Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #16
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARPed1701D View Post
Do you know if the ports in your PC are USB 3.0 or 2.0? If 3.0 do you have an old 2.0 hub you can run the Kobo through to see if connects?

What is also odd if I have a Belkin travel surge protector that has two USB charging ports on it. When I connect my Kobo to it for charging it detects it as a data connection and gives me the connect screen, and that is just a charger with not data component to it. Yet nothing on my Surface Book.
I was using a 2.0 USB.
I know and did have issues w/ USB 3.0 ports, that's why I always use an USB 2.0 port.

Yes, I plan to try w/ an USB 2.0 hub, maybe it works.
It's a pain in the but right now bc I have the Calibre on my PC not my Chromebook ...
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #17
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hmm, interesting: with unpowered USB 2.0 hub it didn't work. However I have tried another USB 2.0 port (in the back on my PC) and with that one works.
I repeat that I didn't have any issues whatsoever before with the port that I tried originally.
The only difference that I can see between the two is that the one I tried originally supports giving more power that the standard says. The one that works doesn't mention that.
I know that there can be a lot of differences between ports, I should probably check my motherboard's specs.

Regardless, based on the error messages that I see when it doesn't work and this difference between the non-working and working port I have a feeling that the USB implementation of the Aura One is having some problems and some of the hand-shaking discussion wrt to the power to use is not optimal.
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #18
WARPed1701D
WARPed1701D can read faster than his screen refreshesWARPed1701D can read faster than his screen refreshesWARPed1701D can read faster than his screen refreshesWARPed1701D can read faster than his screen refreshesWARPed1701D can read faster than his screen refreshesWARPed1701D can read faster than his screen refreshesWARPed1701D can read faster than his screen refreshesWARPed1701D can read faster than his screen refreshesWARPed1701D can read faster than his screen refreshesWARPed1701D can read faster than his screen refreshesWARPed1701D can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I had this issue last night (first time plugging it in). I used another USB cable (Amazon Basics) and the Surface Pro 4 recognized it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Hmm, interesting: with unpowered USB 2.0 hub it didn't work. However I have tried another USB 2.0 port (in the back on my PC) and with that one works.
I repeat that I didn't have any issues whatsoever before with the port that I tried originally.
The only difference that I can see between the two is that the one I tried originally supports giving more power that the standard says. The one that works doesn't mention that.
I know that there can be a lot of differences between ports, I should probably check my motherboard's specs.

Regardless, based on the error messages that I see when it doesn't work and this difference between the non-working and working port I have a feeling that the USB implementation of the Aura One is having some problems and some of the hand-shaking discussion wrt to the power to use is not optimal.
Thanks for following up. Anyone else having any issues? In particular anyone with a Surface Book?
WARPed1701D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #19
dnastase
Addict

Quote:

Ok, it gets even stranger. The USB port in the back of the PC that worked just fine for all this time, yesterday it stopped working too w/ the Aura One
I have no idea what's going on !
Old 10-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Ok, it gets even stranger. The USB port in the back of the PC that worked just fine for all this time, yesterday it stopped working too w/ the Aura One
I have no idea what's going on !
Occasionally, I have one of the USB ports on my laptop stop recognising my Kobo devices. Windows displays a "unrecognised device" message. So I switch to another port and it works OK for a while. But, that one can stop working too. When this happens, nothing plugged into these ports works properly. And I have to reboot to get them both working again.

The third port is stranger. It works perfectly for the Glo HD, but neither the Glo or Aura H2O ever see it. They both charge, but the prompt to connect isn't displayed. The annoying thing about this is that it is the port that charges devices when the laptop is off. That makes it the sensible port for these sort of devices, but as it doesn't work with these devices, it isn't as useful.

I don't know if these problems are caused by the Kobo devices or something on the laptop. The Kobo devices are the only USB devices I frequently connect. There is a receiver for the mouse plugged in permanently, but it can be months between connecting anything else.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #21
dnastase
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Occasionally, I have one of the USB ports on my laptop stop recognising my Kobo devices. Windows displays a "unrecognised device" message. So I switch to another port and it works OK for a while. But, that one can stop working too. When this happens, nothing plugged into these ports works properly. And I have to reboot to get them both working again.

The third port is stranger. It works perfectly for the Glo HD, but neither the Glo or Aura H2O ever see it. They both charge, but the prompt to connect isn't displayed. The annoying thing about this is that it is the port that charges devices when the laptop is off. That makes it the sensible port for these sort of devices, but as it doesn't work with these devices, it isn't as useful.

I don't know if these problems are caused by the Kobo devices or something on the laptop. The Kobo devices are the only USB devices I frequently connect. There is a receiver for the mouse plugged in permanently, but it can be months between connecting anything else.
In my usage and experience w/ my PC it's only the Kobo Aura One actually that I have these issues.
All the other devices that connect via USB (and I play w/ very many), including e-readers, including *all* the other Kobo e-readers are working nicely. On any of the USB ports of my PC (of which I have like 6 USB2 and 6 USB 3).
That's why I'm super puzzled about the Aura One ...

And an update: I managed to make it work again via a powered USB hub. Let's see for how long ...
Old 10-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #22
dnastase
Addict

And another update: I have upgraded to the latest firmware (4.1.7729), just hoping that it fixes my USB connection issue, but no, same behaviour...
Old 10-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #23
dnastase
Addict

Quote:
And another update: I have upgraded to the latest firmware (4.1.7729), just hoping that it fixes my USB connection issue, but no, same behaviour...
Nope, it only seemed like it's working
Old 10-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #24
Griffon
Griffon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I just came here searching for help with a similar issue. I also have a Surface Book and a Kobo Aura One that is not recognised when I plug it in via USB. I've tried various ports, hubs and cables but the same result. I had this problem when I initially got the Aura One that was caused by the Windows Anniversary update. After that was fixed I had a short period when it then worked but it's now back to not working again.
Griffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:40 AM   #25
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I wrote about this somewhere else, I don't remember where. My One is only detected when I go through the dock. Microsoft customer service explained it was because it had more power than the Book itself.

EDIT: Found the link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=271146

Last edited by anacreon; 10-20-2016 at 01:42 AM.
anacreon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #26
LuckyL
LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!LuckyL , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I can confirm that this happens both with my Kobo Aura HD and Kobo Aura One (which by now I returned for refund) on all my Windows 10 machines (Surface Book, SP4). My old Sony Reader and Kindle connects without problems.
The readers are however recognised on a SP2 running Windows 8.1.

Hard to say whether this is a Windows or Kobo problem but since only Kobo devices are affected, it fits my overall poor experience with Kobo's QA and support.
LuckyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #27
dnastase
Addict

It is a Kobo problem. Like I mentioned before, I have a LOT of various types of devices that connect via USB, and I only have one PC and all of them worked just fine with it. Just the Kobo Aura One has this issue ...

It's hard to believe a monster of a PC, with all sorts of USB ports (USB2, USB3, USB2+extra power for charging) doesn't have enough current to provide a device.

On the other hand I have a puny Chromebook that works just fine w/ the Aura One
Old 10-22-2016, 08:08 PM   #28
TomTanderson
TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Surface Book

Aura H2O and Aura One aren't recognised when connected to my Surface Book whatever USB cable I try (including the Kobo cable).

My Aura HD is recognised though.

I appreciate a hub may solve the problem but when I'm travelling I don't want to drag one around with me. I very much doubt it is a power issue, I suspect it is because the hubs regenerate the signal but in a format that is recognisable by the Surface Book.

Fortunately I rarely download sideloaded books via USB. I have Calibre running as a server on a server and download them wirelessly through the web browser otherwise it would be a major inconvenience.

You can do something similar by running Calibre with the web interface enabled on your Surface Book and setting the wifi as a mobile hotspot. You can then connect your Aura to Calibre on the laptop wirelessly.
TomTanderson is offline   Reply With Quote