Aswell who wrote mysteries together for more than 20 years under the three aliases.

His books (I say "he" and "his" because it is is more convenient and natural to me) are not easy to find here in Norway, even though he was a very popular author and printed in large numbers. Unfortunately it's been a long time since the last reprint, and many of his books have begun to disappear from the libraries because of wear. His most famous book, "The Death and the Maiden", is the only one that is regularly reprinted at least once a decade.

He wrote mysteries of the classical kind, in the era called The Golden Age of Detective Fiction. The plots are very good, the characters interesting (not exactly believable and realistic, but charming and picturesque), and the focus for the reader is on the detective intrigue with its arsenal of clues and red herrings, i.e. puzzles of the classical kind.

I was just wondering if this author is as forgotten in UK and US as he is here in Norway? During the 1950's to the 1970's, he was very popular. Even during the war (second world war), with paper rationing and all, Q. Patrick was one of the authors "chosen" to be translated and published. Today he is almost sadly forgotten.
Check out this Amazon link. Not much new.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #14171
Kindoll
Enthusiast
Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I finished Ash. It pains me to say I was disappointed.

I've since started Little Star which is pretty interesting so far.
Kindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #14172
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I finished On Basilisk Station last night, my first Honor Harrington novel, and first by David Weber. I enjoyed it enough to bump some other things down and just started The Honor of the Queen.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #14173
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by norway1456 View Post

Sadly, they are not well known. The books long out of print even Amazon turns up empty new or used for many of them.

Mary Aswell died a few years ago. She was last surviving author. Perhaps, their estates will allow ebook reissue someday.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #14174
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Sadly, they are not well known. The books long out of print even Amazon turns up empty new or used for many of them.

Mary Aswell died a few years ago. She was last surviving author. Perhaps, their estates will allow ebook reissue someday.
That's too bad! The books are really good. At least for those who like the golden age mysteries. But I have had the same experience in Norway; the only libraries that have a good selection of Patrick is the National Library and the University Libraries. I certainly hope for a reissue. I'd buy whatever gets published on day one. I saw the selection on Amazon vas very poor, but Abebooks and alibris have better selections (as always when it comes to vintage books).

Fortuantely, the library at my university has an almost complete collection. And the librarians at the public library have been very kind to allow me a great deal of interlibrary loans on a lot of books as well.

But it looks to me their books are better known here than in the US. The last time a book by Patrick was published here was in 2004.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #14175
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just finished "The Book With No Name" by Anonymous (a strange anochronistic little number which I have just found has two sequels that I'm tempted to try), and started "A Wanted Man" by Lee Child.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote