Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
Amazon Will Soon Allow Kindle Users to Lend Ebooks

Answering the competition from Nook. It will be interesting to see if they do a better job of it (e.g., being able to lend a book more than once), though I'm sure the publishers will try to restrict them.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/22/ama...8TechCrunch%29
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
I read the announcement linked in the techcrunch.com article and the policy is exactly the same as B&N's, which means that the whole thing is controlled by the publishers who allow the lending. Otherwise I'm sure Amazon would throw in a little extra to stick it to the competition.
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
From the horse's mouth:

Quote:
Each book can be lent once for a loan period of 14-days and the lender cannot read the book during the loan period. Additionally, not all e-books will be lendable - this is solely up to the publisher or rights holder, who determines which titles are enabled for lending.
Sounds identical to the B&N LendMe program to me. Which are the same terms that Bezos ridiculed in an interview with New York Times Magazine last December.

Last edited by Doug Pardee; 10-22-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
This is why competition is good. Without the pressure from the nook the kindle may still not have lending, wi-fi or a lower price.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I do find this lending feature quite limited and useless.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
It's a first step and not useless for DRM-protected books.
Well, removing DRM maybe a better solution.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yet another duplicate thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Irving View Post
...the policy is exactly the same as B&N's, which means that the whole thing is controlled by the publishers who allow the lending. Otherwise I'm sure Amazon would throw in a little extra to stick it to the competition.
That is a plausible reason but not the only possibility.

Amazon may have made this change so as to remove one of Barnes & Noble's competitive advantages.

If Barnes & Nobel continues to offer the same lending policy, Amazon needn't do anything further.

For B&N to market lending as a competitive feature, they have to up the ante and offer more - longer lending or multiple loans.

That may cause additional financial hardship to B&N or put them in poor standings with their supplier-publishers, assuming it isn't publishers setting the limits, as you've rightly suggested may be the case.

It's an excellent tactical move on Amazon's part.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
eh If I want to share books, I add a person to my account and they can read my books. It is really easy and I can read the book at the same time. The Lending feature always struck me as useless on the Nook and it looks to be the same for the Kindle.

The only pro is that Kindle users no longer have to explain that while it is available for the Nook and not the Kindle it is a pretty useless feature. (winks)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
It's an excellent tactical move on Amazon's part.
Huh? Offering the same old feature that Bezos ridculed makes Amazon looks lame and is just trying to play "catch up" and "me too".
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
Dandy55
Dandy55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Huh? Offering the same old feature that Bezos ridculed makes Amazon looks lame and is just trying to play "catch up" and "me too".
What is wrong with adding reasonable features even if it comes from competition? If it makes sense - it is OK.
Dandy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandy55 View Post
What is wrong with adding reasonable features even if it comes from competition? If it makes sense - it is OK.
There is nothing wrong with adding features that comes from competition. All Amazon did is match the offering of B&N which is like you said - it is ok, but there is nothing excellent tactical about the move.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #13
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I'll rephrase.

The move requires limited risk to Amazon and it eliminates an advantage of its main competitor.

It's safe to assume the average consumer doesn't know who Jeff Bezos is or what he's said.
If they do know, they probably don't care enough for it to influence their purchase decisions.

Purchase decisions will be based on the features on the box.
This move crosses one difference off the list when choosing between Kindle and Nook.

Last edited by cjottawa; 11-01-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: clarity
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote